Active Topics

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ London, UK
I think this is a great idea! As long as it's policed reasonably well, it should certainly speed up the initial learning curve.

Some form of cross-referencing between forums would be handy, e.g. Simple method to link from TS to ITT threads maybe?

Sounds like the new site could be compared to a public company forum: No technical jargon and language intended for the wider audience.

Two separate Wiki's sounds like a good idea too.

With regards to the risk of splitting the user base, I think the potential gains out way the risk. Worst case scenario, the majority migrate to the new one, the original one remains and becomes a forum for Uber Tableteers!

The Following User Says Thank You to Faz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
I don't think you have to type the whole answer out but if you what it is you can search it for someone and give them the link to the first post that answered it. The only problem with that is some anwsers get diluted but other stuff so I find its best to just tell them the anwser again.
Yes but if you are telling the "answerer" to "search" to help the "newbie" that is completely backwards.

I'm with Benson.. If the question looks thought out and the asker presents themself in such a way that it appears they did do some work on their own to find it out.. I'll lay it out for them.. give them exact search words with a link directly to the article.

If they just pop up and post a question on something that was just answered and is still 2 threads beneath their own.... No. Not worth my time and energy helping people that don't want to help themself...

The old addage:
Catch a man a fish - feed him for a day..
teach a man to fish - feed him for life.

Seriously.. the Search button is a newbies best friend.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I think we should have a single site with new posts updated on the front page of both itt and its. and do away with logging in. it should be an unwritten rule that only peple whowant to help reply in the its section.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Sink or swim mentality has made the community all it is today ( good and bad ). Tablet Scene will, in theory, allow us to experiment with a currently under served portion of the community and possibly expand the community to many more users.

The Following User Says Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Yes but if you are telling the "answerer" to "search" to help the "newbie" that is completely backwards.

I'm with Benson.. If the question looks thought out and the asker presents themself in such a way that it appears they did do some work on their own to find it out.. I'll lay it out for them.. give them exact search words with a link directly to the article.

If they just pop up and post a question on something that was just answered and is still 2 threads beneath their own.... No. Not worth my time and energy helping people that don't want to help themself...

The old addage:
Catch a man a fish - feed him for a day..
teach a man to fish - feed him for life.

Seriously.. the Search button is a newbies best friend.
But if the man has no idea what a fish is he doesn't know what he wants to eat.

Thanks about that one.

Also Barking at someone to go search for an answer is not teaching him to fish. Its telling him to go fishing.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

But if the man has no idea what a fish is he doesn't know what he wants to eat.

Thanks about that one.
Point taken.. however if I see someone ask a question about trout... and I say "search for fish" ... I shouldn't be looked at as a rude, callous jerk either :P.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ London, UK
The only problem with that is some answers get diluted but other stuff so I find its best to just tell them the answer again.
Well put.

This is less of an issue when the OP edits the original post accordingly. The thread them becomes almost like a Wiki in it's own right.

I'm sure I've seen one or two threads where the Admins have "fixed" this where the OP isn't in a position to do this themselves.

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Norway
I think its a good idea. Whenever someone asks for something in here, the most likely outcome is an answer that involves writing a novel in xterm, reflashing with a grapefruit, installing 14 different linux distros, shaking the tablet for 20 minutes and finally compile some kernel found on NASAs top security server which of course anyone can hack into.
Although thats a bit of an exaggeration, thats the way a lot of explenations seem like for people who are new to all of this. Its easy for people that know stuff to forget how it was when they didnt know it and so how to explain it properly. Personally ive never used linux outside the n800 and a lot of stuff on ITT (like mouse polling, screen rotate) ive stayed faaaar away from because i dont get half of the **** in the "how to"s.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cptnodegard For This Useful Post:
I appreciate the extra effort to help someone like me who gets lost in the technical jargon.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jschon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
The search button in either forum should give results from both sites....
I''m not sure if that's a comment on how it will work or a suggestion.
If it could be made to work that way, it would make things a lot easier and I'd think both sites would be more usefull.

Tags
newbies, tablet scene