Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Hi, this is off-topic but...

I'm a regular follower of the Maemo news, being always curious about the ratings. I think in most cases and for more people the ratings make sense... if you consider that maemo.org has been until now a place for open source & non-profit software for developers and power users. Think also that people are not necessarely voting "against you", they might just want to avoid that off-topic news hit the front. What is off-topic? That is subjective...

As a general pattern, Thoughtfix gets thumbs down when talking about consumer devices (including tablets seen as consumer products), Nokia/Nseries PPRR activities, commercial software. You also get some thumbs down just because you summarize about the news, the original news is already on the top and people give thumbs down to echoes not adding more information, which imo is part of a useful community editorial work.

Krisse got also some when her articles were considered perhaps too basic for that audience. Karoliina got thumbs down blogging about Ubuntu desktop and Vala (in the desktop too). The poor Zeeshan gets thumbs down even when blogging about GUPnP development upstream... probably by people ignoring that libgupnp is installed in their devices. That's it, or am I missing anyone?

So what? Does anybody doubt about the overall merits of Thoughtfix, Krisse, Karoliina and Zeeshan in the Maemo development and community? I don't.

I reckon the system is unfair for some individuals and the 4 mentioned above came to complain at some point. If we look at the overall system though I think the process is quite good (and it would be good to have more people rating actually) and the top 5 news in the front are really the most interesting stuff going on most of the times.

The garage news could get more visibility, some of them are quite interesting (many of them are just 2 basic lines though). They always get underrated, I guess because most of the people ratign follow http://planet.maemo.org instead of http://maemo.org/news

Conclusion: Daniel don't worry.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Thanks, Quim!
After watching that pattern and reading your response, I realize that some people are "purists" and want only "maemo as a development platform" related news. It started as a development platform that later evolved into a community but never took things like "editorial content" and "related consumer news" into any official capacity. If that's the case: to each their own.

I still want to make thumbs-down shirts for GeneralAntilles and myself.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
(*) Texrat: the community guy in you deserves to be in the statistic but our sponsorship mini-program is not for Nokia employees. Contact me internally if you need a hand.
That would be cool, but I don't know how I'd be able to pull it off. I *might* have enough airline miles by then to pay for the trip... but I won't know until mid August. Anyway, I'll hit you up in corporate email.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Welcome back, Texrat. We need you to come! Mr. Gil, make it happen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
GeneralAntilles, are you going?
Sorry, I guess I never got around answering for certain either way in this thread, but that'd be a "no". Scheduling issues and whatnot that wont be resolved for sure until well after the the sponsorships are handed out, and I don't want to take up a slot and end up unable to attend (and definitely wont be able to afford a $1700 plane ticket).

Next get-together.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
We have been shopping around for air tickets. RT Berlin to NC can be as low as $810 as of TODAY. Not sure about FL. Orbiz or airline weekend advertisement emails are the most economical. I would be more than happy to furnish more info if interested.

bun

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
I'm flattered that I'm still on Quim's list of "rock stars" despite having being very discreet over here since early this year... mostly out of work overload, sadly. Things have been pretty hectic lately and I've kind of burn out.
I feel similar but I hope it is not so bad. I'm not dead yet but became quite slow. My latest (10 days today) project with one fine lady is here and together with the previous one it takes almost all of my time now :-)

I'd love to go but I simply can't promise anything so I'd apply only if canceling in last minute is not a problem (which is of course not the case, booking costs money).

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Not sure about FL. Orbiz or airline weekend advertisement emails are the most economical.
Well, I started at $2200, and worked down to $1700 from there based on some recommendations from rm_you.

Either way, it's just not gonna happen.

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Lee's Summit, MO, USA
Hmm...during Oktoberfest?

I signed up. My fredit card is going to hate me. I think I'll fly to Helsinki after the Summit; I was there last summer to visit some good friends in Tuusula and Espoo and loved it. Finland is beautiful.

Oh, and the saunas, can't forget those!

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Lee's Summit, MO, USA
And use Kayak.com to find rates, they search all those sites. As for me, I'm gonna swipe the hell out of my NWA WorldPerks Visa. I love flying KLM. Do they do a MSP-AMS-BER flight?

Tags
maemo.org