Notices

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Just an FYI, I've gone ahead and submitted Lanterne 0.5.4, with a "sleep timer" ability; you can set a timeout value (from 1-120 minutes) on the Preferences window, and any torch activity after that (normal, pulsed, or SOS) will stop when the time runs out.

Unfortunately, the autobuilder is apparently out of commission right now, and with all the other interesting things going on in the Maemo community this weekend, I have no clue when anyone will get a chance to look at it...

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
wow. you are too quick Copernicus. request a feature today and have it tomorrow. Thanks for this app and all the great features and updates. seems like i can now remove flashlight app.

Thanks again for your hardwork.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
"Learn bits about N900 sound thingie's", you ain't kidding. The GStreamer mechanism is vast; I spent an amazing amount of time researching, selecting components, and twiddling with parameters before I managed to record a single audio file. And I suspect you could spend a lifetime trying to come up with an optimal GStreamer pipeline, there are just so many variables to consider... And, as it turns out, I didn't understand DBus nearly as well as I'd thought either.
Yea, I suspected a hatch there, as it was suspicious, that - despite how popular recaller is, despite being so critically bugged - no one made a decent solution before.

Anyway, after much teeth-gnashing and hair-pulling, I've come up with a rudimentary audio recording app. It still needs work, but I figure I should put it out there and see what folks think about it. I've named it "Orecchiette"; I'll go ahead and put up an announce thread for it...
And even The Beatles are singing "ye, ye ye!" right now, on the radio Thanks a lot! BTW, I really like how you name programs by *both* tasty food/pasta and application purpose. While Pierogi didn't have much in common with IR or remote (but, hardly, any food does), "Lanterne" for flashlight LEDs and "Orecchiette" for audio recording is just ingenious.

I'm still working out the details on how audio actually works. I've currently got SPX, AAC, WAV, and FLAC encoding options set up, and they all seem to be working. I dunno if MP3 will work, there are patent encumbrances on it; but there might be a Nokia MP3 plugin available... Is "OGG" actually an audio encoding? I thought it was video. Let me do some research.

EDIT: Ah, yeah, "OGG" is the mechanism used for packaging audio and video together. (Kind of like Matroska.) There are several open source audio formats; I've already got support for Speex (an encoding format optimized for voice data). There's also Vorbis and Opus, which are higher-end encodings for music. Dunno just how much of a load using those would place on the N900, though.
Decided to answer in Orecch's thread, see:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...02&postcount=7

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Considering, that repos are stuck for more than a week so, and we don't have signs of anyone working at it (disclaimer - not confirmed, just my subjective feeling, that they decided to "wait it out"), maybe it's good idea to temporaly attach new Lanterne as .deb file in OP, just like in good'bad'old-times, when repos were down?

It would be shame to stall development, due to incompetience of someone totally unrelated to project.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
maybe it's good idea to temporaly attach new Lanterne as .deb file in OP, just like in good'bad'old-times, when repos were down?
Will do! I'll go ahead and attach the 0.5.4 .deb...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 198 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Louth / Ireland
Thanks for the .deb Already got it, timer is working as planned - thank You. I'm not sure, but in previous version I didn't had to hold the Strobe button to keep it on (blinking).

That app is like install 1 get 10 in bundle. Great stuff from pasta maker.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garrett_PL For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Garrett_PL View Post
I'm not sure, but in previous version I didn't had to hold the Strobe button to keep it on (blinking).
Drat; please let me know if that behavior continues. It may or may not be a potential hazard to keep the LEDs going at high power, but I'd prefer not to risk it...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Garrett_PL View Post
I'm not sure, but in previous version I didn't had to hold the Strobe button to keep it on (blinking).
Belive me, you had to I was trying to convince Copernicus to allow us enable led self-destruct mode, but he prevailed. And he is probably right, like usual. While probability of having flash leds damaged before N900's mobo die of any other reasons is very low, it would still suxx to hit that unlucky 1% chance and have crippled camera, just for this little brighter blink, used daily as torch repl.*

/Estel

*Which doesn't mean I haven't hacked a script to run 500 ms ON and 100 ms OFF duty cycle, which I'm using daily as torch repl, anyway - I'm just badass like that!
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Last edited by Estel; 2013-06-11 at 12:07.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 198 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Louth / Ireland
Belive me, you had to I was trying to convince Copernicus to allow us enable led self-destruct mode, but he prevailed. And he is probably right, like usual. While probability of having flash leds damaged before N900's mobo die of any other reasons is very low, it would still suxx to hit that unlucky 1% chance and have crippled camera, just for this little brighter blink, used daily as torch repl.*
I Belive You, I was thinking that might be a safety / "child" lock thing but I wasn't sure how it was in previous ver.

;-)
Well played

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garrett_PL For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Great just installed the latest version from the OP and have now removed "flashlight".

If you really feel the need for a cut down version of Lanterne you could call it Torchio I don't think I need it now.

If you feel it's useful you could add an option to lock the screen too on lens close/application close, however I use a separate application to do this.
It should be simple to add in, you can call the command via DBus.

The only final comment I have is your preferences windows (all pasta shapes) seems to be a few pixels too big for portrait operation.
If scrolling was only available vertically and the window and contains was slightly smaller. The preferences window would work really well.

I like pasta, hopefully we will see many more varieties.
I am sure there are many more simple but much needed applications.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:

Tags
flashlight, lanterne, morse code, nokia n900, strobe light, torch