Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Now even the finish(Nokias homecountry as we now) newspapers rumors about WP7 WHAT THE HELL

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dublin
I played around with the HTC 7 Pro over the weekend.. and.. i must admit, i was pretty impressed by WP7.. it's functional.. snappy and looks the part. It wouldn't be the end of the world if Nokia did go down that route.

What would change the industry forever would be Nokia announcing partnerships with Microsoft and Android..

Think about it.. you purchase your shiny new N9 (or whatever the next flagship device is) and switch it on plugged in to your PC.

A window pops up asking you which operating system you want to use.. WP7, Android or MeeGo

And that simple little request changes everything.

All Nokia have to keep doing is releasing great handsets,, and the user gets to choose how they want to experience the phone.

Every other manufacturer would be scrambling to follow suit.

Last edited by Faustino; 2011-02-08 at 02:24.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Faustino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Originally Posted by Faustino View Post
I played around with the HTC 7 Pro over the weekend.. and.. i must admit, i was pretty impressed by WP7.. it's functional.. snappy and looks the part. It wouldn't be the end of the world if Nokia did go down that route.

What would change the industry forever would be Nokia announcing partnerships with Microsoft and Android..

Think about it.. you purchase your shiny new N9 (or whatever the next flagship device is) and switch it on plugged in to your PC.

A window pops up asking you which operating system you want to use.. WP7, Android or MeeGo

And that simple little request changes everything.

All Nokia have to keep doing is releasing great handsets,, and the user gets to choose how they want to experience the phone.

Everything other manufacturer would be scrambling to follow suit.
isnt that a pleasant thought... noobs use wp7. semi noobs use android. badasses use meego. it will become a culture... no longer do people ask each others' sports team or political preferences, they ask what os use on their nokia. nice.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAABoy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dublin
Originally Posted by SAABoy View Post
isnt that a pleasant thought... noobs use wp7. semi noobs use android. badasses use meego. it will become a culture... no longer do people ask each others' sports team or political preferences, they ask what os use on their nokia. nice.
Of course.. Nokia could never be that forward thinking, right?

What I really like about the idea is, like everyone in the world.. whether it's a tv, games console.. phone.. whatever.. we tend to get bored with things..

If i was bored with MeeGo.. or.. if it simply wasn't what it was supposed to be.. just plug your phone back in and reinstall another OS.. it would be like having a new phone.

And then if that didn't work out.. you'd have all your data from the old OS backed up if you wanted to go back to it.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
I would say this is even more interesting.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02...finnistration/

Moving the company out of Finland.

Anti-Nokia Ambassador

I wonder if any Nokia employee wants to leak a copy of this to us?

"In a memo to staff he says neither Meego nor Symbian are competitive enough. Elop is also said to believe the company has become too remote from key markets."

Perhaps the suggestion yesterday in one of the articles about Elop starting with any empty Board room at Friday's meeting was correct, if Nokia are moving to US. However why hold the meeting in London, and not the US, if that is the case?

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hamburg
Operators pin hopes on Nokia
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/63dab14e-3...#axzz1DMXEls00

However, the executive said Nokia risked undermining confidence in MeeGo if it tried using the platform in tandem with one of the operating systems developed by Microsoft or Google.

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
One needs to examine what an eco system is before we decide if Elop is on or off target. One thing is for sure its NOT the operating system. Deal with an eco system partner will likley include horse trading in the following areas (with my personal thoughts)

-Dev Platform : Qt Quick with its cross platform capability v strong
-Music : CMW coverage reduced, Ovi music looking good, but could trade with Amazon or Zune?
-Videos : Nokia just bought Voggler
-Maps : Navteq is on a roll here
-Social : Need to do a deal with Facebook, who dislike Google
-mail/Chat : Facebook or MS$ could be good options, Yahoo relationship will be parked.
-Share : OVI just shut this down, so in need of a deal
-Contacs/Calendar/PIM : MS$ Deal?
-Office : Deal Already done with MS$
-Apps : OVI making strong headway, and is ahead of Android in languages, and reach. Apps growing nicely so no need to change course, other than to push harder on Qt.
-Operators : Need to sort out US. Where is the Qualcomm deal done 12 months ago?
-Retail : Amazon for content?

Have I forgotten something ?
YES!
What about Gaming? Gaming is a major drive for most customers in choosing one platform over the other.

I have said this before in this same thread but will say it again!
Microsoft doesn't have too many handsets running their OS (WP7) in the market now. Sony is already coming up with their NGP device. Apple is gaining momentum rapidly in the gaming arena. Microsoft needs to do something here. Microsoft is not worried about the hardware numbers but only cares about the total number of services they are able to sell. WP7 is just an easier way for them to sell their services.

So, Microsoft can strike a deal with Nokia for their gaming platform (i.e., XBOX) to be introduced on Nokia devices. Win-Win for both and it would be a big news too!!

Also, what about making Bing as the default search engine for all Nokia devices?

Basically what I am saying is, if these two companies are "working closely", then that necessarily doesn't mean WP7 on Nokia devices. There are lot of other things than an OS now!
Search, Gaming, Music, Mail, Videos and many more!!

Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
YES!
What about Gaming? Gaming is a major drive for most customers in choosing one platform over the other.

I have said this before in this same thread but will say it again!
Microsoft doesn't have too many handsets running their OS (WP7) in the market now. Sony is already coming up with their NGP device. Apple is gaining momentum rapidly in the gaming arena. Microsoft needs to do something here. Microsoft is not worried about the hardware numbers but only cares about the total number of services they are able to sell. WP7 is just an easier way for them to sell their services.

So, Microsoft can strike a deal with Nokia for their gaming platform (i.e., XBOX) to be introduced on Nokia devices. Win-Win for both and it would be a big news too!!

Also, what about making Bing as the default search engine for all Nokia devices?

Basically what I am saying is, if these two companies are "working closely", then that necessarily doesn't mean WP7 on Nokia devices. There are lot of other things than an OS now!
Search, Gaming, Music, Mail, Videos and many more!!

Problem here is that I assume this would have be MeeGo rather than symbian based but how long is it going to get a MeeGo/Xbox phone to the market, assuming it is not in development at present, it would probably be far quicker to get a Nokia WP7/Xbox phone on sale?

Anyway given the comments about Nokia moving to the US I wonder if worrying about WP7 as a future OS is now the least of the issues?

Last edited by droitwichgas; 2011-02-08 at 12:49.

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hamburg
I don't think, MS will ever offer their (consumer-aimed) software on linux.

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org