Hello all,
some minutes ago I was wondering if I'll be able to check my email with my future N900... since we should have a full browser experience, I had taken it for granted, but it might be all but easy....
I use gmx.com, always through webmail (way easier than to mess with mail clients IMHO); with gmx I have the possibility to receive the emails of my gmail, hotmail and yahoo accounts all in one place, it might be a great discovery for many of you, I reccomend it.
But, they optimized the website for 1024+ resolutions, and the webmail utilizes a full java interface afaik.
I saw that resizing the firefox window to make it smaller, the interface shrinks too, but doesn't provide enough scroll bars to read part of the emails and buttons.
Could somebody which uses gmx.com try it out please? (you can always set up a test email box too in a minute )

In the case it doesn't work, how could I read/write emails without having to continuously download/synchronize my email box? (at the moment ~6k emails, ~600 MB)

Last thing: gmx.com currently supports only some of the most used browsers, is there a way to change your user agent in the MicroB browser (or Fennec?), like those User Agent Addon addons for firefox?

Thx in advance for the answers! To be able to read/write emails is important!

The Following User Says Thank You to thecursedfly For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
if the site uses full java your out of luck I know the tablets haven't support java yet and I don't think they have plans to in the near future. Also don't see this be UI/theme related so I moved it to Fremantle section.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Last edited by andrewfblack; 2009-10-07 at 02:21.

gmx is a no-go with the n800 and midori or microB (the built-in browser)

Originally Posted by overfloat View Post
gmx is a no-go with the n800 and midori or microB (the built-in browser)
where lies the problem? user agent/java/resolution ?

ps. posted the thread in Design since it had the subtitle "user experience"

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
user agent can be changed but the reason they only let you use certain browsers its because its most likely the only ones it will work with. Java is a problem since its not on tablets, and resolution will be a problem if you need 1024 resolution that could be a problem, but really doesn't matter if there is no java

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
user agent can be changed but the reason they only let you use certain browsers its because its most likely the only ones it will work with. Java is a problem since its not on tablets, and resolution will be a problem if you need 1024 resolution that could be a problem, but really doesn't matter if there is no java
I switched the user agent of k-meleon to firefox, both use gecko, and it worked without any problem on my pc.
but yes, java is a no-go i guess... :/
about the resolution, maybe it could be usable in some way, like trying full screen, zooming out....

POP and IMAP work without problems (everything free), but I think it didn't download the emails in my "Mail collector" accounts (external email addresses from where gmx retrieves the messages), only from the "normal" folders; try it out though, not sure.
Is there a mail application that works with POP or IMAP and that doesn't require to download every time 600 MB/6000 messages, and that doesn't store information on the phone? (actually, the same as the webmail, but working via POP/IMAP).

Originally Posted by thecursedfly View Post
I switched the user agent of k-meleon to firefox, both use gecko, and it worked without any problem on my pc.
but yes, java is a no-go i guess... :/
about the resolution, maybe it could be usable in some way, like trying full screen, zooming out....

POP and IMAP work without problems (everything free), but I think it didn't download the emails in my "Mail collector" accounts (external email addresses from where gmx retrieves the messages), only from the "normal" folders; try it out though, not sure.
Is there a mail application that works with POP or IMAP and that doesn't require to download every time 600 MB/6000 messages, and that doesn't store information on the phone? (actually, the same as the webmail, but working via POP/IMAP).
You can set the built-in mail client to download headers only and to leave messages on the server

Originally Posted by overfloat View Post
You can set the built-in mail client to download headers only and to leave messages on the server
ok, thanks; but once I read an email, it stores its content on the device right? (for example embedded images)
just for information, since this way of going may be enough, even if I hope that the mail application doesn't try to load all 6000+ headers at each startup...

Tags
gmx, resolution, usability, webmail