Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
It could also be that this its just a plan b device in case wp7 fails... One that's not meant to be released as long as there its a choice.
It fails, you can be sure about it!

Best Regards,
Chuck Norris

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 380 | Thanked: 459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Slovenia
Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
I remember the first time I heard about Harmattan and the N900 successor... I remember the good times planning and imagining what it would be... Now that thread has reached over 10 000 posts and I still don't have the N9 in my hands! :@

I'm done waiting around for rumours, lol, after I get bored with the N9, im going Android until Nokia releases (not announces) a new project.
Yeah, i remember it too. And i also remember myself being totally disappointed when nokia announced they will not be releasing n950 in public. Can't wait to buy a n9 but i know it'll never be the complete device for me because it lacks a hw keyboard. Anyway, i hope the rumours are true and there is something going on but even if it is, i think nokia has got me (us) in some kind of disappointment loop. It will happen. Has to happen.

The Following User Says Thank You to olympus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by olympus View Post
Yeah, i remember it too. And i also remember myself being totally disappointed when nokia announced they will not be releasing n950 in public. Can't wait to buy a n9 but i know it'll never be the complete device for me because it lacks a hw keyboard. Anyway, i hope the rumours are true and there is something going on but even if it is, i think nokia has got me (us) in some kind of disappointment loop. It will happen. Has to happen.
You will not be dissapointe Mr Elops says you will see alot of great Wp devices tomorrow at NokiaWorld

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 380 | Thanked: 459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Slovenia
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
You will not be dissapointe Mr Elops says you will see alot of great Wp devices tomorrow at NokiaWorld
Thanks, that's really comforting

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to olympus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
seriously nokia has ni plan b. I am very sorry say it but nokia is o much in bed with microsoft. its not possible change strategy. I mean alot of maemo/meegodevs also leaved the "succesor"ors is probadly some kind of midend device based on symbian if not wp

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Good luck finding "new Maemo/MeeGo" in Nokia.

Jussi Mäkinen (luovanto) is clearly stating in his twitter that his boss is head of mobile phones marketing, i.e. he is working on 'next billion' future phones which some have called "meltemi". https://twitter.com/#!/luovanto/stat...41398794838019

I'm loving dreaming myself but at least, be realistic if you want dreams to be realised.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abbra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
I know about Meltemi.Perhaps you should read the linked article. The link that I posted talks about Maemo/Harmattan based OS. Which Meltemi is not. Meltemi is a new linux based OS for low end (or so the rumors say).
I read the article, but you and they are missing the point. Why should some company reinvent the wheel from the beginning if they have already released 5 versions of such kind of system?

What else should Meltemi be if not a Harmattan, Fremantle, Diablo successor?

No mather if they call it "for low end", "for hi end", "for toasters with touchscreen" - Qt will be the development tool of choice, I'm sure they will stick to QML like Harmattan and now look: In the N9 is a 1GHz single core CPU.
There are already some S40 devices out there with a powerful CPU - not the same core but very similar.

Harmattan is currently very snappy, and will 1 GHz single core in 2 years resist in a hi-end or a lo-end device?

It's clearly the Harmattan successor. MeeGo is only a name as maemo was. Perhaps they will add support for a T9 keypad on top - but the core system will stay nearly the same.

If you ask me I would put this system in a device with state of the art hardware. But if you look at Nokia as it is in the moment you can buy this system soon in a 50€ plasic phone with 3,5" touchscreen, 5MP camera and 8GB storage.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Arie View Post
My friends inside Nokia are all Linux/Harmattan/Meego/Maemo related.....
And they will tell it YOU and risk their job if they know that you will go online ASAP to post it at t.m.o.?

Yes, my friend.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
I read the article, but you and they are missing the point. Why should some company reinvent the wheel from the beginning if they have already released 5 versions of such kind of system?

Perhaps you never worked in large corporations. The reality there is far from being "we are the one single entity", there are different flows, clouds, islands, even greater hunks of earth out there. Surprisingly, they all fight for the same bucket of gold and have their own pride and ideas how to achieve world domination -- their corporate world and, if luck permits, outer world's domination as well. In short, life is though and medieval there.

In Nokia Mobile Phones long time were a cash cow who brought the money and paid for investments in other areas. Symbian did pay a bill as well but to a lesser degree. Maemo/MeeGo did consume. Cash cows have their own culture, development and business. Those with bigger pockets also have considerable say in what to invest in future, especially when cash cows are past their best days. So when attempts to reinvent come from within the cash cow it gets better credibility than those of a pure investment only and haven't paid out yet.

Of course, force balancing makes it so that not one force is always prevailing but rather a spectre of winds blow at the same time. If mobile phones folks got to hold the keys of their future, they would definitely argue that their technical knowledge of past is very relevant how to reach out to the next billion, perhaps, spiced a bit here and there with other achievements. Jussi's reveal as design/product marketing for future phones tells me exactly that -- Swipe UI is considered a good heritage of MeeGo and worth to bring to the next billion. At the same time, if you look around on LinkedIn and various blogs/twitter, some of Maemo/MeeGo engineers indeed are travelling to Ulm or doing something related to the next billion. How definitive is that work in terms of the platform being "Harmattan successor"? I doubt it is so -- yes, experience is taken with an interest and maybe some attention is paid to but largely design decisions would come from Ulm/Beijing areas as reinforced in those frequent travels -- while Maemo/MeeGo never been there, mostly in Helsinki capital area and Oulu/Tampere. Stadin folks are re-classified as soldiers, good and reliable but those who must be at frontline during the battle rather than in planning rooms.

The fact that Qt will be used there doesn't tell you anything about heritage. Trolls didn't really have real world mobile experience prior Harmattan/Belle (sorry, but Qt Embedded is far from real world) and were hard gaining it, sometimes in fights and often learning from failures. The fact that Qt 4.8 has gained 2x boost in file operations performance on Linux and 8x boost on Windows can give you a glimpse to the reality and may cool off a bit. (https://twitter.com/#!/quimgil/statu...86332956979200)

Let's see what Nokia World panels about the next billion would reveal today and tomorrow.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to abbra For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post

No mather if they call it "for low end", "for hi end", "for toasters with touchscreen" - Qt will be the development tool of choice, I'm sure they will stick to QML like Harmattan and now look: In the N9 is a 1GHz single core CPU.
There are already some S40 devices out there with a powerful CPU - not the same core but very similar.

Harmattan is currently very snappy, and will 1 GHz single core in 2 years resist in a hi-end or a lo-end device?

It's clearly the Harmattan successor. MeeGo is only a name as maemo was. Perhaps they will add support for a T9 keypad on top - but the core system will stay nearly the same.

If you ask me I would put this system in a device with state of the art hardware. But if you look at Nokia as it is in the moment you can buy this system soon in a 50€ plasic phone with 3,5" touchscreen, 5MP camera and 8GB storage.
Good points. It already struck as strange that they will invent the wheel again but I was thinking they may have good sources to back up the story.

Most likely it will be Maemo 7 (MAemo 6 = Harmattan/Meego).
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.