number41, what are your reasons to use tor for TMO access ?
What are the benefits in doing this ?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by number41 View Post
Don't get me wrong and nothing personal, but are you blind enough to believe that? I'm sure that merely *reading* the site through tor makes spam posts appear (ahem), but perhaps that is a bit of an outdated measure, considering spam hasn't stopped.

I'm sorry to say this, but the whole "blocking tor prevents spam" cheap excuse didn't cut it back when it started, and considering that spam hasn't stopped at all, continuing to block it points at another purpose, a hidden one.

In case TOR gets unblocked and spam starts to appear, I'd bet the very staff would be the ones doing it in order to further further justify blocking tor.

TMO has f**ked up. First it blocked TOR and now it has google captchas? I don't have a facebook account, should I expect one to be required for login soon?
I can assure you that you are on the wrong track, and I am sorry you have the feeling that someone has pissed in your cereals. That has not happened in reality

TMO is not selling anything to anyone and will not ever do that as long as I get a say in things. There's never going to be any integration whatsoever with any social-crap-media-site login systems whatsoever, as long as I have any say in things.

I can say this with 100% certainity since I am part of "the staff".

@chainsawbike told the truth as it is, it is not Tor that is blocked but some Tor exit points that have gotten on a general blacklist. Such thing exists, I know because I used to run a Tor exit node sometime back and I got on all maner of blacklists because of it.

Now as it happens I am one of the people advocating Tor and we are currently debating few things how to amend this; one way being studied is that we route an *onion adress for TMO, then Tor access from inside the network would be possible.

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by tvicol View Post
number41, what are your reasons to use tor for TMO access ?
What are the benefits in doing this ?
There are god reasons to use Tor when logging on to TMO, see for example here; http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=52

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
honeypot
Do you actually know what that is? How could this site, of all places, be one? Who exactly is supposed to be lured into the pot? Those captchas and blocking (essentially all of) Tor are misguided decisions at worst.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Actually, his idea is not far off (honeypot)
A honeypot is a system, a clone you could say, but as opposed to the "real" system, it's configured to attract criminal minds to attack.
The honeypot is then setup to monitor and capture all traffic, to catch information on attackers .
No, TMO is not a honeypot, but maybe we need one

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
TMO is not selling anything to anyone
I am sure this is the case, but you know, there is a Chinese proverb, or so was I told. It goes like this, "If you are walking through your neighbour's field of melons, do not stoop down to tie your shoes."

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
T
[...]
TMO must track users and sell data to google in order to earn some cash?
[...]
It's hard for me to believe that TMO has enough traffic to produce enough personal data to be worth anything.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Yeah, you're all right, I'm going overboard. I'm sure I'm entirely wrong and the Maemo is right all of the time, even though the explanations part might sound off, I'm sure I'm all paranoid and all that.

Thanks for clearing that up. Hey uhh, if I bet a Neo900 that no TOR will be here until 2018, will the staff buy me one when it's finally in production if I win? In case I'm wrong I'll buy one for you guys as soon as it's bought as a ready device.

= )

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to number41 For This Useful Post:
Yeah, you're all right, I'm going overboard. I'm sure I'm entirely wrong and the Maemo is right all of the time, even though the explanations part might sound off, I'm sure I'm all paranoid and all that.
Paranoid is good, no problem with that. I understand that it is sometimes difficult to evaluate what is going on, needing to trust other people who handle things.

The good thing about Maemo Community is that we are a community of people and not a company; everybody who does anything here is voluntary and it is possible to get involved if one so desires. That's one thing you cannot do when dealing with corporations, it would be downright impossible!

Thanks for clearing that up. Hey uhh, if I bet a Neo900 that no TOR will be here until 2018, will the staff buy me one when it's finally in production if I win? In case I'm wrong I'll buy one for you guys as soon as it's bought as a ready device.

= )
Lovely offer really, I'm almost tempted to take you up on it
Fortunately I have my own Neo900 coming down the line and I probably don't have need for two devices...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
It's hard for me to believe that TMO has enough traffic to produce enough personal data to be worth anything.
But as a honeypot it would be worth something as only the queen bees are around it

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Lovely offer really, I'm almost tempted to take you up on it
Fortunately I have my own Neo900 coming down the line and I probably don't have need for two devices...
Sorry but you probably have. It is my biggest worry about Neo900. The most rare and unique device in the history of usable mobile hardware with a hoped for life cycle of about 10 years could surely by sided by a spare..

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:

Tags
literally, modsellingusoff, qwerty21, timetoforkoff?