Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Argentina
Hello,

A very alpha port of Navit (GPS software) is ready for the Internet tablet, it works with vector maps, including Garmin maps (routing is not working yet for garmin maps).

Packages are here: http://www.tecdencia.net/navit/

Performance is not the best yet but it's very usable.

Digitally enhanced?

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ajf For This Useful Post:
Yay! I was just about to start trying to get navit working. I can't wait to get home and try this out.

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ South Bend, Indiana
Would the included wayfinder maps with this application? Or the Census maps that Roadmap uses?

spartan, i didn't try it but i don't think it will work. Check section Maps on the wiki http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/Main_Page

Digitally enhanced?

Originally Posted by ajf View Post
spartan, i didn't try it but i don't think it will work. Check section Maps on the wiki http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/Main_Page
either way this is very cool- thank you for putting in the work

Originally Posted by ajf View Post
Looks like it supports the tiger census maps

I had no idea there was a routable OS map. Good show - p'raps I'll joint heir efforts in adding more functionality!

Originally Posted by yabbas View Post
I had no idea there was a routable OS map. Good show - p'raps I'll joint heir efforts in adding more functionality!
Thanks, there's a lot of work to do, optimization is needed and i'm working on making a hildonized gui for a better in-car use (bigger fonts, graphics, etc). Also a SDL interface with 3d tracking would be nice but we should work with the device limits.
Join #navit at freenode if you're interested

Digitally enhanced?

Can you post the block from the xml config for using the garmin maps included with the N810? I checked the wiki but couldn't find either file extension listed.

As for speech, is it just 'flite %s'?

GPSD needs to be tracking data for maps to show up. No maps will show up without a fix and known locale. Don't know what the point is of the "center" variable in the config..perhaps it's used when you set the "car" to be a demo device.

Tried it with the Garmin Euro maps - nothing shows up. Garmin map is a rather large 1.4GB file called GMAPPROM.IMG that has the whole of Europe. Probably not useful if routing doesn't work on Garmin maps.

Tried with OSM maps - works a treat and looks really nice. Odd thing - selecting anything in the data menu clears the map and I can't seem to get it back without restarting Navit.

It's a shame osm2navit wasn't included (though saying that it took a while to execute on my desktop with a small map so this was probably good foresight on your part )

Downloaded the planet data extract for the UK. Used osm2navit from the Windows version of Navit (since I was in Windows) to convert. For those interested:
Extract the bz archive using whatever app you have. I used WinRAR.
Then: osm2navit.exe < WHATEVERTHISISCALLED.osm WHATEVERYOUWNTTOCALLIT.bin

UK OSM is a 30MB file - much nicer. Can't seem to route using it though

Will try the Marco Polo Reiseplaner Maps later.

Last edited by yabbas; 2008-03-20 at 15:14.