Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
How is it in other countries? I assume that at least in the USA it is important to show how much one earns?
American here and no. Only the obnoxious folks talk about their salaries here for the most part.

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
American here and no. Only the obnoxious folks talk about their salaries here for the most part.
Another American here and I agree. Americans are famous for defining themselves by the work they do. But, paradoxically, discussing salary is considered verboten.

Public sector employee salaries are a matter of public record and are easily looked up. Even then, it is considered bad form amongst the relevant employees to discuss them.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
OK, I have to confess I am a bit shocked at that information; I somehow assumed that in the states it is important for people to know how much they are making when compared to their peers.

Last edited by juiceme; 2017-12-25 at 15:48. Reason: typo

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I have a first-hand experience with two countries, Slovakia and the UK. I also have a second-hand experience - through relatives living there - with three more: Czechia, Italy and Ukraine. And it is the same everywhere. No one talks about their salaries except with their spouse and, sometimes, close friends. The Ukrainian contact is the most secretive.

I am in two minds about openness of such kind. I can see the potential benefits but also the drawbacks, as exemplified by the recent furore about the "pay gaps" in various organizations. People tend to focus on how much more Jack earns than Mary but somehow forget the tiny details such as how much more Jack gives to the company, how much more overtime he works, or, in case of celebrities like actors and tennis players, how many more crowds he brings in.

In short, I agree that person X and pesron Y shoud get the same amount of money for the same amount of work. The tricky bit is proving they do the same amount of work.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I have a first-hand experience with two countries, Slovakia and the UK. I also have a second-hand experience - through relatives living there - with three more: Czechia, Italy and Ukraine. And it is the same everywhere. No one talks about their salaries except with their spouse and, sometimes, close friends. The Ukrainian contact is the most secretive.
Thanks, that knowledge is valluable to me when formulating my thesis. It indeed seems to be a global phenomenon and not only related to workers in Finland as I first assumed.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I am in two minds about openness of such kind. I can see the potential benefits but also the drawbacks, as exemplified by the recent furore about the "pay gaps" in various organizations. People tend to focus on how much more Jack earns than Mary but somehow forget the tiny details such as how much more Jack gives to the company, how much more overtime he works, or, in case of celebrities like actors and tennis players, how many more crowds he brings in.

In short, I agree that person X and pesron Y shoud get the same amount of money for the same amount of work. The tricky bit is proving they do the same amount of work.
Ah, but now this is exactly the beef in the situation here!
To ensure fair compensation for the work done requires competent leadership/management and in many cases that is an essence that is missing in many companies.

Hiding the issue is not the answer; just like in SWD agile methods and Kaizen work because the problems are made visible and not hidden away and smoothed over, similarily management should be visible to correct the problems therein!

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Fair and available salaries are a tiny issue for a select few. A bigger issue is that its very expensive to be poor.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...