Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
Wait for a tar.bz2, wip is work in progress, it won't auto magically work when you "port" it

Oh and #NITUbuntu on Freenode to discuss it on IRC (nitdroid, ty for the name :P)
Don't want to poke in the wrong jar.. but wouldn't Nitbuntu sound better?

it won't auto magically work when you "port" it
I think this has alot of info that will be helpful when porting ubuntu

It needs thumb2 support, the stock kernel on the N900 has it disabled as it causes crashes, I already tried to get 10.04 working, but it failed to even chroot into it.
Over in the NITdroid thread theres a new multiboot bootmenu that can flash kernels automatically, ie flash maemo kernel before booting maemo, android before android etc etc. That would be helpful in enabling thumb2 support in a kernel made just for ubuntu so it would leave maemo unaffected.

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Originally Posted by ear0wax View Post
Over in the NITdroid thread theres a new multiboot bootmenu that can flash kernels automatically, ie flash maemo kernel before booting maemo, android before android etc etc. That would be helpful in enabling thumb2 support in a kernel made just for ubuntu so it would leave maemo unaffected.
I'll check it out soon (that thread is hectic!), the image is 1.1GBs, I'll try lzma in a bit since it does better compression.

b-man found the debian link first (seen it a week ago), it doesn't help a lot since Ubuntu is VERY different for some reason (pointer, X, etc..).
Not sure if thumb2 causes it to crash cause of a hardware reason, or cause of maemo, I'll check it today.

Oh and yeah, #NITbuntu sounds better, but too late for that :P

b-man found the debian link first (seen it a week ago), it doesn't help a lot since Ubuntu is VERY different for some reason (pointer, X, etc..).
I think Canonical is pushing arm development alot harder than Debian.

Is it easy to make your own UI/UX/skin on top of Ubuntu?

I have a few ideas that (I think) would make a killer experience on the N900 (and any larger tablets). I have these as .bmp images for you to peruse but I've only completed (e-painting) 2 segments out of the 4 I planned.

So if its easy/fairly easy my idea could be useful (purpose of this question)

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Is it easy to make your own UI/UX/skin on top of Ubuntu?

I have a few ideas that (I think) would make a killer experience on the N900 (and any larger tablets). I have these as .bmp images for you to peruse but I've only completed (e-painting) 2 segments out of the 4 I planned.

So if its easy/fairly easy my idea could be useful (purpose of this question)
I am not sure what exactly you refer too.. but you can make themes for gnome. If another shell is used it is also possible to do themes for them.

One is for "window frame" and then "icons" and "cursors". You can change it fully to then one you are happy with or mix different kinds.

This is a great site fore theme hunting:
http://gnome-look.org/index.php?xcon...87285ba84ba421

Last edited by AlMehdi; 2010-07-10 at 10:44.

How will right click work in NITubuntu? I dont really care for easydebs "click and hold" style right clicking, Id rather see a modifier key used (cam key maybe?) so you would hold modifier key then press screen for right click.

Posts: 235 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Costa Rica
Originally Posted by BLIZZARD View Post
Also BackTrack mobile os is cooming soon
http://www.neopwn.com/
:-O great news !

I wanted to know if there is a guide to install ubuntu on the N900?

Tags
bada rox