Originally Posted by pearl62 View Post
dabuplayer, I think you missed my point... A mono headset does not support A2DP. SBC decoding is not trivial, and an optimized headset design does not have the power to decode SBC, and still allow a long battery life.

Since they will see the target device does not have A2DP support, phones, PDAs, PCs will probably make the connection to a voice headset like the HS850 via the headset profile. I don't think Millhouse has added headset profile support... It seems specifically targeted to A2DP only.
well, a2dp is more a quality standard than a mono/stereo one. I don't know if there are any a2dp mono headsets (i searched for the Motorola HS850 specs and it's mono with no a2dp profile) but a2dp supports stereo as well as mono.

One application of this would be for underpowered devices like the n770 where you would like to watch a movie through a2dp and don't care about stereo sound, so switching to mono saves a lot of processor time and battery.

Indeed i misread your answer, thinking the original question was whether a2dp supports mono or not.

cheers

I work for a company that makes Bluetooth chipsets that specifically target automotive Telematics solutions, and I can say that A2DP in general is not trivial. A headset designer is most specifically optimizing for low power, and so would not want to have to provide the extra processing bandwidth required for the SBC codec (the minimal codec spec specified by the A2DP profile). That's one big reason why stereo headsets are generally much larger (to accomodate larger batteries) and have talk times defined in hours compared to days for a mono headset.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ California
Thank you for your post, but I am a novice, so I need some more "basic" instructions on how to install the becomroot package in device in R&D mode. How do I get to the "repsoitory" to application manager and how do I enable R&D mode? I also need some more guidance for installing the A2DP software. Where do I find the software, how do I enter the scripts, ets. Wish I wasn't so unskilled at this. My email address is paul@hiplaces.org or post the help. Thanks!

Milhouse: This is a new query, unrelated I believe to anything above, but as it concerns A2DP, I believe it is appropriate that I put it here.

It concerns my inability to play ogg-formatted music on Kagu using my Bluetooth headphones. Without burdening you with the details, I had to rip one of my cd's using my Linux box as my PC's cd-player wouldn't recognize that particular cd! When I transferred the ripped music to my N800 and scanned with Kagu, it was readily accepted and played by Kagu -- except when I tried listening to it using my Bluetooth headphones (which of course were enabled for Kagu use by your wonderful A2DP application). Can you see any reason why your application wouldn't be equally viable for ogg-formatted music as it is for MP3? Any help would be appreciated, as usual. Regards, Jim

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Probably a limitation of mplayer, would be my guess... Serge might be the best person to ask, in one of the mplayer threads.

Not being funny guys, but am I living in cloud cuckoo land with this idea.

N800/N810 running OS08 (when it finally comes out!)
Streaming internet radio (God I only want radio 4 for God's sake!) to my Sony MBR-100 (currently pointlessly bought), which is (currently uselessly) plugged into my hifi (okay, okay i'd settle for BT stereo headphones).

Does anybody even think this is possible. Or are we in the realms of yet more code?
I mean from a user point of view this is a consumer device for nearly $600, isn't it.. Not a development box with loads of wires hanging out of the back.
For the sake of a2dp, Bluez (wtf!), CP30, or R2D2 come to that!
I mean will this 'simplified' work around (no disrespect to you guys, but have you read some of the "look all you do is", posts on here!) even apply to OS2008, or are we starting from scratch again?

Other than the lack of A2DP, the thing is a perfect device for remote control music in my house, but at nearly $600 (£289.00 in the UK) to take a course in Linux. I think my CC will be staying in my pocket for the time being.....
Other than that I'll have a go bugger it up and end up paying somebody to sort it out. Any takers for that one!
"Errr dad, I think I've broken it"; "Stupid boy...."

Last edited by ukdutypaid; 2007-11-12 at 12:19.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Based on what I've heard so far it seems like for 2008OS it will go something like:
1) Edit /etc/bluetooth/audio.conf and uncomment some line
2) Pair your headphones/stereo
3) Install Kagu
4) Launch Kagu and click its Bluetooth icon
5) Hit play and music comes out of your headphones/stereo

I don't know if it would be frowned upon or even be all that smart but it seems like someone could just make a package whose entire purpose was to update the configuration file in question. So that first step might be "install enable-a2dp.deb"

In 2008OS it should be much easier for applications to support A2DP, but it's not enabled by default.

I've been listening to internet radio with my Bluetooth A2DP stereo headphones and my N800 for some time now thanks to the excellent instructions posted in this forum by Sachin007. Do a search of his postings if you're interested in following through before the new firmware is released. And even afterward, if the new firmware doesn't manage it on its own.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Picture that: a bluetooth receiver hidden in the glove box in your car. Your tablet on the dashboard, with no messy wires in sight (well, maybe a charger, but that's a fine gauge wire with a small connector), Kagu streaming music via bluetooth to your car stereo.
You approach a waypoint, Kagu stops playing and Maemo Mapper (or the integrated maps program, your choice) gives you indications (again, via bluetooth to your car stereo), then music resumes playing.
Will that be possible with OS2008?

Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
Based on what I've heard so far it seems like for 2008OS it will go something like:
1) Edit /etc/bluetooth/audio.conf and uncomment some line
2) Pair your headphones/stereo
3) Install Kagu
4) Launch Kagu and click its Bluetooth icon
5) Hit play and music comes out of your headphones/stereo

I don't know if it would be frowned upon or even be all that smart but it seems like someone could just make a package whose entire purpose was to update the configuration file in question. So that first step might be "install enable-a2dp.deb"

In 2008OS it should be much easier for applications to support A2DP, but it's not enabled by default.
Oh yes, that's the impression of the process I get as well, but this is for OS7 and not 8, so any minor tweak and I'm lumbered with it.
It's still a ridiculous oversight IMHO. I mean I shouldn't have to be even studying this at all.

Out of the box, errr click, click, point...
Toy!, development box, errrr useful..... I mean how bleeding edge does one have to be! Why not sell the thing in kit form, or as one of those ridiculous magazine part works, while they're at it..

I'll say the heretical.... .exe file....!

Comment this, comment out that indeed...

Sorry, I'll go back to lurking, readin n learning.. I know this ain't a discussion forum..