Active Topics

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
I just read that Nokia will not be officially at the MWC next month in Spain, but will have some kind of 'presence' near it. WTF?! Isn't it a little ODD that this event is called the MOBILE WORLD CONFERENCE, and Nokia aren't going to be the flipping CENTER of it all?! Wow, times must be a-changing. The source also said the N9 would be released there. I am certainly NOT holding my breath for that to happen!

The Theory and Practice of Myopic Marketing Management:
(I posted this previously in the the wrong thread, ahead of this news)

The total returns to cutting marketing and R&D spending at the time of
improved profitability are significantly negative across all three benchmarks. In four years
potentially myopic firms, on average, under-perform their size and book-to-market matched
benchmarks by -13.3% (median= -13.8%) when the benchmarks are selected without additional
restrictions on their earnings condition in the initial period. On average, myopic firms under-
perform their performance-equivalent bench-marks (i.e., firms with positive earnings surprise in
the initial period) by -17.7% (median=-17.2%) and their matching benchmarks with a negative
earnings surprise by -14.4% (median=-13.7%). 9

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Last edited by theonelaw; 2011-01-21 at 18:05. Reason: Quotes

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Nokia Norge AS
Hall: 1.0, Stand 1E44

(from MWC web site)

Originally Posted by AndyNokia232 View Post
I just read that Nokia will not be officially at the MWC next month in Spain, but will have some kind of 'presence' near it. WTF?! Isn't it a little ODD that this event is called the MOBILE WORLD CONFERENCE, and Nokia aren't going to be the flipping CENTER of it all?! Wow, times must be a-changing. The source also said the N9 would be released there. I am certainly NOT holding my breath for that to happen!
No they don't have booths in MWC to show the devices. Last year they had their whole own building next to the MWC rented for them for their own event and they where not in MWC at all(other than NSN).
Though they advertised that 2010 Barcelona event 7 months before MWC so i doubt that it will happen this time as there's lots of logistic involved and not enough time to pull it off if they would do anything similar this year.

I doubt also that we will see anything in MWC.
It's sometimes funny how late these blogs and what not find these infos. Nokia's situation in MWC has been available for all in MWCs own page for months. Me and many others have mentioned this month ago already.

About the times changing, never has Apple been in MWC either. For Nokia the main event will no doubt be Nokia World this year too(from the events we already know in advance).

Last edited by tissot; 2011-01-21 at 18:17.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tzsm98 View Post
Nokia Norge AS

(from MWC web site)
I guess trolls are there.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Less emo please.

Nokia wasn't there last year either. Actually Nokia has more presence than last year, since Elop will give keynote presentation. Nokia is likely to have rented showroom from nearby.

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Chicago
A lot of companies are moving away from SUPER EXPENSIVE booths to brand experiences they can control nearby. Nokia was one of the first to do that. In fact their first (that I can remember) was the '08 MWC. I was surprised, too, but this way they can have more freedom to do as they please. Tradeshows are really restrictive.

The Following User Says Thank You to dharder For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tzsm98 View Post
Nokia Norge AS

(from MWC web site)
Just the QT team at what appears to a small cubbyhole ordinarily
reserved for for storing janitorial supplies:
Qt is a cross-platform application and UI framework designed to make developers' lives easier. With Qt you can efficiently develop advanced, web-enabled applications and user interfaces that run across desktop, mobile and embedded operating systems, without rewriting the source code.

Nokia are really not there - this undoubtably means no n9 or anything else,
which surprises me not.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
As some people have said here before no it will not be any N9 release at MWC! Why should that happen?

Take a look at the MWC homepage and you will see it more a long strategic conference where all mobile operators/manufactors will go in the future and mobile network standards etc...

This is not a conference where mopbile manufactors will release phones/handsets... its not a CET or something like that...

Elop will probadly say something about Meego strategy at the 11 february on the "Strategy and Financial Briefing" but I do not expect any planed phones even then...

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-01-21 at 18:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
As some people have said here before no it will not be any N9 release at MWC! Why should that happen?

Take a look at the MWC homepage and you will see it more a long strategic conference where all mobile operators/manufactors will go in the future and mobile network standards etc...

This is not a conference where mopbile manufactors will releasde phones... or a campaignfest.
Aye
There will be devices for people to test for the first time, but example SE and Samsung are going to actually announce the devices day before MWC.

And the keynotes got topic ready made and 3-4 people speaking about the same topic so don't see any announcements there(+ like Nokia and many other their keynotes are in the second or third day of MWC, not the time to be announcing devices). Other than maybe Microsoft and Google who are the only ones who got their totally own keynote sessions.

Last edited by tissot; 2011-01-21 at 18:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post: