Poll: Best OS for N900?
Poll Options
Best OS for N900?

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Another advantage of Cordia is the ability to have the UI on other devices besides the n900. Yeah we could attempt to port Maemo but if people are already porting Meego for us, why not use that?

That does make me think how Wayland-ready Cordia will be for when MeeGo looks at reducing the usage of X.

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
smoku, any plans on crowdsourcing the localization strings for Cordia?
Let's not hijack the thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
But this is surely about the N900 not other devices and why do we have to start from scratch again with something that will probably take months to even get half the ui Maemo is?.
We have Maemo and it works 80% good and now we have MeeGo that works 5% if that so what is really happening is MeeGo development is going ahead for OTHER devices and not the N900 ! and this is why the slowness of the MeeGo os adaption (and that is all it ever will be) for this device.

I say stick with Maemo for this device as it is good enough to use right now where the others are not.

MeeGo should be developed for OTHER devices leaving the N900 out of it alltogether and that is exactly what is happening here hence why it is only 5% good for the N900.

Too much confusion is now present because of all this and it deters progression on Maemo if nothing else.

AND why do we even have to tolerate MeeGo on a forum that is called Maemo.org ! there is a MeeGo forum all of its own and this is another reason so many arguments are happening on this forum !.
WHY mix MeeGo into a Maemo forum? clueless if you ask me.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-06-09 at 13:52.

There's only so far you can go when parts of the OS aren't open source...

I think it's smart to develop MeeGo, look to the future on a present device.

The Following User Says Thank You to tushyd For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tushyd View Post
There's only so far you can go when parts of the OS aren't open source...

I think it's smart to develop MeeGo, look to the future on a present device.
No i do not agree at all because hacking should be a ball now on the dated hardware of the N900.
It is more than possible to go ALL the way and more with Maemo and the N900 !.\

The biggest problem here is people just give up because too much is going on and they just say to hell with it and let it stay in the state it is in.
What should happen is not happening and why i say it is just plain crazy to mix MeeGo on a Maemo orientated forum, too many ifs and buts and arguments.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-06-09 at 13:59.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by epage View Post
Another advantage of Cordia is the ability to have the UI on other devices besides the n900. Yeah we could attempt to port Maemo but if people are already porting Meego for us, why not use that?

That does make me think how Wayland-ready Cordia will be for when MeeGo looks at reducing the usage of X.
I just creamed my pants. That'd be great. I have a small list of devices that I'd like Maemo on, particularly phones with more processing power than the N900.

Also, this thing would be very, very bleeding edge in terms of Linux on the Desktop. Wayland, mainline'd everything, and very little parts of the OS closed-source.

Anyone want to repackage MeeGo DE builds for the N900 to have Cordia in them instead? Would make it easier for testers in the long run.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
@abill you just don't seem to get it. Maemo will NEVER be as open as Meego, and therefore is not as flexible. The closed parts need to be rewritten or reverse engineered which is a HUGE amount of work. Putting hildon on top of Meego (Cordia) will give you the familiar Maemo 5 UX with a much more flexible platform underneath.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
@abill you just don't seem to get it. Maemo will NEVER be as open as Meego, and therefore is not as flexible. The closed parts need to be rewritten or reverse engineered which is a HUGE amount of work. Putting hildon on top of Meego (Cordia) will give you the familiar Maemo 5 UX with a much more flexible platform underneath.
With all due respect here if you look at the work done to get USB HOST going on Maemo and take a close look at the teamwork that went on to accomplish that, now apply the same kind of teamwork to the Maemo os itself and i bet you MeeGo will never even get close.

I like the idea of another os and MeeGo will probably be a fantastic platform for any NEWER device but it is just not going to go on this device and everyone now knows that but hey good luck i say with MeeGo BUT please take it on to the MEEGO forum not this one.

Allow Maemo progression on a Maemo forum no?.

Oh and i learned a long time ago in life to NEVER say NEVER because some smart dick will always prove us wrong !.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-06-09 at 14:11.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
hey, i love maemo as much as the next guy but i recognize a dead end when i see one

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
hey, i love maemo as much as the next guy but i recognize a dead end when i see one
OK we finally agree on something you and i !.... so maybe we can bury the hatchet here and work for the same master?.

WTF with the stoopid tag huh who the hell is trolling here ????.

Tags
buy cordia tab, cordia vs cssu, more opensource, y this thread?