Active Topics

Originally Posted by n900faniam View Post
So it looks like the boys and girls over at meego are coming good on their October Launch.

Will this much anticipated os be fully functional and end-user friendly on the N900?
Meego does not release when done, it releases at a specific week. As such it can not get delayed. The 1.2 will get released in april if I remember correctly.

This version is not fully functional nor is it end-user friendly. Maybe 1.2 is, maybe not.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lullen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
Yes. You have choices -

1. Boot from PC via USB - http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Install/Dual_Boot section "Dual booting using flasher". It is preferable for the first time, just to do an evaluation. Don't forget to put MeeGo image to uSD before that - http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Install/MMC

EDIT: instead of writing raw image to uSD you can just install deb file from Nokia-patched MeeGo - http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/meego-codedrop.php And Nokia kernel variant is there too, but I don;t know about - does it support kexec or not.
Where is this deb? Does it mean uSD isn't necessary for dual-booting Maemo and MeeGo? I should have tried USB networking... But I still hope I can use some easy command of flasher without mount and other complex commands.

I suppose I will wait till PR1.3 to try dual-booting MeeGo. I'm glad to hear that both MeeGo and better Maemo multi-boot support are coming this year.

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Belgrade, Serbia
What the hell is wrong with you people? A couple of months ago when you heard that N900 is going to get Meego you were all saying you'll flash to Meego as soon as it's released. Not when it's almost time for it to be released, you speak like you don't need it, maemo is better, you will stick to maemo... I don't get it...

The Following User Says Thank You to white_ranger For This Useful Post:
Well, MeeGo is currently not ready for end-users. Maybe because of that.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by white_ranger View Post
What the hell is wrong with you people? A couple of months ago when you heard that N900 is going to get Meego you were all saying you'll flash to Meego as soon as it's released. Not when it's almost time for it to be released, you speak like you don't need it, maemo is better, you will stick to maemo... I don't get it...
I think 'people' are not having anything wrong with them here. There is no collective group think that I have seen, just similar threads of opinion that at times that can and do diverge in what is mostly an unpredictable manner. Human nature : )

For now Maemo is better in my opinion simply because it works well enough use - I don't doubt for a moment that MeeGo will be a more complete platform once the developers start thinking about calling it 'done'. If it works better than Maemo and comes with similar or better levels of 'openness' then I'll jump ship without a second glance backward as I suspect many others would.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that - but people are fickle and unstable :-) Including me.

Seems to be some confusion going on, trying to get to the bottom of this:

Will the up and coming PR1.3 allow us to dual boot between meego and maemo?

It sounds like some N900 users are getting a bit nervous about moving permanently to meego, a dual boot option would be the perfect middle ground.

The Following User Says Thank You to n900faniam For This Useful Post:

Tags
i want my, time back