Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Since i already outed my noobishness in this thread, i'll keep my additional numptey moments here for public spectacle.

I've got the final maemo 5 dev kit installed and "working". I say "working" because it seems like many bits don't. Without having any tablet in my possession for reference, i don't know how it's supposed to work, but here are some behaviours i'm getting that are clearly wrong:
-the media player fails to play media files, claims "Media format not supported" or something for perfectly good MP3s
-as soon as i click on the "Update" in the App Manager, nothing will show up on any of the three sections of it (Uninstall, Download, Update) until i have closed it and re-opened it
-Clicking on any of the apps listed in Download doesn't do anything but (sometimes) change the color of the icon. I can get info with a long-press, but nothing seems to actually install the apps.

I don't know how to access a shell; i was going to find an app to do it, but that's obviously not helpful if they won't install.

I got onto IRC and one other person confirmed that App Manager does nothing on his system, either. I don't know if this is a common or widespread issue, but it's obviously not going to be easy to test software if it isn't working as it ought to begin with.

Anybody else have these issues?

-the media player fails to play media files, claims "Media format not supported" or something for perfectly good MP3s
I haven't tried the media player. So I don't know

-as soon as i click on the "Update" in the App Manager, nothing will show up on any of the three sections of it (Uninstall, Download, Update) until i have closed it and re-opened it
I get similar behavior, but all I have to click in a dark area and the update screen goes away. I don't have to re-launch App manager.

-Clicking on any of the apps listed in Download doesn't do anything but (sometimes) change the color of the icon. I can get info with a long-press, but nothing seems to actually install the apps.
I noticed the same behavior; I suspect the code in their must be trying to detect a finger click (i.e. a larger radius) and so it isn't registering as a download click. I used the "details" to get the package name then just used "apt-get install" at the command line.

I don't know how to access a shell; i was going to find an app to do it, but that's obviously not helpful if they won't install.
The "scratchbox" is the device shell. Where you type af-sb-init.sh start to start the maemo interface, just type "apt-get install eightyone" (or whatever package(s) you want). It will show up in the emulator right away without having to restart it. ;-D

Anybody else have these issues?
Yes.

Nathan.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Originally Posted by lma View Post
There's the problem, that should be a real '-' character. Fixed.
Hot damn! Good eyes!

Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Originally Posted by Jason404 View Post
I used to use VMware Server, but now I use VMware ESXi, which is much better. I run it on a HP ProLiant ML115 G5 quad-core Opteron server, which was ridiculously cheap, and even came with a free remote management card. It has a USB port on the motherboard, which is used to run ESXi from a flash drive. Very cool.
Actually, I do use both. VMWare Server for development, and VMWare ESXi for deployment (if needed). They are both excellent products