Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
instead the first meego device is to be LG - HAH
The first device ANNOUNCED. The tentative shipping dates are pretty much the same, H2 to Q4.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
The first signs of "Fixed in Harmattan" are starting to show. Just got this on my bug (which has been confirmed as valid and already has a two-line patch upstream):

Originally Posted by Eero Tamminen
at this phase mostly just bugs critical to end users will be fixed for Fremantle (every change is a potential new bug etc). It's a bit late to get developer changes still in to Fremantle.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
And this bug is actually a regression, since in psmisc was installable in PR1.0.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by qole View Post
The first signs of "Fixed in Harmattan" are starting to show.
It's not new, is it? I'm sure we've seen quite a lot of that in Bugzilla already over the last few weeks.

http://meego.com/community/blogs/val...owards-day-one

"And now to the business: The most important question is of course about the code. We hope to move on here very quickly now. Nokia and Intel have set the target to open the MeeGo repository by the end of this month. I guess this is something that finally will signify the real "Day One" of MeeGo project, a genuine merger of moblin and maemo. What is scheduled to be available then is the first and very raw baseline to a source and binary repository to build MeeGo trunk on Intel ATOM boards and Nokia N900."

Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
http://meego.com/community/blogs/val...owards-day-one

"And now to the business: The most important question is of course about the code. We hope to move on here very quickly now. Nokia and Intel have set the target to open the MeeGo repository by the end of this month. I guess this is something that finally will signify the real "Day One" of MeeGo project, a genuine merger of moblin and maemo. What is scheduled to be available then is the first and very raw baseline to a source and binary repository to build MeeGo trunk on Intel ATOM boards and Nokia N900."
"That said, please do not take this yet as a commitment to fully productise MeeGo on N900. I am quite confident that we will end up having a really good developer distro for N900 already but committing to stabilise a consumer-grade MeeGo 1.0 (first half this year) for N900 is another story."

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
"That said, please do not take this yet as a commitment to fully productise MeeGo on N900. I am quite confident that we will end up having a really good developer distro for N900 already but committing to stabilise a consumer-grade MeeGo 1.0 (first half this year) for N900 is another story."
this would be a kick in the nuts if they didnt have plan to release full meego for n900

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
http://wiki.maemo.org/What_can_we_re...or_my_N900_.3F

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Danmark
I want to buy an n900 but I'm not sure I should. I hear a lot about the Maemo6/MeeGo and a new device based on scheduled for Q2 this year.
I have to pay 600euros and get stuck with a contract for at least 6 months if not more (depending on what offers I get).
My question now it is, should I buy it or not?
I'm not buying it because I'm a linux developer, honestly I don't know too much about linux but I intend learning a lot more in the near future (although I have some programing knowledge this isn't in my line of studies). I'm a student so 600euros is a lot for me, but I need to change my carrier and I might as well buy a phone with it, and since I get to pay it in monthly rates I might as well treat my self for my achievements and buy a phone that suits me.
I don't want an Iphone, apples policy to openness is... I also hate google for their idea of putting a cookie on everything, etc.
The only brand I like is Nokia.

Right now what n900 offeres is pretty good for me, I mean it offeres everything I might need at this point, BUT it would be pretty stupid for me to buy the n900 now and in 1-2-3 months a new one phone comes out.
I can't afford to buy a new phone too soon.

So what do you say, should I wait or should I buy it now?

My main concerns are: form what I've read Maemo 6 uses Qt, which is different from the current situation, and probably most of the developer will prefer developing in Qt programs compatibles with Maemo 6, and MeeGo and future symbian and will neglect Maemo 5.
Also from what I've read there should be a next update for Maemo 5 which should include Qt. Does this mean that the programs from the other releases will be compatible with Maemo 5? (of course excluding cases when it will be limited by the HW).

So what do you say? And please if you're actually going to be mean, don't answer.

PR 1.2 will include QT4.6 and the most Symbian and MeeGo apps written in QT should run on the N900.
I don't see any reason why you shouldn't buy it, if you like the phone.

Tags
compatibility, future, harmattan, harmattan is for new $$$, maemo, maemo 6, n900, speculation, upgrade