Active Topics

Hi, I'm looking into an Internet Tablet, mostly cause All I do all day long is get on the internet, lol. I have a few questions though. I'm mostly looking into the Nokia 770, But am open to other suggestions.

1. What is the browser like? Is it like Click and you go to that page?
2. Keyboard. Whats that like?
3. Instant Messengers. Does it have any built in? If not, Do sites like eBuddy work?
4. Games! I'm assuming someone has already put Doom on it, But I'm mostly into Casual Games. I'm guessing there are a few out there?
5. What are the advantages of the 800 over the 770? Other than the SD slot, Skype and upped Specs.
6. Also, has anyone put like an Emulator on it yet?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject!

Thanks!

Last edited by Syntra; 2007-09-22 at 03:03. Reason: Added Question 6

Originally Posted by Syntra View Post
Hi, I'm looking into an Internet Tablet, mostly cause All I do all day long is get on the internet, lol. I have a few questions though. I'm mostly looking into the Nokia 770, But am open to other suggestions.

1. What is the browser like? Is it like Click and you go to that page?
Yes, you just click on a link and it works. To scroll you just move the page with the stylus or the edge of your finger.

It's pretty much identical to a browser on a PC, it even runs Flash content.

The screen is sharp enough and has a high enough resolution to display most pages at full width, without the need for horizontal scrolling.

There's a button on the top of the tablet which lets you switch the browser to full-screen or back to the desktop view, and a couple more buttons that let you zoom in and out.

2. Keyboard. Whats that like?
There are actually many different ways of entering text, you can use whichever way or ways suit you best.

I did a little video and text tutorial all about this for a site I run called the Internet Tablet School:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/200...h-buttons.html

Also, here's another one just about Bluetooth keyboards:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/200...and-using.html

The Internet Tablet School is meant for beginners, I've tried to make all the tutorials clear and simple so that anyone can understand them.

3. Instant Messengers. Does it have any built in? If not, Do sites like eBuddy work?
There is an IM client built into it, but I'm not a huge IM fan so it's probably best if someone else answers this one.

4. Games! I'm assuming someone has already put Doom on it, But I'm mostly into Casual Games. I'm guessing there are a few out there?
There are a few Linux games which have versions made for the tablet, and these are mostly casual games.

However, maybe the coolest thing about the tablet is that you can play Flash games with it. More complex Flash games may run a bit slowly, but simple casual ones are generally fine.

5. What are the advantages of the 800 over the 770? Other than the SD slot, Skype and upped Specs.
I'd strongly suggest getting the N800 if you can afford it. It generally does stuff better, and apart from the much better specs, it's receiving updates and support from Nokia and others, with new software being written and released all the time.

There's also a new version of the firmware (the tablet's operating system, basically) on the way which will work on the N800 but not on the 770.

The 770 has stopped being updated and there's not as much software being written for it. The 770 is a relatively old device, it came out in 2005 but the N800 came out in 2007.

6. Also, has anyone put like an Emulator on it yet?
There's an NES emulator out there, and presumably others too although I haven't come across them yet. Maybe someone else can answer this better?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject!
No, don't apologise! This board exists for people like you. :-)

Last edited by krisse; 2007-09-22 at 11:30.

Wow thanks a lot! I'm going to be making around 600$ here soon, so I'll probably have to get the 800.

Another thing, How does it run Youtube? (the 800 now) I'm on there too much, so its important to have it on there.

EDIT: BTW, your site rocks!

Last edited by Syntra; 2007-09-22 at 11:45. Reason: Edit

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Greensboro, NC
One of the 3rd party programs (UKMP, which is a media player) has a feature UKMP Tube which optimizes the YouTube playing experience. Bottom line: YouTube works fine according to many users. Try the "Search" feature of this forum at the top of the page and you'll find lots of info on this.

Get the N800, you'll love it.

Sweet! I will pick up a N800 once I get paid!

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Somewhere, most of the time.
Another advantage of the N800 over the 770 is you can expand the memory a little mor, it's not something that is needed but can be usefull. The N800 has 2 SD card slots and it supports SDHC, although I think there are a few issues if you use SDHC. The 770 has 1 memory slot and that uses RS-MMC or Mobile MMC cards.

Again not a big deal but can be usefulll depending on what you use it for.

Originally Posted by dan67sf View Post
Another advantage of the N800 over the 770 is you can expand the memory a little mor, it's not something that is needed but can be usefull. The N800 has 2 SD card slots and it supports SDHC, although I think there are a few issues if you use SDHC. The 770 has 1 memory slot and that uses RS-MMC or Mobile MMC cards.
This is quite a big advantage actually. If you buy two 8 gigabyte SD cards and put them into both the slots, the N800 has a total storage space of 16 gigabytes which is about the same as an iPod. You can use this for anything you want: music, videos, applications, games, ebooks... anything.

Yeah, I saw that.

But also, whats the battery life like? I heard about 4 hours for the 770? What about the 800?

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Somewhere, most of the time.
I can only speak on how mine does. I usually keep it in offline mode, I think this disables the Bluetooth and wifi. Also alot depends on the percantage of the CPU you are using and the volume you have the speakers set to.

But for me with average usage of 4-5hours of continuious use with my usage statistics being about 35% if the time wifi and bluetooth on about 35% of the time I use it for multimedia, mp3's or movies, with volume around 60% and other times of usage is doing PIM stuff playing some if the simple games or reading on it. With it on standby and with little to no usage, screen off and wireless off, after 2 days it think the battery indicator still had 3 bars left on it. Again these are just going from memory and are rough estimates.

Wow! thanks a ton man.

You guys have been really helpful. So as soon as I get paid its gonna be Nokia N800 Time!

Yet another question though!

I saw someone do OpenTTD on the 770, Does that work on the N800?