Posts: 88 | Thanked: 411 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ southern Italy
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Only some OS'es have the bloody abomination that is systemd
Sorry to redpill you, but SailfishOS has always been built on systemd and some non-trivial benefits (like a faster boot time when compared to Android) depend on it.

Jolla developers wisely chose Wayland protocol instead of the 30-year-old X11, systemd init manager over initscripts, Qt over Gtk/Gnome, because they were building a modern Linux phone, not a desktop PC, even less a server, even less a *BSD machine. And that happened even if Wayland and systemd were not yet considered - back in 2012/2013 - well-tested and feature-complete.

The systemd hate, FUD and criticism come from luddites' worst nightmares, from ancient bug-reports (especially from misconfigured/mispatched systems), and from the wrong assumption that previous methods (like the boot script files approach) give the same level of performance, safety, manageability, speed. Basically the same kind of argument when back in 1992 Linux kernel was criticized for being monolithic by the author of Minix.

Booting a system is a non-trivial task (dependencies, ordering, parallelization, logging...) and not only systemd takes care of everything in a fast, safe and sound way, it also keeps compatibility with oldschool SysV/LSB scripts and adds in quite a number of security features based on Linux kernel features (for example capabilities restrictions) without the need to patch libraries and services. The latest systemd release adds in IP traffic accounting and dynamic users, two features found in Android, also in the Android layer on your old Jolla1) that Jolla guys may apply to native apps without modifying them.

Disclaimer: I use systemd in my job. Since 2014 it saved me countless hours debugging coworkers issues (did he use a wrong userid? early start? forgot to release permissions? wrong pidfile directory? accidentally wiped /tmp? logged to a different stream? started before the network was ready?...) A number of bizarre and hard-to-catch bugs disappeared overnight as soon as I switched to systemd; we now use systemd in production on all of our servers). I bet Jolla guys just felt the same way.

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to alfmar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by alfmar View Post
Sorry to redpill you, but SailfishOS has always been built on systemd and some non-trivial benefits (like a faster boot time when compared to Android) depend on it.

Jolla developers wisely chose Wayland protocol instead of the 30-year-old X11, systemd init manager over initscripts, Qt over Gtk/Gnome, because they were building a modern Linux phone, not a desktop PC, even less a server, even less a *BSD machine. And that happened even if Wayland and systemd were not yet considered - back in 2012/2013 - well-tested and feature-complete.

The systemd hate, FUD and criticism come from luddites' worst nightmares, from ancient bug-reports (especially from misconfigured/mispatched systems), and from the wrong assumption that previous methods (like the boot script files approach) give the same level of performance, safety, manageability, speed. Basically the same kind of argument when back in 1992 Linux kernel was criticized for being monolithic by the author of Minix.

Booting a system is a non-trivial task (dependencies, ordering, parallelization, logging...) and not only systemd takes care of everything in a fast, safe and sound way, it also keeps compatibility with oldschool SysV/LSB scripts and adds in quite a number of security features based on Linux kernel features (for example capabilities restrictions) without the need to patch libraries and services. The latest systemd release adds in IP traffic accounting and dynamic users, two features found in Android, also in the Android layer on your old Jolla1) that Jolla guys may apply to native apps without modifying them.

Disclaimer: I use systemd in my job. Since 2014 it saved me countless hours debugging coworkers issues (did he use a wrong userid? early start? forgot to release permissions? wrong pidfile directory? accidentally wiped /tmp? logged to a different stream? started before the network was ready?...) A number of bizarre and hard-to-catch bugs disappeared overnight as soon as I switched to systemd; we now use systemd in production on all of our servers). I bet Jolla guys just felt the same way.
I wholeheartedly agree. systemd (like wayland and Qt) is a forward-thinking project. The naysayers remind me of the early detractors of btrfs, dead set on bugs or broken implementation that were fixed many revisions ago.

People don't like change, even though change is necessary for forward momentum. Personally, I'm grateful Jolla didn't go with antiquated technologies to bring us a Linux phone.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sunny Woollahra
Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
Just to make a check list :
  • The Jolla phone is updated to the latest 34.3.A.0.228 or .238 firmware (Important to do first because after unlocking the boot loader, OTA won't work as easily)
  • Developer menu is activated
  • USB debugging is on
  • 3rd party application are authorizsed
  • OEM unlocking is authorized
  • You have registered your IMEI on Sony's website
  • You've obtained a long hexadecimal code in return from Sony
  • Your phone was first shutdown
  • Afterwards (wait 10 seconds at least), your phone was turned on in Fastboot mode (hold "volume up" while plugging the USB cable)
  • the Xperia is in Fastboot mode (no message on the screen, the LED is blue instead of green

At that moment you should run the fastboot command in your command shell (in cmd.exe) :
fastboot.exe oem unlock 0x<hexadecimal code>

Note that depending on how windows works, this might require admin rights (I have no idea, I use Linux. Maybe you'll get a UAC security prompt ? Or you need to "Run as..." cmd.exe to start the shell in admin mode ?)
I've done all of these things. I'll try using a different computer. Thanks for taking the time to give me a detailed response.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rfa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by clovis86 View Post
Sorry, too easy xD
But anyway, all they gotta do is to rtfm, nop ?
( especially with windows procedure )
To be fair, even highly skilled users had difficulties getting Windows 10 to play nicely.
I'd wager he's got some UAC notice lingering in the background, but I'm not in a position to help, as I've not done the process myself.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by alfmar View Post
I even enjoyed BTRFS, actually. (And I am used to it enough to not having much problems with it.)

Saddly, after being burned by ENOSP problems partially due to no optimally out-of-the-box configured btrfs partition and by badly designed recovery script (please, people, stop trying to use fsck-type programs on CoW and Log-structured FS like BTRFS, ZFS, UDF, F2FS, etc.), it seems that Jolla has decided to stop using it on device since Jolla C.

Too bad...

The Following User Says Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 88 | Thanked: 411 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ southern Italy
It would be very nice to use the camera button to start the camera app anytime, like in the old prehistoric Android days.

Please upvote the relevant feature request on TJC.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to alfmar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sunny Woollahra
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
To be fair, even highly skilled users had difficulties getting Windows 10 to play nicely.
I'd wager he's got some UAC notice lingering in the background, but I'm not in a position to help, as I've not done the process myself.
I think the issues I'm having are both a) getting windows (8.1) to play nicely with the fastboot drivers and b) the instructions for unlocking the bootloader (on the sony video) not matching the download links provided.

On my home PC I've got fastboot working on command line. It sees my phone

That's all it does

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rfa For This Useful Post:
Hi,

Is XPERIA XZ support sfos x official image?

The Following User Says Thank You to n950 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 10 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Oct 2017 @ country of yorkshire
I just want to say thank you to all those who helped me , DrYak Aspergerguy, Fellfrosch and the rest of you, It sure wasn't easy for a beginner, unlocking the bootloader seemed unnecessarily, even stupidly hard, but I got there .A real community, even clovis86 who's comment inspired me to work harder. Thank you all

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to rogger888 For This Useful Post:
Wifi channels 12, 13, (and 14) don't seem to be picked up by the Xperia X. It is assumed that in Android it doesn't either.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oenone For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x