Notices

@Android_808

If you don't trust a link, use curl and look through the source code.

I still can't figure out how to even look at torify option/commands in n900's xterminal (someone said run from cli, but I don't understand how or what that is).

I type /usr/bin/torify and it says not found. I type torify only and it says something about tor sockets not found. I'm not finding a simple guide on how to proceed here or w/ google. please--I need some more help.

Also, does anyone happen to know if TOR on n900 is set ready to work with the phone's built-in Skype app? Or if this is another thing that would need to be manually set up?

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Transmission:
If used with TOR only the connection is negotiated via TOR, the data itself is still transmitted via insecure channels. So the impact on the TOR network should be minimal and the transfer rate is the same like without TOR.
Don't ask me how that works in detail or if it even actually works at all when the reason for using TOR is to mask your identity.
So technically it shouldn't classify as abuse but morally I think it still does. Let's face it, the #1 reason for using torrent via TOR is illegal activity (e.g. copyrighted material) and everybody who uses TOR for such purposes weakens the legitimation as a means for free information gathering or simply anonymous surfing just because you don't like the big G to know you better than you know yourself.

TOR security:
Basically TOR is a 3-level proxy chain. Your security depends on how trustworthy these proxies in your chain are. There have been rumors in the past of companies or countries running huge TOR server farms. If you by chance get three servers from the same farm, there is no increase in security at all. In fact security even decreases in that case just like it does if you browse via a forced proxy like the one of your mobile internet vendor.
btw: TOR does not implement or replace end-to-end encryption. So don't forget to use ssh just because you're in the TOR network!

Sulu, thanks for the extra info--it's helpful to know. . . .

But I'm still curious about those other questions/issues I posted about today--anyone else care to weigh in?

thanks

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
To use torify you need to first connect tor to the network. Once the little onion icon appears then you open a terminal (the CLI) and type "torify your_prog_name". Note that this will leak DNS info so if you want you can, once tor is running, use "tor-resolve host.name.here" to retrieve the IP address anonymously. Then use the IP no. with torify instead of the host name.

I have no idea if your program will work with tor. Google....

regards HA