Active Topics

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ecuador
Yes, if for you the n900 is a 90s phone with no features that u wanna have, so u didnt research enough because its really easy determine:
1) It has Maemo 5, a new os, sucesor of Maemo 4, and for being new it has a few app, and if u reseached a lot u should know that if for the N8xx series was a few app, that will be the same for N900
2) Nokia says that Maemo 5 is step 5/6, and that the N900 was targeted to really high end tech people, so thats why is really a lot friendly with REAL tech guys
Yes, the n900 appears like an unfinished phone, sucks with the not enough battery and it really has not so much apps BUT for me, its really amazing the things that i can do, and for me its really a great device, and pros are way more that cons... my advice is if u can sell the n900, sell it and buy another phone that meet your requirements, and really thank you for giving ypur opinion about this device, its great to see opnion from both sides: love side & hate side

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maguitodelrock For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Oh boy. This should be entertaining since I've: 1) calmed down, 2) got some popcorn and 3) know it'll spark a nigh-riot.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I'm pretty happy with my N900 and would't trade it for anything else.

The Following User Says Thank You to NokiaRocks For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Jeezzz...seems there's a awful lot of people who bought N900s without doing enough research on it (yes, I said it again) so that they:

a. Understand what it does and doesn't do.
b. Understand what it's supposed to do and not do.
c. Understand what Maemo is all about.

IOW, the basics you should know before spending a chunka cash on anything. I made sure I understood all 3 of the above so I got exactly what I expected and more. Best 'phone' I've ever owned or used hands down, not even close. For me. For many others. Not for everyone.

But neither is a iPhone, Blackberry, N97 or whatever perfect for everyone. Clearly, each has it's intended users and will only please those owners who choose the correct unit for them. I'm sorry, but if someone makes the wrong choice, it's their own fault not the manufacturer's. If you really need a pickup truck but can't resist getting a Mustang, you don't complain to Ford when you can't haul a refrigerator with it. So if ya don't like the N900, it doesn't meet your needs - fine, sell it and move on to something else.

Can we move on to more constructive use of this forum now? Like actually helping other users, stuff like that?
Registered Linux user #266531.

Last edited by Crashdamage; 2010-02-14 at 06:42.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by UNderworld View Post
sorry, did u say PHONE?? another answer on "research".. lol...

by the way, I have summarised a few things after reading a few discussions (sorry going off topic)

If u want games, get a PSP.
If u want a phone, get a proper phone
If u want loads of apps, get an iphone
if u want a music player, get an ipod
and the list goes on for every shortcoming....

why get a N900 then?

because if u want Internet, simply get a laptop. It might b cheaper and u will have a bigger screen
Really??

PSP can't make a phone call. (I have one btw)
iPhone can't do half the stuff N900 can.
iPod can't make a phone call.
Laptop doesn't fit in my jeans pocket. Maybe it does in yours.

I want 1 device in my pocket for:
- Videos. We all know N900 is better than iphone here.
- Games. SNES emulator is more than enough. (oh. vgba, mastergear, mame, summvm also)
- Apps. To me, N900 has more useful apps than iPhone. (ie. Openoffice, Gimp, truecrypt, MicroB, mplayer etc)
- Music. N900 plays mp3's just fine. There's also Mediabox. Built-in FM transmitter rocks btw. (and I hate iTunes!!)
- Xterminal with root access for full linux experience with Openssh/sftp and scripting.
- Hardware keyboard that can be fully custom mapped. (Up to 4 mappings per key!)
- Capable of downloading a torrent while having 5 web sites open at once while being connected to Skype, Google Talk and MSN IM all at the same time and leave them all running in the background to open up a video file and watch it. (or play a game)

What shortcomings are you talking about?

Tell me a device which is better than the N900 that CAN make a phone call, SMS, MMS and fit in a pocket and do all the stuff i wrote above.If there is one, I'll buy it. I don't think you can argue that N900 is the closest thing to a mini laptop at this current size right now. No competition in the market place from what I can see.

I buy whatever is best for me. I don't care about brand.
When there is something much better, I'll buy it for sure.

Last edited by jakiman; 2010-02-14 at 06:54.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 49 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cape Town
When I read the title of this thread I thought to myself 'exactly, this is unlike any other phone' but I thought the thread would be praising the N900 for exactly this reason. Maemo is unlike any phone OS I've ever used - it's really powerful with it's multitasking capabilities. It may not be complete yet but the potential here is something other phones will never match, and Maemo is becoming more complete everyday. As it is, it's the best phone I've ever used, by far. It takes some getting used to though...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joelus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by joelus View Post
When I read the title of this thread I thought to myself 'exactly, this is unlike any other phone' but I thought the thread would be praising the N900 for exactly this reason.
Exactly. I thought that also. lol.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by UNderworld View Post
sorry, did u say PHONE?? another answer on "research".. lol...

by the way, I have summarised a few things after reading a few discussions (sorry going off topic)

If u want games, get a PSP
If u want a phone, get a proper phone
If u want loads of apps, get an iphone
if u want a music player, get an ipod
and the list goes on for every shortcoming....

why get a N900 then?

because if u want Internet, simply get a laptop. It might b cheaper and u will have a bigger screen
I just imagine how you are wearing a PSP, phone, iphone, ipod and a 18,4" notebook around :P

Well you have luck, there exist the N900 so you don't need to carry all that stuff

I guess that is your "PC":

You are right, why you need a N900 to calculate something when you can use this PC instead? You can even get it free from the trashcan so its cheaper then a N900!

My opinion: You are just another flamer here who wants to get some attention, If I would go in the Dell forum and say "Dell sucks" then it would cause the same reactions. I think we really need more moderators here to close such threads directly and ban people like you from the forums.

Last edited by Crogge; 2010-02-14 at 06:56.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crogge For This Useful Post:
Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by x61 View Post
The N900 has proven to be the only modern day phone with primitive features from the 90s. Dont tell me I should have done my research because none of us here knows what an epic failure this phone will be simply by following what Nokia lists as "features" of the device. And those that knew the primitive nature of features such as the GPS maps are the developer and I can guranttee you that they dont have the N900 as their primary phone to perform navigation tasks. It is common for the N900 fanboys here to label people that show displeasure in the phone a "whinner". For Nokia to remain competative in the mobile industry, they must stop producing mediocre devices and the fanboys here have to start demanding more from them.
get away you bloody irritating WHINNER..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enyibinakata For This Useful Post:
Okay, who else thinks UNderworld is guber99. Their excessive use of

u

combined with their flamebait is enough already. Time to end both of them. Let's take a vote; I'll need a second.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:

Tags
don't answer me, stay on your island