Notices

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Manchester
OK, try this on the tablet:

Go into red pill mode in app manager:
Application Manager->Tools->Application Catalogue->New
Type 'matrix' (no quotes into the web address field then hit cancel, then choose red pill
Then browse installable applications - you should see libreadline5 there.

You might also want to install rootsh and openssh if you haven't already.

In scratchbox log in to the arm target and do
nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Add these two lines
deb http://repository.maemo.org/extras/ diablo free non free
deb http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/ diablo free non free

and save the file. Back at the ARMEL prompt do 'apt-get update' to refresh the repo list.

Then do:
apt-get install libreadline5 libreadline5-dev

Hopefully should work. Then assuming you have the source extracted inside your scratchbox home directory you should be able to cd to ~/squeezeplay/src and run make from there, then see what happens.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pat For This Useful Post:
I too have decided to build Squeezeplay for my Nokia N800. I've downloaded the server VM and built and executed the helloworld application (after a bit of a struggle) and am now trying to build Squeezeplay.

Thanks for the tips above- they have got me to a position whereby I've successfully downloaded all of the dependencies except for xorg-dev. Attempting to do that results in the following:

[sbox-DIABLO_ARMEL: ~/squeezeplay/src] > apt-get install xorg-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
xorg-dev: Depends: libdmx-dev but it is not installable
Depends: libfs-dev but it is not installable
Depends: libxevie-dev but it is not installable
Depends: libxinerama-dev but it is not installable
Depends: libxkbui-dev but it is not installable
Depends: libxss-dev but it is not installable
Depends: libxtrap-dev but it is not installable
Depends: libxvmc-dev but it is not installable
Depends: libxxf86dga-dev but it is not installable
Depends: libxxf86misc-dev but it is not installable
Depends: libxxf86vm-dev but it is not installable
Depends: x11proto-dmx-dev but it is not installable
Depends: x11proto-evie-dev but it is not installable
Depends: x11proto-xf86dga-dev but it is not installable
Depends: x11proto-xf86dri-dev but it is not installable
Depends: x11proto-xf86misc-dev but it is not installable
Depends: xserver-xorg-dev but it is not installable
E: Broken packages

So... does anyone know how I can install xorg-dev?

That'll teach me not to bother with instructions again... turns out that xorg-dev wasn't needed for the Armel build, despite README.linux in the Squeezeplay source indicating that it was.

After reading another post about this subject here, I finally managed to build this and run it up on my N800. It has been a frustrating week, as I'd never built software on Linux before this, let alone cross-compiled with Scratchbox, but the end result is very nice.

No sound, the skins are all the wrong size, the window completely disappears when minimised, and needs launching from a shell script rather than an icon. Nevertheless I was impressed that most other functionality seems to work, including the near-instantaneous response (much better than the web interface from the N800's slow browser) and animations.

Let's hope that Logitech sort out the license so that this can be built and distributed as a decent binary- in its current clunky state, Squeezeplay is great so this could be awesome.

Posts: 332 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
I missed this thread. I am a big squeezeboxer and was only today thinking about using softsqueeze on my N800. Unfortunately, softsqueeze in Java.

I guess I have to follow the others and try compiling this myself.
  • two magic OTG USB adapters
  • crossed fingers

Hello,

Have been searching days for a way to improve performance of N8xx to use as a decent controler for SBS.. Problem is I'm an absolute noob to all linux and on just got a n800 and n810 from fleabay.. Wondering for all the noobs out there who want to dealv into this head first if you have any step by step instructions we can follow..

I.E Tools & libs needed. on which type of sys and then process to get to compile..

My Sys is XP but also running Ubuntu under VM

Both n8xx are running latest firmware/ Os 2008 Meamo 5.

I've tried looking at few posts and decifering but as I'm clueless I cant quite figure it out..

Hope somebody can help..

Thanks

/////////////

Have installed ESBOX and Dl Scratchbox Maemo SDK install.sh and the wizard.. but unsure what to do with what and where

Last edited by champagne_charly; 2009-12-19 at 18:30.

Are there any real thorough walk throughs written up on getting this compiled to run on the n810... if so could someone provide a link to it?

Originally Posted by toxic_d View Post
Are there any real thorough walk throughs written up on getting this compiled to run on the n810... if so could someone provide a link to it?
Through default of not receiving a responce from the GURUS to my post I will -given a few more days - post a detailed description of how to achieve this. I Hope

Shame Logitech are so short sighted in thier Terms.. Potentially given the right philosohy they could have a maket leader!!. Otherwise for thoese that like things slightly simpler (the majority)Sonos wins!!.

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ SC, USA
Have you contacted any of the folks on the squeezebox team? They are pretty nice and the guy that originally came up with the N700 skin works with them now, Ben Klass . He might be up for posting the binary on their site just not offering support or some other EULA.

Good job either way.

EDIT: I just shot him an email to see what he would say.

Last edited by froghunter; 2010-01-09 at 20:49.

I have a N810 and was wondering if there is a easy to install app that will let me control my Squeezebox2 from it? It looks like the Squeezeplay is more geared towards playing the music on the Nokia tablets like Squeezesoft on my Mac does?

I just want to be able to control it and see the cover art on my N810. I currently use an free AMX app but it lost some of it functionality when the new version 7.4 of the server side came out and I just do not have the time to try and figure out the AMX code.

Originally Posted by champagne_charly View Post
Through default of not receiving a responce from the GURUS to my post I will -given a few more days - post a detailed description of how to achieve this. I Hope

That would be a great help to those of us who aren't used to doing this sort of thing (especially cross-compiling from Windows-based machines), and much appreciated.

froghunter and I had two previous threads on this theme:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=28194
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=29278
froghunter played around a fair bit, but neither of us got this far.

Also, as froghunter suggested, it would be worth contacting the Squeezebox team to see whether they would be willing to make the binaries available (unsupported). Especially if there is no sound playback incorporated in the Maemo version, this can only be a good thing for them. Like many people, I bought my n800 specifically to control my hi-fi and am only looking for another form of controlling my Squeezebox. (Personally, I prefer the display and IR control of the Squeezebox2 for the living room, but like using Moose and SqueezePlay (on my Windows PC) occasionally to browse and show cover art - it would be nice not to have to remote-desktop from my n800 into my PC to do this and to have a standalone SqueezePlay on the n800).

Anyway, if this could be made more broadly available to those of us without much cross-compiling experience, either by Logitech hosting the binaries or by someone posting easy-to-follow compiling instructions, that would be really great.

Last edited by Strawman; 2010-01-10 at 04:32. Reason: corrected typos