Notices

Hello.

I'm posting this new thread even though I've searched through http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=55079 .. Basically it doesn't make any sense to me and isn't intuitive at all. I don't even know what the posts are talking about. (Except for one poster who said to reinstall a plugin, that I can do.)

Let me explain something. I'm a newbie to the N900 and all I want to do is get ICQ working, that's it. My N900 is only 1 week old, so I haven't installed very many applications on it. You could almost say that it's a "Virgin" device, pretty close to factory standard.

I've reinstalled the "Pidgin protocols plugin for Conversations and Contacts" plugin. (Deinstalled, Rebooted and installed again.) to try and resolve the issue, but without any luck.

The symptom is that when I add the ICQ account, it immediately goes back to the list of accounts and says, "Not Signed In".

Since I'm a relatively new user, reading through the other posts doesn't make sense and I'm getting frustrated. Mainly because I'm not sure if the information being given is relevant or applicable. For example, someone saying, "Install Account Plugin 0.7" doesn't mean anything to me.

I need a step by step guide as to what I need to do to get it working, from a newbie point of view and from a virgin device point of view. I've already ran updates through the App Manager and it says I don't have any. I don't expect handholding here, just a list of steps that I can do to get it working.

I'm using Rogers in Canada. I am quite willing to provide any information required to get this working.

Thank you.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
This is nothing to do with your being a newbie. Since the last update of that Plug-In a number of people have been unable to get the ICQ protocol to work either, I suspect either a serve change or a bug in the new release.

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Adelaide, Australia
Sorry to sound so unhelpful, but people still use ICQ???

Originally Posted by tmarinos View Post
Sorry to sound so unhelpful, but people still use ICQ???
I've been using ICQ since 1994. It does what I need it to do. Earlier verisons of it were considerably less bloated and back then, it worked better than anything else out there.

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Adelaide, Australia
Originally Posted by Qualin View Post
I've been using ICQ since 1994. It does what I need it to do. Earlier verisons of it were considerably less bloated and back then, it worked better than anything else out there.
I used to use ICQ back in the 90's too. Loved it! But all my friends eventually moved over to MSN and so did I...

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Düsseldorf
Update your "extra protocol plugins for conversations and contacts" to version 0.10 and check if the port in the advance settings are correct. The port must be 5190.
Disable the "Use SSL" and Use Clientlogin" boxes.

Last edited by DonPIZI; 2010-06-28 at 08:03.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Qualin View Post
Hello.

I'm posting this new thread even though I've searched through http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=55079 .. Basically it doesn't make any sense to me and isn't intuitive at all. I don't even know what the posts are talking about. (Except for one poster who said to reinstall a plugin, that I can do.)

Let me explain something. I'm a newbie to the N900 and all I want to do is get ICQ working, that's it. My N900 is only 1 week old, so I haven't installed very many applications on it. You could almost say that it's a "Virgin" device, pretty close to factory standard.

I've reinstalled the "Pidgin protocols plugin for Conversations and Contacts" plugin. (Deinstalled, Rebooted and installed again.) to try and resolve the issue, but without any luck.

The symptom is that when I add the ICQ account, it immediately goes back to the list of accounts and says, "Not Signed In".

Since I'm a relatively new user, reading through the other posts doesn't make sense and I'm getting frustrated. Mainly because I'm not sure if the information being given is relevant or applicable. For example, someone saying, "Install Account Plugin 0.7" doesn't mean anything to me.

I need a step by step guide as to what I need to do to get it working, from a newbie point of view and from a virgin device point of view. I've already ran updates through the App Manager and it says I don't have any. I don't expect handholding here, just a list of steps that I can do to get it working.

I'm using Rogers in Canada. I am quite willing to provide any information required to get this working.

Thank you.
1. set status of all messangers to off
2. go to the icq advanced account settings on your n900
3. disable the enable ssl option
4. save
5. maybe do a reboot
6. set status of all messangers to online
7. enjoy icq

Originally Posted by DonPIZI View Post
Update your "extra protocol plugins for conversations and contacts" to version 0.10 and check if the port in the advance settings are correct. The port must be 5190.
OK. How do I update the "Extra Protocol plugins for Conversations and Contacts" to version 0.10?

When I go into the application manager and click "Update", it says there are no updates to download.

As well, I did check the ICQ settings. Port is 5190 and the "Use SSL" and "Use Clientlogin" boxes are unchecked, as well as the "Always Use Rv Proxy" box.

Server is "login.messaging.aol.com" and port is 5190.

My account name is my ICQ number. (Should it be something else?)

Thank you.

Originally Posted by crazler View Post
1. set status of all messangers to off
2. go to the icq advanced account settings on your n900
3. disable the enable ssl option
4. save
5. maybe do a reboot
6. set status of all messangers to online
7. enjoy icq
Sorry, this did not resolve the issue. Thank you anyway.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by DonPIZI View Post
Thumbs up for this post, this is what fixed it for me a month or so back too. I'd lay good odds this is your problem.