Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
And how would that benefit you?
That's the wrong question, i'm just a customer. Lack of apps (lack of developer interest) doesn't benefit me at all, it makes my investment in a (non-android) device pointless.

I doubt donations are the solution to cheer up apps development. Less people are willing to donate because it is inconvinient, also, it seems too embarassing to donate 'pennies'.

If there be 100 000 devices sold, the app deficit should make a third of the owners of the phone also as potential buyers in the apps store, this should steer up development, i'd like to think.

I'd play with an idea of having an appstore where there is normal to pay for upgrades for an apps too, with longer refund periods of about a month or so. This should motivate developers, while enables to keep prices low. I've always wondered how come i'm hiring an app developer to work for me for a dollar to provide my device with lifetime of support, upgrades and new features - not viable with smaller userbase as jolla has, in my view.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post

IMO it isn't constructive criticism to say "stop doing X and do Y because I think it's best". There is no scientific proof that says that fixing defects before producing new features is the right way forward, and I'm sure everybody does what they think is best, and this applies not only to Jolla.
The empirical scientific proof that fixing defects first would be the way forward is here for me:

Since I have returned from a 2 week trip during which I have boldly volunteered to trial the Jolla as main phone after having upgraded to upgrade 10 I have dumped it in a drawer and taken the N900 as main phone with a feeling of relief.
I did not have such feeling when using the Symbian 808 for prolonged periods.

Jolla plus:

-battery life still very good for my usage pattern

-using it as a mini tablet for reading eBooks via FBReader gave me great pleasure. Also the minimum brightness is not too harsh on the eye.

-survived already 3 - 4 drops on hard tile from about 50cm height. Frame so far has absorbed shocks and glass not yet broken.
Now most of the corners of my Jolla are sexy round instead of straight and if I aim over the Jolla its now somewhat curved as well, but not in the width like an LG, only in the length like iPhone 6 max! Anyway, its holding out so far.

-excellent virtual keyboard for basic typing such as replying SMS. I experience performance and feel empowered by the Jolla.
Space bar is a little short resulting in a lot of "." in between words instead of spaces.

Negative:

-New "feature" applications closing themselves (what were they thinking - what would have been broken on the long term if this "fix" had not been applied - who tested and approved this feature - incompetency peeking)

-Several bugs (unable to connect to Wifi of choice certainly one of the most annoying N900: online as it happens, Jolla: online if it happens)

-inserting a new SIM card -> something looking like native Sailfish app gets installed w/o further notification or my permission? I don't want that to happen the way it did.
See screenshot: "maxSim". It contains crap links by network provider Vinaphone. Need to check later if this is Android or Sailfish native.

Name:  16006893089_4c5d52ab2b_o.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  33.0 KB

-Struggling with interface. auto rotation of camera interface, feeling uncertain when filling in forms on websites, saving passwords or not - which direction to swipe..
Maybe I did not use the device frequently enough until now but I feel no blind automatism coming up. Instead I find myself uselessly swiping in circles and have to think more before acting remember stuff like was it left or right to prevent work being lost.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I have always held the opinion that developers should be able to receive some income from their work (after all, that is what pays my mortgage and my kids' education), but the application should be particularly useful to demand payment. The "particularly useful" bit is of course very subjective and is up to the user to decide. Which leads to basically two options: donation or activation code.
I have always held to the opinion that ons should separate dayjob and hobbies... hence I definitely do not want to receive anything from the mobile stuff&tweaks I am doing. If I did so, it would start feeling like a job, I would need to start conform to deadlines and feel obligated to do things.

As my dayjob already pays for my living modestly, luckily I can hold on this belief.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
-inserting a new SIM card -> something looking like native Sailfish app gets installed w/o further notification or my permission? I don't want that to happen the way it did.
See screenshot: "maxSim". It contains crap links by network provider Vinaphone. Need to check later if this is Android or Sailfish native.
You need to complain to your carrier on that!!
It is a SIM-toolkit application installed by your operator!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
You need to complain to your carrier on that!!
It is a SIM-toolkit application installed by your operator!
Quite right. In fact, the lack of the SIM toolkit support was a common complaint against the N900. You can't please everyone

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I have always held to the opinion that ons should separate dayjob and hobbies... hence I definitely do not want to receive anything from the mobile stuff&tweaks I am doing.
That's why I inserted "to be able to". It should be optional. I do not expect payments either.

EDIT
Having had a bit more time to think about it, veeall's point was maybe that the possibility of paid apps might attract more professional developers, which in turn would attract more customers. While I am not sure this is the case - I think cause and effect are reversed in this scenario - I do agree that without professional developers who write Sailfish apps for money, the OS will forever remain "for hobbyists only". Your comment suggests that you are happy with it, but is Jolla? How long can they survive by selling to a bunch of hobbyists?

This is where the paid activation codes come in. I already mentioned Sygic who followed the same path on Maemo. Ergo, I do not believe that paid apps are a necessary prerequisite. So what is? Jolla cannot compete with Android on the number of potential customers, but neither could Maemo and yet it managed to attract at least some big guys. So what is it and how can Jolla get there?

Last edited by pichlo; 2015-01-04 at 20:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 207 | Thanked: 759 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Poland
Maybe someone more wants to share with me battery life of Jolla phone ?

Originally Posted by atlochowski View Post
It depends. I use it all the time and I charge daily. Out of the holiday period, when I go to work and do not play with it so much, I charge every other day. My wife, who got one for Christmas, put it away and picked it up 7 days later, still had 27% battery left.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by atlochowski View Post
Its OK for cheap rock like this. Not too good, nor too bad. charge once a day and a bit more during sleep with pretty average usage.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
[QUOTE=pichlo;1455139]Quite right. In fact, the lack of the SIM toolkit support was a common complaint against the N900. You can't please everyone [/QUOTE

I am not against the support for these kind of programs but rather against not prompting the user to choose to allow or ignore this kind of uninvited installation.

No need for Jolla to install SIM toolkits (or other app, what's in a name..) each time I buy a local 3G SIM to be able to surf with the Jolla while abroad.

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience