Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
A short video of a late build of the Pro 1:

<link removed>
Edit:
Seems like the video contained personal information. Video removed

Last edited by HtheB; 2019-05-17 at 17:48.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Z_4ca8jthAs

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
For me personally I am not against a certain level of surveillance cameras, nor a certain use of location services by operators to know roughly where you are.
Absolutely, there's a huge difference between targeted surveillance and mass surveillance. In fact, all evidence seems to point in the direction of mass surveillance being much worse at actually catching the 'bad guys'. There's so much data that at some point anything and anyone can reasonably be considered suspect, so whoever's pulling the strings can point out anyone as the bad guy, and hide the real culprits.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
I think that depends on how abusive the "watchdog" is...

For me personally I am not against a certain level of surveillance cameras, nor a certain use of location services by operators to know roughly where you are. But I absolutely hated things like browser is showing what my wife is searching for in Amazon; the exact shops/buildings I have been; the similar topics that I have been reading. (And I think this is the worst and creating the generation might being generally dumber...)
Just saw the post from Mr. Mobile
you were in NYC and didn't tell anyone??

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxicenVg...on_share_sheet

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post

Yeah I know right. I mention it earlier in the thread. But guess we have to wait.

x

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post

I didn't go to NYC. But well found.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I think that depends on how abusive the "watchdog" is...

For me personally I am not against a certain level of surveillance cameras, nor a certain use of location services by operators to know roughly where you are. But I absolutely hated things like browser is showing what my wife is searching for in Amazon; the exact shops/buildings I have been; the similar topics that I have been reading. (And I think this is the worst and creating the generation might being generally dumber...)
While I agree to some extent that some surveillance may have some collective benefits in very specific and legitimate cases, one has to stress that it all depends on who is in charge of the surveillance, what the data is collected for, and when the data is analyzed. If a multinational private company pulls the strings, or when the data is collected to increase their revenue, or even when the data is analyzed a priori regardless of any criminal issue to investigate (which would not solve this one crime, but greatly discourage others crimes), that surely leaves some concern.

Also, where to draw the line between privacy and public safety will of course vary a lot among people, but a "certain use of location servers to know where users are" is in my opinion already way beyond the line. Especially when location history also gives knowledge of where they were before, what are their habits, and when did they change them. People whose location might be of interest to the authorities* should be tracked by other (targeted) means instead of thanks to massive surveillance. Rough location thanks to GSM antennas is one thing, so far not really analyzed for no reason in my country, but GPS tracking with Google Services is a plague.

* I am not talking about marketing reasons for knowing people's location because I do not think they should be deemed acceptable.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2019-05-19 at 22:46.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
The teasing is very unfair, so close yet so far.

x

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Was in a new spot today with a SFOS device and realised without Google Maps POI it was very hard to look for nearby lunch places.
You like my stories, do you?

So here's another one:

Yesterday I was driving my kids to a birthday party. The address was Church Street in a village nearby. I was extremely busy all weekend and did not have time to look up the address beforehand but I thought, no problem, I can just type the address in Pure Maps before we leave.

But then two things happened: Pure Maps could not find the postcode and my phone could not find my current location.

So I had a radical idea: go low-tech. I know where the village is, surely we can find Church Street and in the worst case, ask someone. And guess what? It worked! We found it. Very quickly. Without technology.

The same for eating places. I have never ever used any Google services for that. I just look around or ask someone. You know, like people used to do.

Last edited by pichlo; 2019-05-20 at 09:36. Reason: A typo: s/though/thought

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit