Active Topics

Notices

OK, here's my thought for the day. :-)

I sticky thread that is basically a list of ported games that aren't (or are?) in the garage.

It seems to me that there are a lot of ports here in this thread that aren't in the garage. that might or might not have deb's. So, someone coming into this thread looking for games that aren't in the garage will come browse. But it might have scrolled off. So they search, but they might or might not use the right terms.

Whatever.

So, if there's a sticky thread that is basically just entries that include the game name, a description, screenshot, and maybe a link to a thread on the game.

Then a newbie or whoever can pop in here, see that thread first, and browse for the games. Instead of posting a new question about DOSBOX, they see it in the list, and click the link for the thread that talks about DOSBOX?

I realize, this would be mostly more work for armins, but :-)...

Just a thought, kick it around or not.

desiv

p.s. OK, I'll admit I'm selfish. I don't want to deal with the hassle of getting my game port in the garage. But my guess is, once it scrolls off the first page in this thread, no one will see it. :-)

Dang it, I spelled suggestion wrong in the title!!!!

Last edited by desiv; 2008-05-05 at 17:32. Reason: mispelling

The Following User Says Thank You to desiv For This Useful Post:
Good idea. It'll stop me having to search for each game each time I reflash my device.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
great idea.
small modification:
- game name (in alphabetical order)
- description
- screenshot (optional)
- link to the game (*.deb) (MANDATORY: imagine the amount of complaints "where can I get this; where can I get that)
- link to a discussion thread - so the sticky fulfills it's job, and that there are no comments concerning one specific game.

a separate category (if not a separate thread, but I dunno here) is needed for non-installable games, such as:
- dosbox
- all the emulators (Colem, fmsx, Vgba... sorry if I forgot some)
- flash games (.swf)
for each of those sections (compared to the installable apps list), we would need the following:
- title (alphabetical for each section)
- [brief] description
- screenshot (optional)
- link (optional)
for the .swf files, a title and a link would be more than enough.

for every single description, no user opinions should be included. No comments regarding the playability of the game are needed either, unless it is to warn that the game is slower than playable.

Have I forgotten something?

Ilia

The Following User Says Thank You to iliaden For This Useful Post:
Posts: 276 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Missouri, USA
Theres some threads around that I'm surprised they aren't stickied. Like the screenshots thread...
anyway, sounds like a great idea, but how bout by category, instead of abc order?
now that i think about it, a wiki would be easier to manage by multiple people

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
I don't really like the idea of a wiki for a few reasons
1) wiki is [almost] always unfinished
2) personally (don't mean to generalize here, but it's true!), I would never edit a wiki due to the time it takes since it has to be perfect, but I would rather write a hundred posts in the forums
3) (in support of 2) look at the current wiki. is there any COMPLETE topic? I doubt it. and look at the games section - it has been there for quite some time. nobody took care of this. I think a forum is way better
4) psychologically, people prefer forums to wiki (only personal experience here; but compare the forums' community and offered support to it's wiki. FORUM >>> Wiki)

I would take care of such a project (forum, that is), but I think that for it to pass, we need collective work. what if we (users) create a thread where we would post the info for each game
- name
- platform (if emulator)
- genre (interesting idea, but I doubt we can find more than 5-10 for each genre... seems pointless at the moment)
- description
- screenshot (with a URL to the screenshot so it can be reattached to the sticky thread)
- link for download

Then, a certain person would take these ideas and add them all (one by one) to the sticky thread. this way we would have a community effort, but not on the wiki.

Once it's done, someone could actually copy-paste this to the wiki...

does this seem realistic, or pure Sci-fi?

Ilia

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Missouri, USA
Sounds wonderful. You're right about the wiki. I never even use it myself, so I don't know why I was stupid enough to suggest it. A wiki would have so much more potential for a collaboration effort but I definitely see why forum would be better instead.

And what do you do when people come by and post other things in your thread? Then the guy who comes by later to put it in the wiki has to fight through an N810/iPhone war to get the content; I think it's much better to just toss it in the wiki.

I think a lot of people have wierd psychological hang-ups about wikis. It's not supposed to be finished, and it doesn't need to be perfect, because someone else can always fix it later.

Would it be easier if I put up an example or two as a template? My wiki-fu isn't that strong, but I can figure it out if someone will follow through with adding more games.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I don't like wikis... Very often very difficult to navigate.

I navigate wikis the same way I navigate forums when seeking information:
Google

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Heh, then what will you do, when the wiki is internal?

EDIT: Anyway, my point is that wikis shouldn't get in the way of the normal users, who often if do know what a computer is, don't know how to search efficiently and what to search for...

Last edited by Bundyo; 2008-05-07 at 07:58.