Posts: 180 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Maine
Originally Posted by altorn View Post
that's why i didnt bother with my warranty when my USB port broke of..
time for shipping, repairs, talking to customer service agents..
Why not? My charger port pulled out and I followed the on-line support instructions to send it in and they replaced the device, no questions asked. I have no complaints (other than it will take me weeks to get the phone back to some semblance of the state it was in after all my tweaks).

I never even considered calling.

Cheers,
Fred

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by fms View Post
So, how come that no matter when I call a customer service line, I get a drone that would have trouble passing Turing test? Do they have some kind of a script-playing server where they plug all their service reps, drugged into submission? Or is it a very special kind of people they hire?
Here's some advice, taken from personal experience. YMMV.

Treat them like people. Ask them their name, feel free to chat with them a tiny bit, anything to lessen the monotony of their day. You'll find you often get a much more engaged and helpful response as a result, because surprisingly, bored people don't tend to function well.

Obviously, this won't work all the time (people are different and there are always idiots), but I've had pretty good success with it over numerous fields (banks, tech support, sales, ...) and it usually makes *me* a lot more happier to try make an effort to connect with another human being rather than interfacing with a 'faceless drone'.

(Having been on the other side of the phone some years ago, I can also say that things like this are appreciated. A lot.)

Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
BS. I must defend olighak here against such serious and completely baseless accusations.

Full of racism? Get real. He made a simple statement of fact which supported the rest of his story about the lack of communication.

You are stereotyping all Indians as poor? That's racist!

Jail for identifying someone's accent? I'm glad I live in a free country...
I was 8 years old when our teacher teached me that freedom is not to be allowed to do what I want, but freedom ends where the freedom of other people starts.
Which is according to you a free country? My country, in which racism and discrimination is punished, according to you is not free. I guess that according to you nazist Germany was free, because they were free to make suffer the jews, the minorities and also people with medical handicaps.
It's a big shame that I was attacked because I defended an indian warker. Maybe your country is really free, a country built on the blood of the indians, the TRUE americans exterminated in the name of freedom, and on the blood of the black people, slaves for hundreds years.
Sorry I don't agree with this topic. I will never complain because an indian instead of a WASP answers from a call center!

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
i think he has been waiting for a few years to find a reason to write that piece

Originally Posted by pctek View Post
Yup this what alot of company's do now they out source their customer service to other country's it keeps thier overhead and bills low.

They now setup shop AKA Call centers, like in the philipines, inida, mexico who knows where else. Here In california and utah salt lake city area UPS recently closed down 2 big call center locations with like 300 hundred emplyees working cause they are going to out source, so when you call UPS to track a package soon you'll be getting non USA people.
they should be more like TMO!!!! i swear it is such a enjoyable pleasure every time i contact tmo customer support. i always get a happy upbeat English speaking person on the other end. usually a female who speaks perfect freaking english. they are never nasty or rude and the customer is always right. they will try there darnest to fix what ever your issue is in spite of being relatively ignorant of the phones they offer. they are however very knowledgeable of there own plans.

when i call nokia? OMG it is a freaking head ache. it is actually physically painfull to have to pick up the phone and wait all day to talk to some one who simply does not understand what you are trying to say. all to tell you they have to escalate the matter to another tier tech support despite you telling them to do that after briefly explaining the problem to them the first 4 of 12 times. i hate having to call nokia support. a lot. a whole lot. and then even more then that

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
i dont really buy the working for peanuts and overworked routine either.. professionalism is professionalism if you are no good at your job and dont enjoy it you need to get out of it. i also agree with the above poster but coudnt be bothered to write something.

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-06-29 at 15:12.

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Patroclo View Post
It's a big shame that I come to read posts so full of racism against poor indians and people working hard to earn some money! In my country saying something like what I read above would result in jail! I cannot understand why moderators are not banning racists from the forum and informing FBI.
Oh jesus, this isn't about race, it's about whether someone is suitable to do a particular job or not, and based on the fact that this particular guy had a thick Indian accent, which the OP found hard to understand, and the fact that he had trouble understanding what the OP's problem was I'd say he wasn't suitable for the job.

If the call operator had been from England, but with a really unintelligible accent, and hard of hearing so it was difficult to explain the problem then it would be exactly the same scenario..

Had he said ' Oh yeah, there was no problems in communicating at all, but he was Indian, what the hell Nokia?'

then fair enough..

Originally Posted by w00t View Post
Here's some advice, taken from personal experience. YMMV.

Treat them like people. Ask them their name, feel free to chat with them a tiny bit, anything to lessen the monotony of their day. You'll find you often get a much more engaged and helpful response as a result, because surprisingly, bored people don't tend to function well.

Obviously, this won't work all the time (people are different and there are always idiots), but I've had pretty good success with it over numerous fields (banks, tech support, sales, ...) and it usually makes *me* a lot more happier to try make an effort to connect with another human being rather than interfacing with a 'faceless drone'.

(Having been on the other side of the phone some years ago, I can also say that things like this are appreciated. A lot.)
maybe they can pay the service reps more money and give them better benefits so that way they can demand a more professional staff. its not really fair that if i have a tech or some other kinda customer service issue "I" being the one with the problem (and may also be slightly frustrated) have to provide "customer service" via of breaking up the monotony of of their day to the "customer service representative" that is just ludicrous. i think if you have a job you need to do it to the best of your ability and have self pride. if your job sucks you should quit. if you cant handle these daily issues then customer service may not be the place for you.

on another note. if i speak english i would also liek to speak to some one else who speaks english so we can accurately exchange ideas. repeating things 4 times and trying to guess what the other person really means is just gonna make a already frustrated customer irate

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Does anybody know how to expedite this poster's problems though?
idk, i kinda think this poster already knows the answer to this. No DICE. all they can do is send the phone off and wait or try and get a new back piece on ebay or something. or drive all the way to the support center themselves. i think this post was more of a vent post. of course it would be nice to post here and find a new secret inside answer to get things done faster at nokia but it comes across to me as more of a vent type of thing

Originally Posted by Tedri Mark View Post
Oh jesus, this isn't about race, it's about whether someone is suitable to do a particular job or not, and based on the fact that this particular guy had a thick Indian accent, which the OP found hard to understand, and the fact that he had trouble understanding what the OP's problem was I'd say he wasn't suitable for the job.

If the call operator had been from England, but with a really unintelligible accent, and hard of hearing so it was difficult to explain the problem then it would be exactly the same scenario..

Had he said ' Oh yeah, there was no problems in communicating at all, but he was Indian, what the hell Nokia?'

then fair enough..
He is talking complete nonsense, as you say the issues is not he was indian the issue was that he couldnt understand his accent.

he could have wrote "i couldnt understand his thick <insert any nationality in the world>"

This became such an issue in England that it is now used as a selling point by retailers. Adverts such as “call centres in the UK” are common. Is this racist? No, the marketing department know that there is nothing more annoying than calling up a call centre and speaking to someone you can barely understand.