Notices

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
I don't know if this is a specific part of the new theme, but I noticed that the xterm in 2008 is now white background w/black letters, which seem (to me, of course) to be easier to read.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
I noticed that the xterm in 2008 is now white background w/black letters
It' s a preferences now.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
It' s a preferences now.
It's always been on preferences AFAIR

I have not yet been able to find a theme I like. For anything.
I'm a big fan of light-on-dark. And simplicity; the more "cartoonish" icons (esp. the tray icons) do appeal to me. Not to say that gradients, blurs, 3d-curved looking effects, etc. are bad, just often highly over-used. One theme I do like is the Detonation-Green theme for XMMS/winamp:
http://xmms.org/files/Skins/images/detonation.jpg
If I had time, I'd love to make a Detonation-like theme for OS2008. Since I don't, I'll resort to begging: If anyone is looking for themes to make, and kinda likes that screenshot, please make me one!

Posts: 211 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
I saw that Plankton-theme showed up in my "Installable Applications" the other night. I installed it, and it supports the system tray well enough, but not the left-side bar. I'm not that fond of the color scheme used for the large menus either (no grey please).

I might have to try my hand at themes for OS2008. There are some themes under WindowBlinds that I'd like to see on the N8x0. I'm hoping that we'll see more themes for OS2008 than we did for OS2007.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
I have alpha version of theme maker now for download.
https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=36
If anyone is interested in making themes, that's the tool to do it. The os2008 support is still pretty much not there, but the themes are now compatible and they are working. I suggest that anyone interested in making themes should start making themes on that, but don't widely spread the created themes yet, as they are missing quite a lot of usefull stuff and some of the things are just plain simple broken.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by konttori View Post
I have alpha version of theme maker now for download.
https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=36
If anyone is interested in making themes, that's the tool to do it. The os2008 support is still pretty much not there, but the themes are now compatible and they are working. I suggest that anyone interested in making themes should start making themes on that, but don't widely spread the created themes yet, as they are missing quite a lot of usefull stuff and some of the things are just plain simple broken.
Thanks Konttori! I had to give it a go right away, and it worked on my N810! Er... a little too well, perhaps.

I opened the image file (.png) with photoshop and made two modifications. I changed the color of the people icon and the color of the 'up' finger-scroll button that appears in the pop-up app menu. I made the .deb file and installed it, then changed to the new theme. At first, only the button color changed, and that was good enough for me, so I changed back to a stock theme and everything seemed to go back as before.

Then, today I re-booted (for other reasons) and when it came back on, first it loaded the knottori boot screen icon, then loaded the 'old' icons on the left. The people icon was now the color I changed it to in my new theme. Again, I thought, ok, that's progress! But I want to go back, so I changed themes, and, well, nothing. Still have the old icons. So I rebooted. No change. I uninstalled the theme and rebooted. I still have the old icons.

This is not a complaint, since I am happily a beta tester, but I would like your feedback and suggestions if possible. I look forward to making some neat themes once the details are ironed out. Thanks again.

Last edited by Greyghost; 2007-12-04 at 02:03.