I'm still getting the hang of the n800, unfortunately I seem to have installed too many applications. Now my device memory is full, and application manager won't let me uninstall- whenever I open it says "operation failed" and nothing shows up under "show installed applications."

I have cleared every file accessible through file manager on the device memory.

Anybody have any ideas? How can I clear up some space? Patience with the newbie is appreciated...

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Never had an N800, but can you remove some on-device user manuals? At least on the N810 that was possible. :-)

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Maybe 'apt-get clean' can also help ? But yes, the manuals and demo images/songs are the first target for deletion.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
Never had an N800, but can you remove some on-device user manuals? At least on the N810 that was possible. :-)
Yes, that does make quite some room on the device (meaning: It is possible to do so on the N800).

You could also remove the Pics, the music and the Video coming with the device - or move them somewhere to one of your SD cards.

If you know what application you want to move to make room, and you are set up to gain root, then you can do 'dpkg --purge name.of.application' from an xterm command line (as root). You can use 'dpkg --list' to list the applications you have installed.

This should work even if the root filesystem is full.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the replies everyone- I have removed all pics/manuals/videos- everything that is possible is off the drive, still not enough room to make the application manager work.

I am not set up to gain root- as and far as what I've read, I need to install another application in order to do that- which brings me back to the original problem. See the conundrum here?

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
go to control panel - memory - device details
to see how much memory you still have and post it here
then I will try to help.

also open x-terminal
type
$mount

and post the output

Available- 2.6MB

~ $ mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on /mnt/initfs type jffs2 (ro)
none on /mnt/initfs/proc type proc (rw)
none on /mnt/initfs/sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /mnt/initfs/tmp type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/mtdblock4 on / type jffs2 (rw,rpsize=1024,rpuid=0,rpuid=30000)
none on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/mmcblk0 on /media/mmc2 type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,uid=299 99,fmask=0133,dmask=0000,codepage=cp437,iocharset= iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8)
/dev/mmcblk1p1 on /media/mmc1 type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,uid=299 99,fmask=0133,dmask=0000,codepage=cp437,iocharset= iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8)

Thanks for any help.

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
/dev/mtdblock4 on / type jffs2 (rw,rpsize=1024,rpuid=0,rpuid=30000)

That shows us you are booting the device from the internal flash which has 250 MB (compressed) and you have used most of it!

You can not use application manager to remove apps so maybe you have to remove some files to make app mgr working again.

If you have installed canola then do this:
$rm -rf .canola
(there is a dot (.) before canola)

Then try to run app mgr again (2MB left is very very low on the memory) to remove some apps you don't really need.

After this, you should consider to boot the device from the internal SD or the external SD not from the internal flash.

The Following User Says Thank You to nhanquy For This Useful Post:
I ran into the same problem this weekend. I own a N800 and tried to install the latest fennec which list under App Manager requiring 12 MB but fails to mention that it requires to install Xul Runner which was 30 MB is size.

My App Manager would not update and list the applications I had installed. So I popped out the battery hoping a hard reset would do the trick. In my case it did. The applications showed up again and I was able to uninstall fennec.

It may not be the logical solution but it did work for me. Although if it didn't work, I would've start blowing apps away left, right and center.