Posts: 168 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Madrid
Originally Posted by zifis View Post
No, don't do that! Ask him to google something as he listens to some music, download an mp3 and send it to you via bluetooth
epic win and epic fail for him xD

The Following User Says Thank You to kralde For This Useful Post:
Posts: 168 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Madrid
Originally Posted by razzvi18 View Post
yes or something even simpler, if he has an older iPhone, not the iPhone 4 , ask him to change the wallpaper ))
he is an apple fan boy. he have the iphone 4, but of course after the 2G, 3G and 3Gs. the funniest thing is that i had an iphone 4 about 4 months ago. I sold it xD

The Following User Says Thank You to kralde For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@xxxts: when your friends asked you where to buy the n900, did they actually buy n900?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Get him to download a zipped album, unzip it and listen to it without connecting his iPhone to his computer...

The Following User Says Thank You to Tedri Mark For This Useful Post:
I don't know ONE application that I am really missing on the n900.
Yes, I'm missing some features.
But features can be added in a debian-like system like maemo.

Features can't be added on a closed application on android, iOS or Windows Mobile.
(...And if you want a useful application you have to pay!!!)

Linux has a big tradition. The applications are adapted to the needs of the users. Debian works on hundreds of different hardware systems. It works the same on a big mainframe like on the little n900. Imagine!!!
The programs are adapted at the most different uses.
The program on the n900 and the linux PC is THE SAME (not only similar!). (We don't speak about the optification.)
You can take the output of the n900 application and continue on the same document on the linux pc. And even if the application on n900 has an upgrade the same application on the linux pc has the same upgrade.
The old linux programs are venerable utilities that have be proven by tradition.

Android, iOS and Windows Mobile are only for mobile devices. If you want a usage that is a little bit different from the intended one you are completely lost. Those applications are idiots only for one usage.

Linux applications are universal. They work on every hardware you compile it. They have been tested on hundreds of hardwares. They are useful in different circumstances, with different configurations for different purposes.

The Linux on the n900 is identical with the linux on a big PC.

That's a very big difference to all other OS'es that are only for mobile devices!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerdich For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
I also have Nokia C6-01, and the Ovi Store has so many apps. But compared to the apps I have and use on my N900, those Ovi store (for Symbian) apps feels like junk. I think I only downloaded less than 10 apps, compared to over 60 wonderful apps on my N900. That's just my personal feeling.

Of course the C6-01 beats the N900 in Ovi maps with voice navigation and 3G video call. But I still have my fingers crossed someone will come up with those for Maemo N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph.skb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
I feel as one that hates this turgid lump of black plastic and metal I should put some alternative views into play here. Far too many fanbois talking this thing up.

I like the community, lets be honest anyone that spends their spare time trying to do something for this is great in my book. So lets make that clear, without it I would have an even less working turgid lump of crap. I like the people that have bothered to put the effort in.

First the apps you all so greatly claim, well firstly they are not apps. An app is a 'download and it works'. So many of those on your list are download but only if you accurately put it into some place on the root, (wargus still doesn't work for me) with certain permissions that you don't have by default and then you need to get a ROM (for emulators) from a website that you don't know about because there isn't a forum on it, and then you need a CD for a game that you extract on a windows PC and then copy the file across (duke nukem, quake) BUT only into one location that you can't get access to yet, then you reboot and then put in a .sh until it works. If and a big IF they do work they crash, all the time. (Open Dune) That isn't an App, it just isn't. A crashing program is a crashing program.

The apps that are just plug and play usually work to a certain level, and then don't work as intended, mainly because of conflicts or updates but also reading the forums because of unknown reasons. Wargus is a good example of people unable to do something because so many versions are in the repositories or something conflicts. The N900 is the same for everyone so why can't that just work? fMMS should just work. But doesn't. I can never get it working even with talking to frals, I can never get one MMS, I usually get none or 5 of the same one, each time connecting and failing to download. The same is said of many apps which rarely if ever make it from testing and devel', custom ring tones is another that I can't use, it adds 15 seconds to each phone call before I get a ring tone. So again you can't count these apps as apps, because they haven't been tested and marked as finished when so many can't get them to work. Autodisconnect fails every third try to stop a working network. It will kill my VNC when I AM using it, but won't kill my 'web and walk' when I am not using it, costing me money. It makes no sense and therefore can't be relied on. Nothing against the developer, but they don't have time to complete it? Or the N900 is so different between users that it won't work as it should.

The basic phone was poorly supported. It came in a box with a face camera that had no software that used it. Never in the history of ever have I known a product that came with hardware that wasn't supported in some way. And Nokia have continued in that "we don't care" attitude.

I need 6 apps to do basic functions, like tell me how much battery I have, to give me a decent notification that someone texted me, that someone called me, things that every other phone does as standard.

Nokia supported apps from the app store are very thin on the ground, And cost much more than like for like with apple or android. OVI suite doesn't support the phone. Making sync' very difficult. Took me three days to sync my calendar, with no help from the forums about it saying my outlook had moved btween clicking next on the wizard. Nokia PC suite is even worse.

OVI maps are dire, the UI is appalling and the only time I needed them I spent 25 minutes and half my battery to be told it couldn't find streets in London. Every other nokia phone has it working and with voice navigation, not this one, though a possible work around exists (see comments above about not being easy to implement, not working for some)

Day to day. Well to date no one can explain why my phone decides half way through playing a movie if I press pause, it then decides when I press playback, it will stop playing the movie and report the "codec is unsupported." This was out the box and so far reflashing and spending my time reformatting haven't cured it.

I can't play MP3's from the SD card because index trackers chews up the CPU if I do. This is common, conky is great at telling me that 89% of CPU is index tracking when all I do is press play MP3.

I can't browse the web as it is sooooo slow. Five minutes to load a web page over 2G and 3G isn't much better. Firefox is faster but microb is awful but does flash, which I do need. yet people here think it is great, that I do not understand.

I need two file explorers to do one job. One won't allow you to double click to launch, the other won't allow you to create new folders, so copying is very awkward. I end up plugging into my works PC and just doing it on there.

Photos defaults to ALL pictures, I have 6000 images on my phone because of work and installed apps (warcraft installed dozens), I want to default to camera folder, it won't let me. So if I click photos I am waiting three minutes while it compiles the list.

Still don't have a working word editor. I posted elsewhere that freeoffice leaves every other page with white letters and blank pages and abiword crashes every time.

I need apps to make it work to a basic level, none of the features I bought it for exist and the many things I can download need such a massive amount of work to do anything properly it becomes a hassle, you can't consider this phone as good as something like iphone when I need a windows PC, a CD, jail break security and an hour with two web pages just to install a game.

That is why hate it, but I am stuck with it because I am not rich, I am tied into a contract for some months till I can throw this thing at the nearest brick wall and get a proper phone. Great if people like it and want to hack it but to me it is a load of beta and half developed apps the community work on now and then, attached to a poorly built and no longer officially supported PC with phone attached.

Everyone I know (I work in IT for the NHS) laughs at how crap this phone is, how appalling it is at everything I ask it to do. I am the walking advert not to buy Nokia and I have even managed to get work to change the 'On call phone' from Nokia contract handsets to HTC, it and Nokia's support for it, is that much of a put off to senior management.

That is my tuppence on the OP. No doubt I will be outweighed by fanbois saying their's works etc etc. Well my doesn't.

Anti-Nokia Ambassador

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to twigleaf1976 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 729 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Athens, Greece
True story:

I was hanging out with friends at a cafe when someone asked what the song playing in the cafe was. My friend started shazam on his iphone 3Gs giving me a grin. A few seconds later he was trying to find a 3G signal as his wifi did not show the cafe's spot (don't know why) to get an ID on the song.

At the same time I connected to the cafe's free wifi, run instinctiv, found that it was monster magnet's "powertrip", downloaded the whole album with transmission at 750kb/s and tagged it with muss0rgsky.

I turned to my friend and asked "any luck yet"? He said "no there is no damn 3G signal in here nor a wifi spot".

And I said "well here's the song, the album cover etc. too bad I can't send it to you" and to his desperate disappointment I pointed my N900 screen at him and deleted the files...

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to zifis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by twigleaf1976 View Post
I feel as one that hates this turgid lump of black plastic and metal I should put some alternative views into play here. Far too many fanbois talking this thing up.

I like the community, lets be honest anyone that spends their spare time trying to do something for this is great in my book. So lets make that clear, without it I would have an even less working turgid lump of crap. I like the people that have bothered to put the effort in.

First the apps you all so greatly claim, well firstly they are not apps. An app is a 'download and it works'. So many of those on your list are download but only if you accurately put it into some place on the root, (wargus still doesn't work for me) with certain permissions that you don't have by default and then you need to get a ROM (for emulators) from a website that you don't know about because there isn't a forum on it, and then you need a CD for a game that you extract on a windows PC and then copy the file across (duke nukem, quake) BUT only into one location that you can't get access to yet, then you reboot and then put in a .sh until it works. If and a big IF they do work they crash, all the time. (Open Dune) That isn't an App, it just isn't. A crashing program is a crashing program.

The apps that are just plug and play usually work to a certain level, and then don't work as intended, mainly because of conflicts or updates but also reading the forums because of unknown reasons. Wargus is a good example of people unable to do something because so many versions are in the repositories or something conflicts. The N900 is the same for everyone so why can't that just work? fMMS should just work. But doesn't. I can never get it working even with talking to frals, I can never get one MMS, I usually get none or 5 of the same one, each time connecting and failing to download. The same is said of many apps which rarely if ever make it from testing and devel', custom ring tones is another that I can't use, it adds 15 seconds to each phone call before I get a ring tone. So again you can't count these apps as apps, because they haven't been tested and marked as finished when so many can't get them to work. Autodisconnect fails every third try to stop a working network. It will kill my VNC when I AM using it, but won't kill my 'web and walk' when I am not using it, costing me money. It makes no sense and therefore can't be relied on. Nothing against the developer, but they don't have time to complete it? Or the N900 is so different between users that it won't work as it should.

The basic phone was poorly supported. It came in a box with a face camera that had no software that used it. Never in the history of ever have I known a product that came with hardware that wasn't supported in some way. And Nokia have continued in that "we don't care" attitude.

I need 6 apps to do basic functions, like tell me how much battery I have, to give me a decent notification that someone texted me, that someone called me, things that every other phone does as standard.

Nokia supported apps from the app store are very thin on the ground, And cost much more than like for like with apple or android. OVI suite doesn't support the phone. Making sync' very difficult. Took me three days to sync my calendar, with no help from the forums about it saying my outlook had moved btween clicking next on the wizard. Nokia PC suite is even worse.

OVI maps are dire, the UI is appalling and the only time I needed them I spent 25 minutes and half my battery to be told it couldn't find streets in London. Every other nokia phone has it working and with voice navigation, not this one, though a possible work around exists (see comments above about not being easy to implement, not working for some)

Day to day. Well to date no one can explain why my phone decides half way through playing a movie if I press pause, it then decides when I press playback, it will stop playing the movie and report the "codec is unsupported." This was out the box and so far reflashing and spending my time reformatting haven't cured it.

I can't play MP3's from the SD card because index trackers chews up the CPU if I do. This is common, conky is great at telling me that 89% of CPU is index tracking when all I do is press play MP3.

I can't browse the web as it is sooooo slow. Five minutes to load a web page over 2G and 3G isn't much better. Firefox is faster but microb is awful but does flash, which I do need. yet people here think it is great, that I do not understand.

I need two file explorers to do one job. One won't allow you to double click to launch, the other won't allow you to create new folders, so copying is very awkward. I end up plugging into my works PC and just doing it on there.

Photos defaults to ALL pictures, I have 6000 images on my phone because of work and installed apps (warcraft installed dozens), I want to default to camera folder, it won't let me. So if I click photos I am waiting three minutes while it compiles the list.

Still don't have a working word editor. I posted elsewhere that freeoffice leaves every other page with white letters and blank pages and abiword crashes every time.

I need apps to make it work to a basic level, none of the features I bought it for exist and the many things I can download need such a massive amount of work to do anything properly it becomes a hassle, you can't consider this phone as good as something like iphone when I need a windows PC, a CD, jail break security and an hour with two web pages just to install a game.

That is why hate it, but I am stuck with it because I am not rich, I am tied into a contract for some months till I can throw this thing at the nearest brick wall and get a proper phone. Great if people like it and want to hack it but to me it is a load of beta and half developed apps the community work on now and then, attached to a poorly built and no longer officially supported PC with phone attached.

Everyone I know (I work in IT for the NHS) laughs at how crap this phone is, how appalling it is at everything I ask it to do. I am the walking advert not to buy Nokia and I have even managed to get work to change the 'On call phone' from Nokia contract handsets to HTC, it and Nokia's support for it, is that much of a put off to senior management.

That is my tuppence on the OP. No doubt I will be outweighed by fanbois saying their's works etc etc. Well my doesn't.
A lot of the stuff you listed there you can't do full stop on the iPhone, and I think that's pretty much it -

If something takes a bit of work to get working, or there's a chance it can be installed or configured incorrectly, most other phone OSes will simply not allow you to do it.

Depending on whether or not you are technically minded or not, this can either be a good or a bad thing..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tedri Mark For This Useful Post:
@Joseph.skb
I don't use video calling.
But did you try this?
http://www.skype.com/intl/en/get-sky...in/nokia-n900/

Is this a fake?
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phone...onths-ago/5197

Does this not work with pr1.3?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerdich For This Useful Post:

Tags
blah blah blah, blah the end, criticismhearit, flamebait, popcorn time, quit happens, still blah blah, stop it, trollfest