Notices

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mozr View Post
Install ioquake and openarena from extras-devel.

The repo had trouble earlier on, and was giving the libgles install error.
unfortunately that's not all...in case of installing ioquake3 u have to link the original baseq3-files...I failed trying to do this...

the stylus didn't do anything when it happend for me. It just ekpt spinning!

Originally Posted by J0ph33 View Post
unfortunately that's not all...in case of installing ioquake3 u have to link the original baseq3-files...I failed trying to do this...
Install open arena if you do not have the original quake3 files.

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mozr View Post
Install open arena if you do not have the original quake3 files.
I have the original files, playing q3a since 2001!

...and i linked the files with X Terminal, but nothing happens then, when I want to play the game...black screen

I installed open arena, works fine so far...ok, I dont finde an option to quit while i am ingame and the accelerometer controls are terrible, but i can play it

Hope this helps someone. If you want to quit Open Arena you press the Blue Shift key and '=' sign. That will bring up the menu in Open Arena. At least it did for me.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ghule For This Useful Post:
Posts: 47 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
does quake 3 run ok for everyone here? Mine exits and shuts the game off everytime i play the fifth map. i can't get trough that level because of that. Other bug is that every now and then when i start playing quake 3, the screen just spins around and the game is unplayaple.

any tips to my problems with Quake 3? Thank you

Hey hardcore gamers, I would like to ask you something
I would like to use the accelerometre as a mouse, I mean, to control the "head (look)" like on PC, but i can't setup the accelerometre in the "Control" section, someone can help ?

Originally Posted by qole View Post
What I did:
Connect the device to a PC via USB and download your full baseq3 folder (the "N900" drive is your MyDocs folder)
Disconnect the device
Link the new baseq3 folder to your hidden one in your home directory:
Code:
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/baseq3 /home/user/.q3a/baseq3
Ah yes, this indeed fixed my problem. I put the files in the wrong place xD without the pk3 files in the ~/.q3a/baseq3/ folder apparently it just stays black and spins indefinitely and spontaneously quits when you hit the corner minimize button. Would be great if it did a check to see if the files were there and informed the user they were missing, very confusing But it's working great now. It's so ridiculous to be playing this on my n900, haha, but the autoaim makes it kind of silly... It's the only way though without a mouse. Definitely still a lot of fun, wish i knew someone around here with another n900 :'(

Originally Posted by tangs View Post
Hey hardcore gamers, I would like to ask you something
I would like to use the accelerometre as a mouse, I mean, to control the "head (look)" like on PC, but i can't setup the accelerometre in the "Control" section, someone can help ?
I'm not sure this would be desirable, I'm having a -lot- of difficulty not leaning the n900 forwards or backwards when i don't mean to... I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to keep drifting upwards and downwards, especially since you never really need to look up or down except when you're firing, and it autoaims anyways.

I'd love to know if you can disable the forward/backward tilt of the accelerometer but keep the left/right turning of it. It's a little fickle but fun to turn using it, but suuuuper frustrating to use it for forward/backwards movement (and inconsistent, if anything it should do as tangs suggested... mixing movement and turning into the same control is really awkward).

The best setup I've found by playing with it for about 15 minutes is:

fire - ctrl (proximity sensor is an awesome idea but a little difficult to use... would be really great if being closer meant "fire faster", but that doesn't really apply to this game so it seems overkill)
movement - arrow keys (set left/right as strafe left/right instead of turning in the controls menu and leave up/down as move forwards/backwards)
turning - accelerometer (just try not to lean forward or backwards too much or it will override your pressing of the up or down arrow)

The only problem is the forward/backwards movement with the accelerometer if you accidently lean forward, but aside from that it's surprisingly comfortable for such a little guy

Last edited by jcwilk; 2009-12-15 at 11:06.

Actually I agree with tang after playing a bit more... A reduced sensitivity look up/down for the forward/backward tilt could be pretty cool. I find myself trying to look up and down by tilting it.