Active Topics

The smartq5 is noway comparable to n8x0. What I learn from some Chinese forum, it has hardware and software problem.
Hardware
- Direct disconnecting charger can corrupt the firmware(faulty charging circuit?)
- Unstable WIFI connection(bad placement of WIFI module?)
- Unresponsive touch screen(cheap touch screen component?)
Software
- Proprietary boot loader(no source code available)
- Base on Ubuntu hardy(Handheld mojo hasty distribution)
- Currently no English UI
- No optimization for the device (Samsung S3C 64xx CPU)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chunglam For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
In rather interesting news, my fiancee says there's the exact same box as on http://kamleung.com/goodies/q5/index.html waiting for me at home.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Hi Stskeeps, that is exciting.

Perhaps you could post here, when you can, with your impressions.

Looking forward to hearing what you think.

First impressions:

Comes with a chinese charger, good screen, locale can be changed in /etc/default/locale - you can grab a terminal with "evilvte". Nice matchbox keyboard popping up clicking in some text fields.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Excellent, you are getting good first impressions.

Does the fact that it supports Linux Ubuntu out of the box means that it lends itself to a Mer or even Android install?

Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
Excellent, you are getting good first impressions.

Does the fact that it supports Linux Ubuntu out of the box means that it lends itself to a Mer or even Android install?
Yes, - quite, but I need a specification of their firmware format (for the sole reason that they have a internal MMC for the OS) and using a rather odd upgrade tool for it. But yes, it seems quite open.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Yes, - quite, but I need a specification of their firmware format (for the sole reason that they have a internal MMC for the OS) and using a rather odd upgrade tool for it. But yes, it seems quite open.
Thanks again for all the good work on Mer. Does/will Mer be likely to support the zoom +/- and switchview/fullscreen buttons on the device? I have no idea of whether that bit is in the open or closed blobs of Maemo. Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
the hardware buttons on the linux tablets are just F-keys.

btw, where can one get hold of a Q5? good old ebay?

Last edited by tso; 2009-05-04 at 22:21.

btw, where can one get hold of a Q5?
Hi tso
I have managed to source this so far
http://www.chinaontrade.com/mic-umpc...tq-5-p-81.html
no price yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SmartQ-5-MID-8GB...3%3A1|294%3A50
$225 + Shipping

Now, this was almost way too easy:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:

Tags
parting of the red sea