Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
Nemo isn't theirs though, I thought it was another OS made by them (maybe based on nemo).

PS: I'm just wondering because Sailfish didn't give me the hype. I just hope the other OS will be like hildon.
Nemo itself is probably moving to use Zephyr: https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Zephyr
if that's what you meant by the "new OS".

I have been following the jolla thread now moved to off-topic and this one and I don't think this has been posted yet, apologies if I've overlooked something:

" Jolla Answers Your Sailfish Questions "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW0hnHJTFGM

They mention landscape mode. Found on reddit.com/r/jolla.

Their mention of their OS running on the Ericsson Snowball made me check up on that board, and I kinda want one now...

Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
I am sure I didn't mix it up with Nokia but I might be wrong. I just wanted to know and thoughts from TMO.
I remember them saying there'd be an "enthusiast" version as well. Can't find a source atm though...

Last edited by Fawz; 2012-11-23 at 19:17.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fawz For This Useful Post:
Thanks. Looks like - there is no swipe down to close (there is only close through long pressing) and no landscape mode in the home screen (at least yet).

Swipe down to close is a really good thing to have (it shouldn't be so hard to implement, and the idea is simple and very intuitive).

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Swipe down to close is a really good thing to have (it shouldn't be so hard to implement, and the idea is simple and very intuitive).
The last YouTube video shows that swipe application to home screen can be done in 4 directions. So, swipe down to close could not be used.

IMHO, the Sailfish OS doesn't enforce to close softwares, but to have up to 9 applications "open" in miniature mode (like super-widgets). Anyway, to close softwares like in Maemo 5 is easy enough.

Last but not the least : THERE IS native X Terminal !
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
The last YouTube video shows that swipe application to home screen can be done in 4 directions. So, swipe down to close could not be used.
I'd prefer this to be configurable, since using all 4 directions for the same action sounds too redundant, and limiting in what those directions could be used for. A smart thing to do would be some built in configuration framework for defining exact actions for such directions. It'd give the users a flexible choice to adjust the experience any way they like. Just my 2 cents.

Closing an application shouldn't be hard (i.e. consist out more than one action), even if the system encourages multitasking. Compare it to the desktop which is fully multitasked. Yet, closing an application is clicking a close button (one action). Mobile shouldn't be any harder, and swipe to close is an ingenious method for that.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-11-23 at 19:53.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
This thread is alive and seems the right one to post my concern:

Unless they have live-updated last few terminal lines as miniature for xterm with swipe right "up,enter" and swipe left ctrl-c, I don't like the lack of preview on the minimised apps. If they give a tool for every app config this could be cool (UI swipes should also be configurable, which gives 8 swipes for usage, half-swipes running opacity could be used for shortcuts etc). Hope their terminal's got full font and geometry control.

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
nope the ui is still under discussion internally whether to make it open source or not...

Sailfish OS may be open source but the product that ends up on Jolla phones will have closed bits...
I'd like to see something handled BETTER--not just the same things we've already seen from Android (who seems to be getting more and more OPEN-sourced and only getting better) and from Maemo and MeeGo (which went more and more CLOSED-source and only got worse). It's not making a convincing case for preferring Jolla.

It's all still in talks at this point and I'm not involved but, as a potential customer, I want to be convinced that this is a product I want or that I want to develop for or recommend to customers and friends. What I'm reading so far hasn't instilled confidence in me that this is the next hot thing I want to invest in or recommend.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
danramos,

You can join #jollamobile at freenode and give your views; they would be heard and put into their conscience better than putting it here...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Here's fine too, it helps to "get the juices flowing" for what goes into the docs, which will eventually be formally presented to them.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I'd like to see something handled BETTER--not just the same things we've already seen from Android (who seems to be getting more and more OPEN-sourced and only getting better).
I wouldn't be so sure about that, code has gradually become more liberalised*, but there's far more considerations than just that, I'm surprised you're not aware of them.
I won't go into them because that's dragging this thread off-topic, we're trying to keep this focused on it's original charter, so please don't go any further into it.
Unless you can make a compelling argument as-to-why Google's rigidity in the area(s) I'm not broaching, is a positive thing that Sailfish also needs to adopt/mimic.

and from Maemo and MeeGo (which went more and more CLOSED-source and only got worse). It's not making a convincing case for preferring Jolla.
meego never went more closed, the plan was always to transition from a more closed harmattan (maemo 6x) to a more open meego, they never got even close to that before everything was torpedoed.

It's all still in talks at this point and I'm not involved but, as a potential customer, I want to be convinced that this is a product I want or that I want to develop for or recommend to customers and friends. What I'm reading so far hasn't instilled confidence in me that this is the next hot thing I want to invest in or recommend.
Same here... But by the same token I'm not expecting it to be at that point yet...

*N.B. the last assessment done still had it a fair way behind the likes of real meego (not harmattan) from a code transparency POV.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-11-24 at 08:59.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
jolla, nokia-again?, not-so-open, totally closed, zipper is open