Posts: 138 | Thanked: 164 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Chateauroux, FRANCE
has anyone installed meego on N900 and started developping something in qt4.6 and see how it runs ?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
(While it's possible it's got Atom optimizations without fallbacks, I can't imagine actually doing it at this stage -- ability for more people to tinker with it would seem to trump the very slight performance edge.)
Across-the-board, MeeGo requires OpenGL/OpenGL ES acceleration, and MeeGo x86 has a minimum system requirement of a Core2Duo processor. More specifically, MeeGo x86 requires Supplemental Streaming SIMD Extensions 3 (SSSE3). x87 support is dead and buried with system developers dancing on its grave.

The Wikipedia link above contains a list of x86 processors that support SSSE3--and therefore, MeeGo. AMD fans, it seems, should be looking at other Linux distributions.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Across-the-board, MeeGo requires OpenGL/OpenGL ES acceleration, and MeeGo x86 has a minimum system requirement of a Core2Duo processor. More specifically, MeeGo x86 requires Supplemental Streaming SIMD Extensions 3 (SSSE3). x87 support is dead and buried with system developers dancing on its grave.

The Wikipedia link above contains a list of x86 processors that support SSSE3--and therefore, MeeGo. AMD fans, it seems, should be looking at other Linux distributions.
Would a rebuild/recompile of MeeGo on x86 not work then?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
Would a rebuild/recompile of MeeGo on x86 not work then?
As I understand it, using the build service to create a version of MeeGo without the SSSE3 requirement should be reasonably straightforward. In fact, I believe a few Moblin Meego developers have encouraged those who inquired about the possibility to go ahead and try it.

MeeGo system developers simply warn that compiling for older, non-SSSE3 hardware will create an operating system that is unbearably slow on netbooks. Also, as the core MeeGo developers are quite firm on the SSSE3 requirement, I'm not certain how interested they are in receiving patches for, say, x87 fixes and tweaks.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The Nokia schedules for Maemo 5 releases are totally independent from the MeeGo project schedules.
Hey Quim,
Do you know when the first version of meego for the n900 would be available. One with a working UI?

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
The first release of MeeGo is planned to be released in May.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
I am very excited. My birthday is in May and I get to play with MeeGo v1.00.

Just two questions:

(1) Can I assume we will still have the rootfs limitation (e.g. optifying packages)?
(2) How compatible will the current maemo packages be with MeeGo?

is there any step by step introduction gettin meego 1.0 working on an intel atom netbook, got one of a friend at the mom, want to play little bit 'round it downloaded the files from the meego site.. next step?

greetings & thx

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Meego 1.0 comes next month.