Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy View Post
Sprint (until the T-Mobile merger is complete) is a CDMA carrier. Which means they only use SIM cards for their LTE service (so only VoLTE phone calls would work), and they have to manually allow all phones to use their service. It has been a long time since I was on Sprint, so things could have changed, but I'm not sure that the Pro 1 will work on Sprint...
As far as I know the phone will work, but I doubt Sprint will know which sim card to give me, hence why I'm asking here. They probably don't even know this phone exists

https://www.fxtec.com/networks-bands-pro1-support/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
As far as I know the phone will work, but I doubt Sprint will know which sim card to give me, hence why I'm asking here. They probably don't even know this phone exists

https://www.fxtec.com/networks-bands-pro1-support/
That's what I'm saying. They have to MANUALLY activate your phone for your account. If they don't know it exists, then you can't use it. I had another phone from a different start-up years ago, and the same was true for that phone. If they don't "ok" it, you can't use it. The bands that the Pro 1 uses doesn't mean much if they block you from using their services.

Also, what do you mean by which SIM card? Are you talking size?

Last edited by imaginaryenemy; 2019-08-01 at 17:18.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post:
That's what I'm saying. They have to MANUALLY activate your phone for your account. If they don't know it exists, there you can't use it. I had another phone from a different start-up years ago, and the same was true for that phone. If they don't "ok" it, you can't use it. The bands that the Pro 1 uses doesn't mean much if they block you from using their services.

Also, what do you mean by which SIM card? Are you talking size?

Sent from my Nokia 9 using Tapatalk
No not size, sim card model. Every phone registered on the Sprint network typically has a sim (ICCID chip) for LTE coverage. They have cards that work with multiple phones, but cards are not interchangable. Ex: pixel 1 card can't be used in a pixel 2, but can go to another pixel 1 or any other phone that takes the same model card. But they can be reused and do not store personal info. I think it goes by phone generations typically. Do a quick search for cards and you'll see what I mean they all have different product codes.
I've never activated an unknown phone before on the network so let's see how this goes.
I think Verizon customers will have to varying degrees a semi similar problem

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
No not size, sim card model. Every phone registered on the Sprint network typically has a sim (ICCID chip) for LTE coverage. They have cards that work with multiple phones, but cards are not interchangable. Ex: pixel 1 card can't be used in a pixel 2, but can go to another pixel 1 or any other phone that takes the same model card. But they can be reused and do not store personal info. I think it goes by phone generations typically. Do a quick search for cards and you'll see what I mean they all have different product codes.
I've never activated an unknown phone before on the network so let's see how this goes.
I think Verizon customers will have to varying degrees a semi similar problem
I found this information:

Your SIM, or Subscriber Identity Module, does have a number associated with it, called a SIM serial number (SSN). This number is also referred to as the integrated circuit card identifier (ICCID). ICCIDs are stored in the SIM cards and are also engraved or printed on the side of the card.
And this:

The format of the ICCID is: MMCC IINN NNNN NNNN NN C x
MM = Constant (ISO 7812 Major Industry Identifier)
CC = Country Code
II= Issuer Identifier
N{12} = Account ID ("SIM number")
C = Checksum calculated from the other 19 digits using the Luhn algorithm.
x= An extra 20th digit is returned by the 'AT!ICCID?' command, but it
Both make it very clear (to me) that the ICCID is nothing more than a way for your carrier to identify you and know whether or not you are allowed to attempt to use their network. It is nothing more than an identification number on your SIM, not a separate card for your phone.

As far as interchangeability goes, I imagine each phone needs to be activated to each card, so you can't swap without the card being activated to that phone.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I was only trying to help save you from purchasing a phone you couldn't use on your carrier. I would be very pleased to hear that you can use the Pro 1 without any issues. It has just been my experience that Sprint and Verizon don't play nice with "unknown" phones. Hopefully the Pro 1 having CDMA bands will help with this? I sincerely hope it works out for you.

Last edited by imaginaryenemy; 2019-08-01 at 19:03. Reason: Clarifying intent

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
What you are talking about here seems to be quite horrible to me!

I am very happy that in general a SIM can be put into any phone and it works. Sprint seems to be a US provider. I am really sorry for you that you have to deal with this. In whole Europe, Brasil, Australia and even China it just works.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post:
I found this information:

And this:

Both make it very clear (to me) that the ICCID is nothing more than a way for your carrier to identify you and know whether or not you are allowed to attempt to use their network. It is nothing more than an identification number on your SIM, not a separate card for your phone.

As far as interchangeability goes, I imagine each phone needs to be activated to each card, so you can't swap without the card being activated to that phone.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I was only trying to help save you from purchasing a phone you couldn't use on your carrier. I would be very pleased to hear that you can use the Pro 1 without any issues. It has just been my experience that Sprint and Verizon don't play nice with "unknown" phones. Hopefully the Pro 1 having CDMA bands will help with this? I sincerely hope it works out for you.
**** now you got me worried...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Macros View Post
What you are talking about here seems to be quite horrible to me!

I am very happy that in general a SIM can be put into any phone and it works. Sprint seems to be a US provider. I am really sorry for you that you have to deal with this. In whole Europe, Brasil, Australia and even China it just works.
The phone will work if phone has registered IMEI -number... It does not matter what SIM you put on it...

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
The only thing that is leaving me with a litle doubt is the fact of not knowing it FxTec will have Sailfish support and if it will be needed to pay another license to Jolla

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
Originally Posted by catbus View Post
The phone will work if phone has registered IMEI -number... It does not matter what SIM you put on it...
This doesn't change much. I am certain the IMEI wasn't registered when I imported Droid 4s from the USA. I am even more certain the $3 GM Modules I got from Aliexpress have no registered IMEI. So this rule doesn't seem to apply here. And I am happy that the government has to do several more steps to trace my activities by cell towers here. After all I haven't done anything bad.

Also I am quite curious: What happens with tourists who visit?
Do they have to register their phones when entering the country? Do foreign SIMs work regardless of them being in a registered IMEI phone?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by deutch1976 View Post
The only thing that is leaving me with a litle doubt is the fact of not knowing it FxTec will have Sailfish support and if it will be needed to pay another license to Jolla
It will almost certainly have a decent community port, and therefore you will have nothing to pay since community ports only feature the free content (no Alien Dalvik, no MS Exchange, no text prediction). If one day Jolla offers an official licence for the Pro1, I'll throw at them all the money they want anyway.

Chenliangchen confirmed again yesterday that the community port of SFOS can reasonably be expected sooner or later:

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit