Dorian (the ebook reader) is now available in the application manager - it's qt5 based. Enjoy and please leave feedback.

Known problems:

* Kinetic scrolling doesn't scroll past chapters (use fullscreen -> right arrow to work around this for now)
* Random dialog(s) in library view and search book view pop up once.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Wizzup_ For This Useful Post:
The following NEW packages will be installed:
dorian qt-platform-maemo

qt-platform-maemo is more than a small thing!

Congrats Wizzup_!

The kinetic scrolling works great. You did this?

Dorian seems to be opening ":/books/2BR02B.epub" but i can't locate that file.

UI: Clicking icons at bottom at random got me a book adding menu. This begins an 'auto scan' which never finishes on my huge filesystem before I kill the window.
I hate auto-scanning media management. But i understand other people expect that. But could you disable that?

The fullscreen mode with right and left clicking per page is GREAT! Default text size is great.
  • First-run would be most sensible to present a dialog asking user for the 'books' directory (which it can then scan and add to sqlite database). No auto-scan entire filesystem by default.
  • Some obvious way to exit fullscreen mode would help a lot.
  • Ctrl-Backspace works ✓ which lets me get out and kill application.

✓ Great addition to Maemo-Leste.

Last edited by clort; 2020-08-24 at 07:02.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to clort For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
Originally Posted by clort View Post
UI: Clicking icons at bottom at random got me a book adding menu. This begins an 'auto scan' which never finishes on my huge filesystem before I kill the window.
I hate auto-scanning media management. But i understand other people expect that. But could you disable that?
There is no auto-scan. Dorian port is WIP. In Fremantle, adding a new book does not create a 'visible' new window as is currently the case in Leste. In short, you can safely close that extra window. It is supposed to be a modal dialog.

First-run would be most sensible to present a dialog asking user for the 'books' directory (which it can then scan and add to sqlite database). No auto-scan entire filesystem by default.
See above comment

Ctrl-Backspace works ✓ which lets me get out and kill application.

This has always been there. It's a Hildon feature and you can use it regardless of specific applications being open

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Has anyone tried the Dooble browser with Leste?

I started to empty these N900s I bought, getting rid off personal data and copying to sdcard music and stuff before taking the motherboard out to be sent for usb socket fix. A bit slow job to do. Hoping to get at least some ready for new users when Leste has phone calls working.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

Last edited by Maemish; 2020-08-26 at 06:55.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
The following NEW packages will be installed:
dorian qt-platform-maemo

qt-platform-maemo is more than a small thing!

Congrats Wizzup_!

The kinetic scrolling works great. You did this?

Dorian seems to be opening ":/books/2BR02B.epub" but i can't locate that file.
The kinetic scrolling is part of Qt5, but I had to make the reader use the right widgets, and disable compositing in fullscreen mode.

The book should open, but I have seen the error about not being able to open it in a specific occasion: I ran the program as root, and then as user, later on. Then they share the same tmp space and the user cannot extract the book as it does not have the permissions to extract to the tmp space, as it is owned by root. A reboot will fix this.

The fullscreen mode with right and left clicking per page is GREAT! Default text size is great.
How do you right click?

• First-run would be most sensible to present a dialog asking user for the 'books' directory (which it can then scan and add to sqlite database). No auto-scan entire filesystem by default.
  • Some obvious way to exit fullscreen mode would help a lot.
  • Ctrl-Backspace works ✓ which lets me get out and kill application.

Most of the above is behaviour inherited from Fremantle. I've ported the application because I like it, but also because it's a good way to test our Qt5 port. The random dialogs are definitely a bug, still.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wizzup_ For This Useful Post:
Finally jumped in with Leste. Not so easy for me. Firstly could not boot with pc. I just could not understand the instructions. Then decided to install with device which was in stock settings. Well that wasn't easy for me either. What are the needed packages, then how to get them installed cause appmanager said no way and fapmanager did not wan't to co-operate either. Finally got packages installed and got to boot Leste (I had to first learn the dd cause never done).

Now been hassling with Leste many hours trying to install different browsers which all require github installation and installing all kind of dependencies etc. But first tried easily got browsers and Midori works but is slow. Then cutebrowser just went crazy and terminal was filled continuous error message when I tried to launch.

Then I wanted to get synaptic so that I can easily see what is needed for what. But synaptic wasn't easy to get. First had to install consolekit, then policykit-1, then synaptic, but then it didn't launch. Finally got it to launch but it asked password. Root password was not accepted and user password I did not know. Tried to change user password and it asked the current one. No go. After couple of hours trying I found a solution that worked (maybe stupid one but it worked). Create a new user, give a password, change user with su -i, log in, and then sudo synaptic and it let me in without (???) password.

Updated and searched and installed chromium and epiphany-browser and now typing with chromium in Leste. Chromium is faster than I expected, actually working really well. I think I will still install xtab and set that to aloud only one or two tabs and then edit the chrome flags. And to open and change settings is slooow, but to open webpages and scroll is fast.

I hope I will learn to do things the right way cause I think I got the system quite bloated in couple of hours while installing stuff to be able to install those other browser which I didn't in the end try, cause they need that much configuration and making and building which I don't understand. But chromium works and wifi works and now I can play with Leste. I'm in. I repeat, I'm in.

Last edited by Maemish; 2020-09-11 at 19:01.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Love your posts, man.

Following the twists and turns of your adventure with all those N900s with great interest.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ibero For This Useful Post:
Writing now with Leste Firefox-esr 68. Some things work better than with chromium but chromium loads and renders faster

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
I really want to test the whatsappweb because I almost got the calls working with easydebbie with chromium 57 with Fremantle. I believe it could work. Beter would be to get telegram with calls working. I tried streamtuner2 but it didn't boot. There was some conflicts with GdkPixbuf and there is on internet a config script I believe would sort this out (is found with streamtuner2 Gdk Pixbuf error) but cause I really don't understand these things I left it there. At the moment I just randomly install stuff through synaptic which seems to be things I would like would work and see if they will work. If the system breaks I just start from beginning and hope I will remember what noit to do. Chromium so far the best browser I have managed to get working. Chrome webstore just crashed so have not yet been able to install xtab and some other addons and have not yet played with flags.

I installed theme-tools but not sure how it works ior how to make themes. I would love to make a theme. The browser as default miss the upper left corner buttons cause Hildon bar is on top of them. I thought could the bar be hidden and activated with some key combination.

Also thought of trying some other desktops how hey would work but not sure how to install them without all the metapackages there comes with them. Would like to try KDE plasma and also i3 window manager. I don't remember was there a good filemanager for Leste.

And the appmanager won't show stuff installed with synaptic so synaptic is now the best way to see whats in and the dependencies - for me atleast. Synaptic works fine except if you open the locations from top bar you won't see whats in and I didn't find a way to close the windows. I selected the locations by hunch without seeing and the opening windows then shows everything but the bottom of the window is unreachable.

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Telegram-desktop works nice after it starts the first time, which takes a while. I noticed a friend who never answers any calls was online and tried to call him with telegram just as a test. The connection was established right away and he answered and I managed to here his voice like a second before the call went numb - on my side. There had been just bit sounds on his end and he was so annoyed that called back a normal cellphone call, played fax machine sounds to me and hung up.

I read from some github thread that there was audio conf file to use and that it would be on next builds. That was 2018. So is the audio conf files adapted to the latest image? Would be nice to get the telegram calls work.

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:

Tags
leste, maemo 7