Active Topics

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/20/g...ubbed-pandora/

Linux based gaming portable, 4.3" 800x480 screen, dpad, 2 analog joysticks, qwerty keyboard, 2 SDHC slots, USB host and USB OTG, Wifi (b and g), TV-out.

Last edited by johnkzin; 2007-12-21 at 03:53.

It's definitely in the same ballpark. Moreso than most everything else that gets lumped in this forum.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
I have already started a trust fund for a Pandora.

Me wantee.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Will it fit in a shirt pocket?
PLEASE use the Wiki

The Following User Says Thank You to gemniii42 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
Will it fit in a shirt pocket?
That depends. White shirts, I don't see a problem, but it will certainly stick out on a hawaiian shirt.

It should be clarified that the device has no official connection with the GP2X, Gamepark, or Gamepark Holdings.

It is being designed and manufactured by two of the biggest distributors of the GP2X and is considered the "spiritual successor" to that line of products. But, otherwise, it's a completely independent operation.

It will be bad-***. The 2x developer community appears to be fully behind it, and I will have one ASAP. I really like the design. There was much, much community discussion over what type of controls to include and how. The renderings look great, IMO.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
LordFu,

I wonder what sorts of non-game software it will have... anything lined up?

productivity stuff?
PIM stuff?
connectivity stuff (ssh, vnc, etc.)?
communications stuff (instant messengers)?

I think it might have been cool to see it done as a trifold (so that the keyboard isn't so close to the game controls, looks like you could accidentally type keys while playing with the analog sticks)... or as a twist screen (to use it as a tablet). But it does look like a nice design as it is.

Originally Posted by LordFu View Post
It should be clarified that the device has no official connection with the GP2X, Gamepark, or Gamepark Holdings.

It is being designed and manufactured by two of the biggest distributors of the GP2X and is considered the "spiritual successor" to that line of products. But, otherwise, it's a completely independent operation.

It will be bad-***. The 2x developer community appears to be fully behind it, and I will have one ASAP. I really like the design. There was much, much community discussion over what type of controls to include and how. The renderings look great, IMO.
Personally, I'd preferred it without the keyboard (but with something like Cellwriter), but in view of the other goodies, I can live with it.

PS1 fullspeed emulation, N64 possible, Xwindows, two analog joypads, twin SDHC slots: All yummy. And if they can keep the price of EUR 268... oh boy.

Also, a lot better as a media player than the Itablet.

Edit: I wonder what the "L" and "R" things are in this picture? Does the Pandora come with built-in earphones? That would be really nice...

Last edited by Karel Jansens; 2007-12-21 at 17:14.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
It is also purported to have a touch screen and a mic for speech input.

In addition, it boasts a very active development community, and because it's linux and Open Source, should be capable of everything the ITs are.

This device, in function, looks to improve over the Nxxx series of tablet:
1) 100% (or very close, it seems) Open Source
2) Extremely active community
3) Plenty o' storage (2 SDs)
4) Game input as well as keyboard and touchscreen (missing tab/ctrl is troubling)
5) Speed (considering that current GP2X can emulate PSX games in software, this thing should be able to handle most tasks, including 3D desktop -- if one were so bold)

Of course, the current tablet has some features not found on this device:
1) Bluetooth (IMO a pretty significant feature)
2) Camera (not a big deal to me, as the web cam seems scarcely used)
3) Size (the pandora is 27mm thick! Quite a great deal thicker than the N810)
4) The N8xx has a 'z' key :P
5) The current tablet is real, and this Pandora device seems somewhat fake (renders only, and mass speculation from the community; though I've yet to read the posts)

This device has the Nxxx mostly beat in function. Time will tell if its really coming to market. If the reports are accurate, I'd buy one of these over an IT.

}:^j~
YARR!!

Capt'n Corrupt

Those are shoulder buttons for games that require them (PS1, etc.).

I think the keyboard is redundant, with the touchscreen and USB host, but with Amiga, Commadore (sp?), and some other commonly emulated systems it's a highly requested feature.

They're still finalizing the design, so if anyone has any suggestions, hop on over to gp32x.com.

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
It is also purported to have a touch screen and a mic for speech input.

In addition, it boasts a very active development community, and because it's linux and Open Source, should be capable of everything the ITs are.

This device, in function, looks to improve over the Nxxx series of tablet:
1) 100% (or very close, it seems) Open Source
2) Extremely active community
3) Plenty o' storage (2 SDs)
4) Game input as well as keyboard and touchscreen (missing tab/ctrl is troubling)
5) Speed (considering that current GP2X can emulate PSX games in software, this thing should be able to handle most tasks, including 3D desktop -- if one were so bold)

Of course, the current tablet has some features not found on this device:
1) Bluetooth (IMO a pretty significant feature)
2) Camera (not a big deal to me, as the web cam seems scarcely used)
3) Size (the pandora is 27mm thick! Quite a great deal thicker than the N810)
4) The N8xx has a 'z' key :P
5) The current tablet is real, and this Pandora device seems somewhat fake (renders only, and mass speculation from the community; though I've yet to read the posts)

This device has the Nxxx mostly beat in function. Time will tell if its really coming to market. If the reports are accurate, I'd buy one of these over an IT.

}:^j~
YARR!!

Capt'n Corrupt
The device is coming, first part of next year. It's technically vaporware, at the moment, but as someone who's been active in that community, the development is real. I have every expectation that we will see production and commercial availability in the first half of '08.

Bluetooth will be available via a USB dongle, if so desired. I've never used it for anything, but I know some people feel it's important.

As for the keyboard layout, it could use some tweaking. Please, let them know what you think.

It's worth mentioning that the Pandora is going to be signifigantly more powerfull than the N8x0 series. It's using a newer design of similar hardware.

Last edited by LordFu; 2007-12-21 at 18:32.