Active Topics

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Good contribution, torx, and you reminded me of something.

Penguinbait, I said I wouldn't post to you but I think you'd like this: I went through my assortment of old 770 and N800 parts and found an entire back housing with stand, never used. You can have it for free + shipping/handling, if you're interested.
You wouldn't happen to have a spare 770 battery cover in your assortment would you Texrat?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by MST View Post
You wouldn't happen to have a spare 770 battery cover in your assortment would you Texrat?
I'll check when I get back from Finland next weekend.

I'll check when I get back from Finland next weekend.

Thanks, I'd really appreciate it if you could

Penguin, sincerely and seriously: you are very welcome to this spare housing to solve your problem. True, it lets Nokia off the hook, but isn't the goal an integral device?

And you can continue hating me after I send it.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Penguin, sincerely and seriously: you are very welcome to this spare housing to solve your problem. True, it lets Nokia off the hook, but isn't the goal an integral device?

And you can continue hating me after I send it.
Well Nokia today has told me to basically eat it, they will not replace my back cover and still do not have a stand for me. And do not anticipate being able to help me anytime soon. Hmmm, Hmmmmmmm My only option is sending it in to them, and wait for?, well I have never recieved a fixed device back from Nokia, I always give up after 5 or 6 weeks and take the cash buyout, I don't know how long you would have to wait?

So if you have the back cover and stand I will happily buy them from you.

Texrat, lets be clear, I do not hate you. I do however become very annoyed when people (not just me), want to complain about very real issues, (even if it is to just blow off steam), and other people (not just you) try to make it sound like they are being unreasonable or attacking people or explain why Nokia is doing what they are doing.

Sometimes, it seems people just want other people to know they work for Nokia, it somehow makes them feel cooler or something.

I do not care what reason Nokia has for screwing me, I just want results.

Penguin, I don't really see that I do what you accused me of. Maybe we just have such different temperaments that words get crossed unintentionally. Maybe my tendency to try to calm a situation when you (or anyone actually) is riled doesn't go over well with you. Or whatever... but even though I don't think I'm technically wrong by injecting objectivity after a rant, I'll reconsider my approach anyway. I'm not immune to processing feedback.

And I won't charge for the housing, just shipping and packaging. I'll figure it out when I get back home from Helsinki.

Oh, and I know my wry sense of humor often fails on the internet. Hell, it bombs in person too. Sucks.

EDIT: I don't have a back cover to send, just the back housing with stand attached. I can remove the stand and send just that if that's all you need.

Last edited by Texrat; 2007-08-10 at 19:21.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Rochester NY
Here is yet another example of how poorly Nokia customer service regards their customers. I engaged them asking if they sold a replacement stylus for the $400 N810 I bought. They said they do not sell them and suggested I try ebay. Then I pointed out that I saw a few sites in the Netherlands and one in Germany that sell a genuine Nokia n810 replacement stylus, but they don't ship to the US. Nokia customer service continued to say the same thing --they don't sell them. Then I asked for the name of just one company that can purchase parts from Nokia, because again pointing out that they do in fact sell them. Their next claim was that they can't do that because they don't maintain information on resellers inventories. Huh? That's not what I asked. Reasking the question, they then said there were "too many variables in the the request I was making" to them and to call their customer service number. What? Variables? Then they seemed to go back to their original claim that they simply do not sell this part at all --anywhere.

What a load of crap, because they DO. If you look on this site (www.tessco.com), they seem to sell every tiny little component that makes up an n810 as separate parts --including the stylus. Ah, but there's a catch. You have to order $125 worth before they'll take your order.

I must say, Nokia customer support simply doesn't get it. They clearly don't care about their customers or customer loyalty. And that's too bad because as soon as someone comes out with a similar competing product, people may start abandoning Nokia in droves. An if that happens, it serves them right. Right now, I may love my tablet, I absolutely hate Nokia because of their simply lousy customer support.

[Edit: For what it's worth, after trying to escalate the problem as far as I can on the phone with their customer support, they recommended sending a letter to the facility that deals with customer problems and issues (which I expect will be the "round file"). The postal address they gave me is: Nokia, 4630 Woodland Corp. Blvd, Suite 100, Tampa FL 33614]

Last edited by gary201; 2008-07-03 at 14:13.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA

And you can continue hating me after I send it. :D
That really doesn't solve the problem for the rest of us seeking to keep using our devices. I'm also in need of a replacement stand as well as a new screen (with digitizer) and I've run into all the same problems everyone else is complaining about--I cannot find anyplace to buy the parts and the one place that claims to have them won't sell them to me unless I'm 'certified' to be able to have those parts sold to me. Is there any way I, and others, can get this resolved?

Isn't Nokia concerned with after-market sales and support? At this point in time, they could make more profit from parts than from whole product and it would go far to satisfy customers who have liked Nokia's products and wish to remain loyal to the brand.

For instance, I had been eagerly awaiting to get a Nokia N810 WiMax when it comes out here in the US. I may change my mind--I don't want to run into this again in the future--especially now that there appears to be some excellent Linux UMPC/Tablet alternatives on the market from very competitive brands that are known to provide good support. That element may provide them with a competitive leg to stand on despite Nokia's head-start and excellent product.

Advice would be appreciated. I'm not willing to ship my device out for repair--that seems ridiculous to me. The cost of repair and shipping is not worth it to me--I'm very capable of doing things myself. Maybe a collective purchase from a few people who are looking for replacement backplates/kickstands? Screens? Better still, do you know where I can buy parts from that maybe I hadn't come across?

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Rochester NY
Danramos, try calling "Jacks Place" in NYC. I searched high and low and got a tip from the Nokia store in NYC that this place can order parts from Nokia. I bought three stylus pens for my n810 that they special ordered. I've posted info about it with their contact info on the forums here within the past month or so.

Gary...