Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by eekkelund View Post
MWC press release from Jolla!
https://jolla.com/wp-content/uploads..._240216_65.pdf
Fairphone and Sailfish OS evaluating future collaboration
With Fairphone, Jolla shares a very active community that values transparency both in
hardware production and software. Since autumn 2015 the Jolla developer community has
been working to port Sailfish OS to the Fairphone 2, the ethical smartphone that uses
modular design to increase the phone’s longevity and reparability. Following the progress
of the community porting, Jolla and Fairphone are now evaluating possibilities to enter into
commercial collaboration based on common values.
Apart from Intex, I hope Jolla can successfully make a partnership with fairphone and bring official port to FP2. And we will (finally) have a device than can last for years.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
That's it guys, I am done with Jolla.

It'll be nearly 2.5 years since the Jolla 1 was released, and since then we've been waiting, waiting, waiting for a sucessor. I am long overdue a new phone, but was hoping we would see something positive for MWC. After the tablet debacle, we now find out that Jolla are doing an Africa phone, an India phone (never to see release in Europe) and an unofficial Fairphone port (unofficial ports for overpriced hardware just does not do it for me). It really does look like Jolla have just decided to abandon the core European market in the hope they can chase emerging market growth. Personally, I think this is a mistake, as platform loyalty exists here. I think it's going to be more difficult for Jolla (really, impossible) to compete with $10-$20 Android devices.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
They scamed Europe and NA so need to release anything there until all are refunded. Africa is perfect for Jolla.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
They scamed Europe and NA so need to release anything there until all are refunded. Africa is perfect for Jolla.
scam scam, refund refund, scam, refund.

Is that you prometheus?

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Life is a scam and then you die?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
They scamed failed in Europe and NA so need to release anything there until all are refunded try something less ambitious. Africa is perfect for Jolla.
There. Fixed it for ya.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Reading these repetitive posts is a scam of our time. You're lucky people quote them or many of us wouldn't see them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drekkie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
There. Fixed it for ya.
Stop make false QUOTEs in somebody elses name. its not cool.

I consider it to be a scam to do so.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
After the tablet debacle, we now find out that Jolla are doing an Africa phone, an India phone (never to see release in Europe) and an unofficial Fairphone port (unofficial ports for overpriced hardware just does not do it for me).
It's unfair to call Fairphone hardware overpriced. They've specific reasons why their phone costs what it costs - ironically the very reasons why phones that Intex and miphone ship are so cheap.

It really does look like Jolla have just decided to abandon the core European market in the hope they can chase emerging market growth.
I don't think it's their decision. They tried with their own handset and massively failed. They no longer have the money or staff to do that again.

Personally, I think this is a mistake, as platform loyalty exists here. I think it's going to be more difficult for Jolla (really, impossible) to compete with $10-$20 Android devices.
Really? You think there is still platform loyalty? IMHO it's just hangers on hoping there's some miracle to prevent an iOS/Android future.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
...we now find out that Jolla are doing an Africa phone, an India phone (never to see release in Europe) and an unofficial Fairphone port (unofficial ports for overpriced hardware just does not do it for me). It really does look like Jolla have just decided to abandon the core European market in the hope they can chase emerging market growth. Personally, I think this is a mistake, as platform loyalty exists here. I think it's going to be more difficult for Jolla (really, impossible) to compete with $10-$20 Android devices.
I'm of two minds here... I get your point, actually agree. I'm in the North American market and imagine the lack of impact here - at least you've had one solid release by Jolla so far. We've had none.

Partnering and growing their base may ensure longevity. And doing so in emerging markets might disrupt the growth of Android in those areas directly whereas they're less likely to make a dent in Europe. And when they do release the Jolla Phone 2, it will come with refinements and more user input than before (due to expanded user base).

But I get your point; not even disagreeing. Guess they'd need to refocus on the areas they've released something at least once to make those fans "happy". But let's be honest... would you buy from them right now? If I were management, I'd assume not. So go where folks will buy - interesting point about the sub $20 devices though. That's definitely outside of Jolla's intended audience right now.

Last edited by gerbick; 2016-02-24 at 14:39.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: