Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Can you do ray tracing on an iPhone?
http://www.khronos.org/news/permalin...s-2.0-shaders/
http://icorey.com/cg2/?p=29

Can you do on-device video editing, and/or format conversion (ala ffmpeg) on your android phone? No. Because they're not computers, they're phones.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phone...lable-too/1728

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Wait, are you saying this is good or that this is bad ? I had plenty of WTF moments reading posts by certain Intel MeeGos, but let's give credit to Intel where it's due. Intel is at least doing the right thing (with the notable exception of the ill-fated PowerVR/Poulsbo driver case) - they say, if we can provide open drivers for our hardware, we see no need for a 'special treatment' of companies who don't do that. With all their imperfections, they ARE fighting against closed drivers, and they should receive full kudos for that. As for providing Atom only images - they simply don't care about it (not a nice trait, but not a crime either). The moment someone at AMD or serious interests outside Intel actually comes to MeeGo and says - hey, I need it on some other hardware, such versions will pop-up in no-time. You don't see that now because Intel is at the forefront of MeeGo Core and AMD/others are sitting on the fence waiting to see what will come of it.
Intel is doing the "right" thing in terms of license, when looking at the "moral" side of it. They aren't doing anything wrong, and certainly will not get into any trouble. When looking from a distro point of view, they are not doing anything "wrong" either, but very little good also. The open source community will benefit very little from Meego, the only thing being the WM.

The point here is that there are no legal implications or licensing implications of any kind when using closed drivers that are made public by the vendors. None whatsoever. It is only a problem that exists in some open source nazis heads. Meego is not meant to be a distro in the normal sense, but is meant for OEM, and they will include closed drivers. Not only drivers, but lots of other closed things as well.

I didn't buy the N900 based on what I hoped it would some day do. I bought it based on what it said it was capable of already doing. And in case you haven't noticed, let me point out again that we've had two major and one minor software updates already, in under a year. How long has the Droid been out? How many updates has it seen?
Droid has been out since October 30, 2009, when it was released with Android 2.0 release patch 1, in December it had 2.0 release patch 2 (which I had to upgrade to), then in April, 2010, I was upgraded to 2.1 release patch 1 and this week we're getting Android 2.2 release patch 1. That's one initial release, with one sorta major patch release, and two major upgrades.

How many for the N900 so far? How's that support workin' for you again?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Ooooo...this is pretty neat. Do ya have this for the N900 yet?

http://angisoft.de/Angisoft/Angisoft.html

You need to stop trying to play these semantics games and talk to the actual issue of problems with support and failing to live to the PHONE as well as the SMART expectations of the N900, woody. It was sold as a phone, despite the computer-first marketing garbage. And the fact that something can have a SIM card slipped into it simply means it has the ability to talk GSM. You can stick a SIM into a GSM compatible modem on a desktop PC and it doesn't change the nature of the PC. Likewise, stick that SIM into a phone and it doesn't change the nature of that phone. Your argument about the nature of a device based on whether it has a radio in it for data (voice or pure data) really is irrelevant.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Neither are available as apps to the common user. These are "future possible product demos", not something you can get from your local app store/repository.

Again, not quite. They use Qik, which means most editing is done on Qiks servers on-line, not on the device. The only thing they allow you do to on the device is select the clip area you want to send to Qik (mainly for bandwidth constraints). You can not download an FLV to the local device, convert it to mpeg on the device, and then play/offload that file somewhere else. With the N900, you can do just that.

I was using those two things as examples, not as specific "you must be able to do ray tracing and local video editing to be a computer". My primary point was what the device was designed to do. Android (pre-3.0) and iPhone have OSes that were made with the sole intent of being a phone, which was then extended to include "smart" functionality like apps. Maemo was designed to run on a tablet computer, and until revision 5 didn't support telephony, GPRS, 3G or any type of SIM related hardware.

Calling an iPhone or Android a computer is like calling an XBox a PC. They have similar hardware, and if you really try you can force the XBox to behave like a PC, at the expense of having it NOT behave like an XBox. The XBox was never designed to run anything besides XBox games, the iPhone was never designed to be a computer.

Meamo was designed to be a computer. You can tack stuff on to it to make it do some very phone-like things, but it's wasn't designed to be a phone from the start. You can add a SIM reader/3G antenna to your PC home which allows it to get data and make voice calls, that doesn't make your PC a smartphone.

Deny it all you want, but it's the nature of how this device came into being. Maemo 1-4 was made for devices that had no SIM and no telephony capabilities. It was tacked on in version 5 to provide basic support. It was not re-written whole-sale to be a phone first and have other "smart" stuff going on second. By it's nature, it's a computer, not a phone. All one has to do it look at the model number and lineup to see this.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by bsving View Post
Intel is doing the "right" thing in terms of license, when looking at the "moral" side of it. They aren't doing anything wrong, and certainly will not get into any trouble. When looking from a distro point of view, they are not doing anything "wrong" either, but very little good also. The open source community will benefit very little from Meego, the only thing being the WM.
Huh ? What ? MeeGo has an upstream-first policy, implying that it does not want to maintain versions of it's own - it wants to contribute everything to the source projects - you just can't get more beneficial to the community (naturally, with the presumption that upstream-first is not just lip-service).

The point here is that there are no legal implications or licensing implications of any kind when using closed drivers that are made public by the vendors. None whatsoever. It is only a problem that exists in some open source nazis heads. Meego is not meant to be a distro in the normal sense, but is meant for OEM, and they will include closed drivers. Not only drivers, but lots of other closed things as well.
Sorry, but this is just rubbish. It is not OEM in the sense that the Intel drivers ARE there. If Nokia or anybody else decided to make an Intel based platform, there would be no evil blobs to be included, that would be your base. And as for nazis... let me put on the danramos hat - after the 770, N800 and N810 (and N900), there is just no way you can say binary blob drivers are okay. No. Sorry. You just can't. If someone gets to be called a nazi because he doesn't want to get stuck with one OS version because of the kernel and driver version/config, something is very, very wrong.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Droid has been out since October 30, 2009

That's one initial release, with one sorta major patch release, and two major upgrades.

How many for the N900 so far? How's that support workin' for you again?
So you're saying over the past 9 months you've had 3 releases (one minor and two major), the later of which is "due to release this week", and that's "good support", yes? Yet Nokia has, in that exact same time frame, provided 3 releases (one minor and two major), and this is in some way poor or (according to the OP) "no" support?

By my logic 3 releases in 9 months is either support or it's not. So which is it?

Deny it all you want, but it's the nature of how this device came into being. Maemo 1-4 was made for devices that had no SIM and no telephony capabilities. It was tacked on in version 5 to provide basic support. It was not re-written whole-sale to be a phone first and have other "smart" stuff going on second. By it's nature, it's a computer, not a phone. All one has to do it look at the model number and lineup to see this.
And deny I shall. The phone function is pure software, not device. Just like the raytracing is done in pure software (on the iPhone/iPad, not necessarily on a remote server--although maybe they DO allow clustering?). The idea of offloading the rendering to an external server isn't exactly too terribly un-PC-like. It IS called cloud computing or clustering and has been around long before the "smartphone" form factor.

Software is just software--you could write video editing for a device that was made to be a phone-first, just as you COULD write a good functional phone stack and software for a PC/computer-first device. A model number isn't going to help you differentiate that.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
let me put on the danramos hat
AY! Gimme that back!!!

Tags
nokiaisrelevant, noreally!