Active Topics

Poll: Are you going to buy the "870" when it is released?
Poll Options
Are you going to buy the "870" when it is released?

>What is a 870? Any links?

The "870" is a rumour about the next version of the 770, based on documents found at the FCC about a device Nokia had tested for compliance. The specs indicated that it could be the next model. But when it's arriving, how the final version will look like, what it's going to be called nobody knows at this stage. The documents called it "Internet Tablet: RX-34". (RX-34 is obviously an internal designation, so what the retail version is to be called is anyones guess. 870 is one guess.)

Last edited by TA-t3; 2006-12-11 at 10:26.

No, not unless it has a faster cpu. I'm troubled that the 870 is being designed for reporters rather then users.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Remember how people on the internet began calling Snakes on a Plane "Snakes on a Plane"? We should start referring to it by something to see if they'll adopt the name.

I'm schilling my pennies on "ZOMFG W3B BR1CK". Now I can post pics to my myspace account from that web cam so everyone can see how angsty I am when I'm on the move. ZOMFG!!1!!

'69-Chevvy-BBQ-grill would be more like it...

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
Awe, you guys aren't seeing the bigger picture with the introduction of the web cam. Imagine being able to use the camera as another navigation function. I think we can come up with some open source algorithm to detect movement with the camera and use that data to navigate menus, control 3d objects, show realistic perspectives of virtual environments, etc.

You all will look back on these posts and wonder what the heck you were thinking at the time.

The addition of a camera and extra memory slot just gives us more freedom to create even more great uses for the platform. Just wait and see for yourselves. It'll be great.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
I agree with DC about the camera. I, for example, plan on writing a scanner that uses multiple passes of the 'web-cam' to piece together a complete scan for faxing, etc.

While I certainly have my 'wish list', I am often amazed that the 770 does so much. I haev a laptop and a desktop which I haven't turned on for several weeks.

I DO want to remind Nokia though that until I can print and use USB normally I can't fully replace my other computers.

Also, we don't mention it much but the 770 simply cannot keep accurate time (my clock is currently over 1/2 hour off) and thus cannot be used for an alarm clock or a schedule reminder. I hope that Nokia will realize that the clock problem really needs to be fixed.

Recently someone complained on the maemo mailing lists that updating the system clock with ntpdate did not survive a reboot. A developer replied with a magic command line to sync the hardware clock with the system clock. Maybe that is the problem you're seeing ? I haven't tried yet but it seems to work (although my own drift is more like 30 seconds than 30 minutes :-)

Strange that the clock drifts so much.. PC clocks are suffering from the original PC design I believe, the PC came without a battery so the first thing that happened when you booted (from floppy..) was that you were asked for the current time. So no need to design for an accurate clock, right? And besides, the actual DOS counter couldn't count accurately to 24 hours. So it drifted.
On the other hand, the clocks in both of my old (well, old design by now) Palm Tungsten T3's are very accurate.. strange that the 770 should have a problem. On the other hand, the T3's clock can be synchronized with my BlueTooth GPS time (very accurate!), that should be easy to get working on a 770 as well I should think.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Definitely. More than one in fact.

Originally Posted by benny1967
The real no-no with the "870" is its design: too big, too silver, too retro, too many moving parts (cam, stand), and no metal slide-on cover. Also, it seems the buttons I use most (the ones on top) are smaller and harder to use because they're not separate any longer.
I am amazed by those comments every time I see them. The new device's design and construction is far supperior to the 770's overall. Yes, there are some quirks which I find disappointing (the buttons, as you mentioned) but the retro design is VERY slick to me... and in fact to most people I've asked. It's much more professional-looking.

Originally Posted by BruceL
I DO want to remind Nokia though that until I can print and use USB normally I can't fully replace my other computers.
Bingo. Sure wish I knew what the holdup was...

Last edited by Texrat; 2006-12-11 at 18:14.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Texrat
I am amazed by those comments every time I see them. The new device's design and construction is far supperior to the 770's overall. Yes, there are some quirks which I find disappointing (the buttons, as you mentioned) but the retro design is VERY slick to me... and in fact to most people I've asked. It's much more professional-looking.
So you see those comments often if you say youre surprised "every time" you see them.

Sure, to a certain degree its a matter of taste. But there are other factors as well, and they are not as subjective. When I look around and see the gadgets people carry with them (mobile phones, laptops, music players...), the typical thing is that the kids from a low income, low education background prefer white/shiny silver design, whereas in a professional white-collar environment black or dark grey is predominant. In my office, I never see suit-and-tie people with shiny silver PDAs or mobile phones. They're all grey or black with brushed metal.

What I'm saying is that it's one thing that you and I disagree on the design of the new device. We're just two people whose taste is mostly irrelevant. But: There are some design principles that obviously carry a message, like: black, unobtrusive is serious adult stuff; shiny, flashy is cheap kids' stuff.

Besides: I still don't see how the lack of the slide-on cover will be accepted by 770-buyers. I remember how the clever design (its multi-functional: protection and power-saver) was praised when the 770 hit the market. Would you put your 770 into your pocket without the cover to protect the screen? I'd never. Too scared it would get scratched. What is the alternative on the 870? A condom?