Posts: 143 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Houston
Hi,
I'm trying to install Easy Debian but HAM complains that a package is missing: libxmu6 (>=1.0.4-1). This happen with and without extras-devel enabled. apt-get also reports that this package has no instalation candidate.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

EDIT: ok, I searched the thread and saw that I could install libxmu6 "by hand". But this is weird. apt really reports that that lib is unavailable.

Last edited by tpaixao; 2011-01-16 at 23:28.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
According to maemo.org packages, libxmu6 should be in two of the official Nokia repositories, not in Extras or Extras-devel. I honestly don't know why people are starting to have problems with it. Have you upgraded to PR 1.3?

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Houston
Originally Posted by qole View Post
According to maemo.org packages, libxmu6 should be in two of the official Nokia repositories, not in Extras or Extras-devel. I honestly don't know why people are starting to have problems with it. Have you upgraded to PR 1.3?
yes, I have PR1.3. It is weird that I can't find it...

Hi qole,

Easy debian is an astounding piece of work and is the reason I bought my n900 which arrived last week. Easy debian worked straight off the bat.

However I come to you with a problem but also a solution to the problem.

The fonts in easy debian suck! I've never worn glasses but felt that if I used easy debian with those fonts for any length of time, I soon would be.

I noticed that the fonts in the "beta" theme were the ones we needed, but on closer inspection it seems the "beta" theme is actually the digital nature theme of maemo and so is obviously missing things like scrollbars etc. so could never be used itself.

To cut a long story short, I've managed to combine the fonts of "beta" with the rest of the m/nightorange theme which has nice large scrollbars and tweaked the colours a bit as well.

Now I can use easy debian with nice lush maemo fonts which cause no eyestrain and make it the pleasure to use that it should be.

I'll post the instructions and theme here tomorrow, I'm posting from a PC now but will post from my n900 tomorrow to make it easier to attach files etc.

EDIT: see the post directly below this on how to install the theme and get those nice fonts.

Last edited by leetnoob; 2011-01-24 at 02:46. Reason: update

The Following User Says Thank You to leetnoob For This Useful Post:
Here's how to install that theme:

launch the easy debian root shell icon so you have root access in the debian environment terminal (dont launch the full easy debian installation). It's the easy debian icon with the curvy swirl.

confirm you have easy debian root access by typing the command

id

and making sure you see the word "root" in the response.

copy the attached mnon900.tar file into your normal maemo n900 MyDocs folder using the maemo file manager/whatever.

in the debian terminal window type the commands:

cd /usr/share/themes
tar -xvf /home/user/MyDocs/mnon900.tar

and that's it. the theme should now be installed.

type

exit

to leave the root environment.

You can now select the new "mnon900" theme from the debian theme manager when youre in the easy debian environment.
Attached Files
File Type: tar mnon900.tar (40.0 KB, 121 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leetnoob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Does someone here have decent skills in object orientated C programming?

I had a look at the source code of lxpanel, specifically the code for the battery monitor. I know where the problem is and I think I know how to fix it - theoretically. But it's veeery long ago that I coded in C and object orientation isn't my field of expertise at all. So doing it on my own is far beyond my skills.

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by leetnoob View Post
Now I can use easy debian with nice lush maemo fonts which cause no eyestrain and make it the pleasure to use that it should be.
Sounds promising. Would love to see screenshots

The Following User Says Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rebhana View Post
Sounds promising. Would love to see screenshots
Eh? I've uploaded the theme as an attachment with instructions 2 posts above your post, maybe you missed it. No need for screenshots. It's not "promising" , it's done.

Thanks leetnoob,

Here is a screenshot.
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bousch For This Useful Post:
Hi everybody,
I had easy debian and it worked perfectly until I was trying to install a package from synaptic and my phone restarted. Since then I cannot run either the package manager or the desktop (freezes on the mouse + ctrl+backward background). I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling with no luck, even a backup restore. I figure I broke something in the file system, is there a magic command to clean my broken debian?? Thanks for your helping

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze