Posts: 107 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ India . Mumbai
Well with latest Phones in market.......What future does N900 or Maemo has!!!

Well i am proud of its Inbuilt Features of this phone ......But I dont think maemo is going anyway Further As Meego is the new Avatar For it!(i guess maemo got Ditched by Nokia!!!)

Well Android is the new king dominating the Market with the latest touch and apps.....I guess N900 is falling way back to its competition!!!

The apps Developed are never complete(bugs sometimes)...or nor its of daily use or of anyuse at all!!!! (as majority are developed by People who own N900 and wants to keep people from extinction of Meamo)

so whats NEXT......

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Helsinki
What next?

I think everyone will carry on using their N900s until such time as they purchase another device.

Like, er, with every other phone for example!!

Just because new things come along it doesn't mean that N900s stop working. I still use an N73 and even a 6100 as a backup phone and when I travel abroad and they were released 4 and 7 years ago respectively!

What did you think? That we would just decide to jettison them into the sun?

Last edited by Mr_Ryde; 2010-09-09 at 08:31.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr_Ryde For This Useful Post:
Posts: 349 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ PS/IL
Seriously i think these words are overused, I hate them: Future, MeeGo, Ditched, Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chrome For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Bangkok
Originally Posted by Siddarth View Post
so whats NEXT......
Threw away Maemo/Meego Device and buy Some

Android/iPhone for Cool'z Application and Game

Don't forget BB for Chat ... Nokia and Ovi will Dead in Couple Years

[Edit] HTC EVO 4G http://www.htc.com/us/products/evo-sprint

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Helsinki
Exactly. I'm going to keep my N900 until it breaks because, for a handheld device, it is awesome. And don't think that I am stuck with it, I could have any phone on the market within the hour, but I like it and all this speculative böllöcks is pissing me off.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ MUMBAI
N900 doesn't compare to any other phone currently in market.

and future of N900 isn't dependent on the current market smartphones..

Trust me the MAEMO community has done well in supporting the phone. A lot of useful applications are available. By useful I would mean value add applications that are stable and bug free. You can always request for certain more feature but yes. You have most of the necessary things already developed.

Like you have excellent media players / streaming application. You have office application (paid) but really excellent. You have support for mail. Voice / Video Chat. You have emulators to various gaming platforms.

You can do VPN over phone ..WOW. I never tried this..or I don't intend to use this phone for that..But consider the possibilities available..

MAEMO is an OS and I guess it is not going to die or phase out. It was already used on previous internet tablets.

Now it is unfortunate for Nokia to go behind MEEGO, develop a new platform all together. But even no one knows what it has promising in. As even that can be replaced in future. But remember MEEGO will be new and MAEMO is already matured and has a large support currently.

Nokia has already stopped marketing N900. I can confidently say atleast in India Nokia never marketed/promoted N900.

I am happy that N900 was available when I wanted to do a phone switch. And I chose to go for N900. I was overwhelmed by the fan following during the preorder days. The anxiousness of people eagerly waiting for it to be deliverd. Blaming AMAZON/NOKIA/DELL/NEWEGG for all the shipping delays.

I find N900 a real opportunity for many phone lovers to own a mini desktop with excellent app support for maps/office/mail/phone/media/games ..etc...

so cheers to the success of N900 and am sure Nokia will improvise. I feel just one grudge that Nokia over priced N900 when it launched...they should have at least had a complete firmware before launching it ...it is more unlike with other competitors. They would never do that..

The Following User Says Thank You to abhishek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Siddarth View Post

Well i am proud of its Inbuilt Features of this phone ......But I dont think maemo is going anyway Further As Meego is the new Avatar For it!(i guess maemo got Ditched by Nokia!!!)

Well Android is the new king dominating the Market with the latest touch and apps.....I guess N900 is falling way back to its competition!!!

The apps Developed are never complete(bugs sometimes)...or nor its of daily use or of anyuse at all!!!! (as majority are developed by People who own N900 and wants to keep people from extinction of Meamo)

so whats NEXT......
I predict that the N900 will continue to be able to be used as a phone and a web browser and for many other functions for many years. If 3d cell phones are developed, or phones that are invisible and wired into our brains, I predict that almost none of the phones that you can purchase will work well with the new capabilities.

So, if you want something that will last into the unknown, indefinite future and has the capability to remain at the cutting edge of whatever happens next, I think you are out of luck.

On the other hand, if you want something that continues to be usable for what you can do with it now, I think you are pretty safe.

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
n900 is falling back to competition?

you mean your n900 isnt with the evolution mode on? cos mine now is running the new arm eagle quad core with 4gb of ram, using meego 3.5, internal capacity is well over 1 terabyte and it prints money.

and on that note... you mean that the software available for android does not have bugs?! WOW!!!! I want to have what you are having.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HangLoose For This Useful Post:
Posts: 107 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ India . Mumbai
Originally Posted by HangLoose View Post
n900 is falling back to competition?

you mean your n900 isnt with the evolution mode on? cos mine now is running the new arm eagle quad core with 4gb of ram, using meego 3.5, internal capacity is well over 1 terabyte and it prints money.

and on that note... you mean that the software available for android does not have bugs?! WOW!!!! I want to have what you are having.
looks like u got a Customized version of Hybrid N900......Well done!
Well i am not saying Android doesn't have bugs....But its Surely eating up other OS ..and Will dominate the world market!
As for Meemo....it all started with M and ended with O! End of story!

I find these posts kind of sad.
Until Wireless G support stops being common, and all the current phone methods(GSM, EDGE etc.) aren't in use, the N900 won't be "dead". And even -then-, it will still have some use.

I mean, lets take a look at this device I have: an Iriver H320. Its aproximately 5 years old. By todays standards, the screen is tiny, and its processor is a joke.
Does it still do what it was designed to do? Yup. MP3s etc. play flawlessly. And if you stick the Rockbox alternate firmware on there, it can do -more- than it was designed to.

So to take the example back to the N900, yes, at some point it may not be the latest and greatest... but that doesn't mean its useless.
I mean, even if it loses its capability to be a good mobile device, plug it into a charger, hook it up to the network, and you have yourself a nice little silent server. Or use it for any number of things, thanks to its bluetooth, wifi and GSM interfaces.

Also, unlike my specific example, or heck, even an Apple ipod, the battery is replacable*! This means that it can be used for many years; so long as a compatible battery is made(or can be hacked together).

(* Yea, I know with the proper tools it is possible...)

So, to reiterate: I don't see the issue. The N900's a great toy, and will continue to be such for years. It may not be the latest and greatest, but... WHO CARES?

-Rob

The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post: