Alright. Lets hear peoples experiences with the new updated map application (2.2.8.604). I know the built in map application isn't the greatest out there in terms of functionality, ease of use, price for licenses, actual updated maps, etc. But I still like it. For it makes my N810 closer to an all-in-one device keeping me from lugging so many different gadgets around all with separate power supplies...

So for me, the biggest, most annoying bug in previous versions was not being able to calculate a route when not being close enough to an actual road on the map.

But for version 2.2.8.604 it works! It just breathed a bit more use/life into my N810 as now the sat nav with route calculation actually works if you're not close enough to a road - awesome.

There's still a lot that can/could be done to the actual map app to make it much more functional, but at least it's good to know that they are still working on it... and it's actually getting better.

So anybody else notice any changes?

jbk

I noticed that plan a route option is now available from the menus. In some previous versions you had to disable GPS to be able to set the starting point.

Regarding the pricing I like the fact that I can buy a 1 month license for ~10e to an area I will most likely never need again.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
I can't seem to find this route option. Where is it and how it works?

Once I was able to make it compute a route (out of Trial mode). It was simply not speaking.
I can't seem to do it anymore.

Originally Posted by anidel View Post
I can't seem to find this route option. Where is it and how it works?

Once I was able to make it compute a route (out of Trial mode). It was simply not speaking.
I can't seem to do it anymore.
You need an activated version of Wayfinder, either via a 7 day trial or with a license. With the new version of map, once your NIT has a GPS lock you can simply long tap anywhere on the map and a pop-up box appears, then you select "navigate to" and it calculates a route and starts giving you voice guidance. You can also calculate routes via address, cities, POI's, etc.

With voice guidance, you must have at least one voice installed in the navicore folder where all your maps are stored. So in a N810 with Saras voice it'd be:

Code:
/media/mmc2/map/navicore/sounds/sound_eng/Sara (US)
I cut up MR T's voice and put it on my N810... it's awesome when my N810 yells at me to "TURN RIGHT FOOL!"

jbk

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jbk For This Useful Post:
I found the prior version would sometimes go into1 "always have north at the top mode" which I dislike while navigating. Tapping the compass or the view menu orientation option wouldn't fix it unless I
- menu tap select the turn map north
- press the full screen toggle button twice to force a repaint
- menu tap deselect the turn map north
- again press the full screen toggle button twice to force a repaint
and often, but not always, it would be oriented correctly. I do NOT recommend you do that procedure while driving -- even those of you who use it while biking. ;-)

I'll see if that behavior has been fixed.

Frank

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
im going to buy one of the knight rider gps units that uses william daniels actual voice and attempt to extract the voice files and put them on the N810.

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Los Angeles

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
I've downloaded and extracted that voice, and it's pretty rubbish to tell the truth. doesn't sound much like KITT at all.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2008 @ cambridge, UK
As this thread has brought a bunch of map users out into the light, can I ask for some feedback on your experiences on another issue - raised on thread ''Wayfinder won't fetch updates over Bluetooth phone connection ? (Fine with WiFi)':
Does anyone have working / brocken Map traffic updates over Bluetooth DUN to a mobile phone network (3G or GPRS)?
Thnx
Al

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Derby, UK
Originally Posted by alcam View Post
As this thread has brought a bunch of map users out into the light, can I ask for some feedback on your experiences on another issue - raised on thread ''Wayfinder won't fetch updates over Bluetooth phone connection ? (Fine with WiFi)':

Thnx
Al
I'm using T-Mobile W'n'W plus in UK and the traffic updates don't work over 3G on latest version of MAP only via Wifi (so no change there). I have to say that the traffic data I have seen have been completely unreliable - I have never found a benefit from altering my route because of them - they always seem out of date or inaccurate. - so the fact I can't get live updates of them on the road hasn't really been much of a loss.

The Following User Says Thank You to HowieG For This Useful Post:

Tags
map 2.2.8.604 wayfinder