Active Topics

I'm having a lot of trouble getting the N800 to play streaming radio (eg: BBC) - keeps busting up after 30 seconds or so. A couple of sites, including BBC, tell me I need RealPlayer installed but when I download the Linux version, the N800 won't install it, claiming "Installation file corrupted". Any thoughts out there?

YYou can play real audio with the builtin media player, but i don't know if there is a
plugin for opera or not. I have just typed in the BBC urls. (For example, the url for the
essential mix stream is: rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio1/essmix.ra)

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Opera will display a little icon when Real Video content is embedded on a page, tapping it will open it up.

Alternatively, the BBC also has a "Play in standalone player" option.

Both work well on the BBC (only RealVideo site I ever use).

On n800 with latest firmware, whenever I try a real audio stream on the bbc website (even in low res) I get the error "Unable to open. File format not supported."

There were some ra videos on bbc that did work and some that didnt a few weeks ago. But now I cant get any to work. Does anyone else get this problem or know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I have the same problem here with Real audio and Real video. I more or less bought the N800 to be able to watch tv from www.svt.se (Swedish Television) and listen to radio from www.sr.se (Swedish Radio) :-)

Nasa TV at www.nasa.gov is a favorite channel here and it works great with Real video. I am very thankful if somebody could assist me.

Kjell

The Following User Says Thank You to Kjell For This Useful Post:
I got confirmation from Nokia today that N800 does not support the real video streaming format on SVTīs web site. I am hoping that Nokia will do an upgrade for N800.
On SRīs web site I found the urlīs for streaming audio so now I can listen to them.

[
Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
I got confirmation from Nokia today that N800 does not
support the real video streaming format on SVTīs web site. I am hoping that Nokia
will do an upgrade for N800.
On SRīs web site I found the urlīs for streaming audio so now I can listen to them.
could you post the url?

/A fellow swede

Thanks all for jumping in but nobody has actually answered my question: what do I have to do to get my N800 to properly play Internet radio? I have a wireless laptop side-by-side to the N800 and everything plays just fine on the laptop so it's not the Internet connection. But the N800 streaming keeps busting up when using the Media Player that came with the N800. So when I try to install the Linux version of RealPlayer, the N800 refuses to install it, saying the files are corrupted.

You would need to have a version of Real Player compiled for ARM / Debian which may be why you are having problems. The Media Players handle some streams of audio but are extremely limited on bandwidth.

I haven't found it but there was a statement somewhere that only certain forms of Real Player files will play on the N800. I forget which kind though.

ORB or something may be your best bet - taking the file format and changing it to something that is better handled by the N800.

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
routing internet radio through orb is great. i highly recommend it.