linky

Eric Schmidt - "We would have loved if they had chosen Android. They chose the other guys,"

I personally would have preferred Android over M$.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flydeep For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Mhm... I chose Maemo because I wanted freedom. Free software, yes, but also the freedom *not* to give away my personal data.

The more I think of it, the more I believe that the freedom to keep data to myself, not having to sign up to some cloud service or having to use a certain account, is even more important than the fact that some version of the OS on my phone is open source at some stage in development.

Given a choice between Windows Phone and Android, I'd stay away from phones altogether. If I had to use one, I'd use Microsoft. Never trust Google. Never ever.

The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
The guy with most collected data when he dies wins! (I'm pretty sure the winner working at google)

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Elop says Microsoft paid more than Google linky

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
i think that was better for users. To big blocks. Like the cold war. I just assume apple will lose its position over the next ten years.)

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Mhm... I chose Maemo because I wanted freedom. Free software, yes, but also the freedom *not* to give away my personal data.

The more I think of it, the more I believe that the freedom to keep data to myself, not having to sign up to some cloud service or having to use a certain account, is even more important than the fact that some version of the OS on my phone is open source at some stage in development.

Given a choice between Windows Phone and Android, I'd stay away from phones altogether. If I had to use one, I'd use Microsoft. Never trust Google. Never ever.
Google / Everyone can have all the "personal" data I have on the google account I'm using with my Android phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by flydeep View Post
linky

Eric Schmidt - "We would have loved if they had chosen Android. They chose the other guys,"

I personally would have preferred Android over M$.
The Linux kernel is bloatware. Symbian was (still is) lean and mean, but probably too much so?. WP is modern, and not that much unlike Symbian. If Symbian was to be modernized from the ground up, it would be very similar to WP.

Android is for kids, iOS is for girls, RIM is for old farts, and WP is for the rest of us. Symbian is too cool for this world, and MeeGo is just too MeeGo.

I'm actually looking forward to a Nokia with WP. But if the MeeGo device coming got a HW keyboard, and the next 1GHz+ Symbian got a HW keyboard, I really don't know what to do.

I wonder what happened to U8500 twin core A9? It should be here soon, but with all this going on, maybe not.

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
The Linux kernel is bloatware
I stopped right there. Utter rubbish

The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to jflatt For This Useful Post:
Of course Nokia's supreme strategists rejected Google.

They've spent untold billions of euros on their maps and services plan (see the Risku manifesto for background on some amazing screwups) but have failed to monetize those plans so everything else must go.

Usability? Total control of the UI? Gone. Elop showed them the light; that MS surely can to those better . Just design a candybar as vehicle for the MS OS and maybe MS will use (resell) those precccious unused Nokia services (before replacing them with their own as per their proven modus operandi).

That'll prove Nokia's deadwood management and board right!

That is why they refused to keep trying to build actual devices that sell on the basis of being, you know... desirable. That's so old-fashioned. And non-exclusively putting on those desirable devices an OS + services package that customers might want.

MeeGo + goodies. Symbian + goodies. Android + goodies. Even the undesirable MS winpho + goodies.

Camera as nokwinpho's great differentiating feature??? Huh? Where do they actually build all the cutting edge digital photography gear (sensors etc.) if not at the same conglomerates Nokia is hoping to beat with their undesirable MSwinpho + nokia camera?

Wrt. Android. Why don't the major OEMs gang up together, establish their own shared app store and even fork Android? It's open-source and the concept has been proven by now... If they could tack on their own patchwork of apps and services...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peet For This Useful Post:
IF they really got billions from M$, so they at least they werent bought for free.

Tags
buysomethinelse, either way, nokia fails, wp7 rulez