Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
Maybe the way he communicated them were not the best, bit how is getting his money he paid for product he never received are selfish?
He paid into a crowdfunding site and then got stroppy when things went south. Fundamentally misunderstanding that crowdfunding is a risk and the project owner will try to do what they promised, but problems inevitably happen. He's now clutching onto one clause in the IGG terms and another misunderstanding of how software/product development happens in a (successfully) opportunistic attempt to get his money back by representing Jolla as maliciously negligent.
If I were the person at Amex dealing with his complaint I would have told him to get lost, but luckily for him, someone less technically-inclined processed his claim.
He got his cash back. Amex will somehow take money back from indiegogo who will somehow take it back from Jolla, causing problems for both indiegogo and Jolla.
He's probably blacklisted himself from ever using indiegogo again too given his backdoor money-retrieval, rather than waiting for the normal resolution almost everyone else is getting.

Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
Wow, you are really special... You are calling me selfish? You trully have an issue man.
No, when I'm in the same (bad) boat as a load of other people, I don't try to get preferential treatment.

Before you start to point finger and call people selfish, maybe you should read Indiegogo terms of use. I know that Jolla definitely should.
This bit? (look, I can cherry-pick too!)
If a Campaign Owner is unable to perform on any promise and/or commitment to Contributors, the Campaign Owner will work with the Contributors to reach a mutually satisfactory resolution, which may include the issuance of a refund of Contributions by the Campaign Owner.
Which is what they're doing. But you want your refund faster at the potential expense of everyone else. Good on you.

Originally Posted by elastic View Post
Then again, when I see that you are from London England, I am not surprised about your comments.
what does that mean now?
I think he's trying to suggest that I'm some kind of elitist metropolitan snob and felt the need to insult me back as I insulted him. Shots fired. 1-all.

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
Damn it, no need to get the popcorn out now
Nah, tuck in. I'm having some chocolate and salted caramel small batch hand-popped artisan popcorn, because I'm from London of course.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
He paid into a crowdfunding site and then got stroppy when things went south. Fundamentally misunderstanding that crowdfunding is a risk and the project owner will try to do what they promised, but problems inevitably happen. He's now clutching onto one clause in the IGG terms and another misunderstanding of how software/product development happens in a (successfully) opportunistic attempt to get his money back by representing Jolla as maliciously negligent.
If I were the person at Amex dealing with his complaint I would have told him to get lost, but luckily for him, someone less technically-inclined processed his claim.
He got his cash back. Amex will somehow take money back from indiegogo who will somehow take it back from Jolla, causing problems for both indiegogo and Jolla.
He's probably blacklisted himself from ever using indiegogo again too given his backdoor money-retrieval, rather than waiting for the normal resolution almost everyone else is getting.
You are right, but again — you are wrong.
Yes IGG is a crowdfunding site and you could not expect that final product will reach you. But then what make a difference between me or anyone opening some project, getting money and not getting the product to customer and ran away with money.
There are a lot of scams project there (ubuntu tablet from some lady was discussed here a lot — as an example). I think the big difference between actual project is intentions and communication. Jolla delayed product for more than a half year without explanation and no communication. They had difficulties multiple times and i think they had enough information to know that it might blow, but they decided to tell that everything is ok and keep promissing soon, till the balloon popped as it usually happens in those situations.
Moreover he tried to communicate with them regarding refund, which in most projects even if they successful is normal procedure if you changed your mind and he got no answer. I think sometimes it's "too late" and in this case it was "too late" for Jolla to announce refund, which is still only promises and even in this promise they not gonna refund all the money straight away.
Meanwhile he lost money and time, as well te value of those money is changin all the time and getting refund more than a year after(if getting at all) is not the best option for a lot of people, especially if it's month salary for most of them in most cases.
Jolla could easily communicate with him and clear the situation but they decided to push him away and he had nothing to do. It's his money and he wanted to get them back, so he fought for himself.
Like in most relationships the communication and mutual respect is very important key so succeed and to build trust and cooperation.

As of your example of what would you do if you would work in Amex — thanks god that you are not working there. This attitude is actually used in a lot of companies and thus the world currently in the situation that major companies screw the "little guy" over again and again. And you should understand that Jolla is not just some guy from street trying hard to get home made project and thus it's really different from another crowdfunding project.
There is no white and black here. Otherwise they could send you a brick and if you ask for money back - they would tell you that it's crowdfunding and you can't expect anything from it. So where is the line?

Anyway, good day and awesome weekend to you mate.

Dude said he was out as soon as he got his money. He's got it. Please just let him go in peace so we can be done with the tirade.

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
the ugly thing is...
everyone is right here in this fiasco..
or rather everyone is right to a point...
everyone most certainly is completely justified (to a degree) in their view / stance / approach to the situation.

Everyone is justified and right...
everyone that is..
except for Drekkie...

Oh man...
470 speculative pages ..
it ain't ending...
Not for a long time...
This thread seems to have taken up a life of it's own ...
I think I saw it the other day at my bank asking a rep. about stock options....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpv5kFMcq8I
Except

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by Drekkie View Post
Dude said he was out as soon as he got his money. He's got it. Please just let him go in peace so we can be done with the tirade.
Yep, onwards and upwards. Sailfish is at a crossroads, let's help it succeed!

Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
Yep, onwards and upwards. Sailfish is at a crossroads, let's help it succeed!
I would love to, let's hope they have something exciting for us all to buy at MWC! In a week and a half (aka soon)

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
the ugly thing is...
or rather everyone is right to a point...
everyone most certainly is completely justified (to a degree) in their view / stance / approach to the situation.
I couldn't disagree with you more completely!

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
the ugly thing is...
I'm not. :-)

After being underwhelmed by the phone there was no way I was being a crash test dummy for the tablet.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by aegis View Post

After being underwhelmed by the phone there was no way I was being a crash test dummy for the tablet.
Me neither, riding above such a thing as a thing as fiasco. I got 999 problems but a tab ain't one.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by aegis View Post

Why not? It is fun to be a test dummy

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund