Active Topics

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by tso View Post
looks like speaker and mic. At least one side seems to have a small hole in it like one find on a phone...
So they made space for a mic, but they were challenged to find space for a relatively flat speaker like the kind you find in the previous tablets or in these newer Nintendo DS machines. I'm not sure it was a matter of space so much as the need to make it LOOK more like an iPhone. Yanno.. copying their look.

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Well i dont really know what that space was for... but my guess would be to put in all the phone stuff. Anyway if they wanted to increase the size of the device, i would think screen size would be the first and front spacing speakers will never figure in anyone's list except yours.....
It's possible that I may, in fact, be the only person who wanted louder, front-facing speakers.

Last edited by danramos; 2009-08-19 at 22:17.

Well they almost ignore the US already.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ColdFusion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I have two problems with your posting, aside from the grammatical ambiguity:

1) I'm curious to know where you obtained that analysis. I would like to know satisfaction rates from 770 to N800 to N810 among purchasers and people who considered purchasing. I'm genuinely curious to see if it's gone up or down along the way. Has Nokia published this information anywhere?

2) I'm referring to the many people who criticized that specific aspect of the N810 (the side-speakers) when they began to buy them up and posted their critique. As I recall, there seemed to be a general opinion that the N800 had the much better audio arrangement.
i'm sorry for that. my main language is german, second language spanish, third language portuguese and only on the last place is english... i hope you understand that. also i'm too tired to write upper case letters (here is after midnight). my post was not intented to be an offense. it's just, that i'm often reading, that the n800 is so much better than the n810, and the n810 is so bad quality and so on... i just wanted to say, that i like the n810 more than the n800 because of the metal backplate, the transflective screen (vs. reflective) and the smaller form factor. for me the form factor was the biggest deal, and i love the design of the n810, but i hate the design of the n800. i don't need the two full sd card slot, because i've an extra hard-disk mp3 player...
overall i think that nobody can say, that this or that device is better.. it is just better suited for the needings of different people. the fact is, that we can't design ourselves the devices and we must find the device that is best-suited for us.

1) i don't have any statistics regarding that. but the n810 was sold much more than the n800.

2) that is possible, but i would prefer the speakers on the side and a better design of the device instead of a slightly better soundquality and (in my opinion) bad design. if i want to hear music (or in my case watch movies) i go with in-earphones. that gives even higher quality.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by dagwud View Post
I'm just sayin' - not everyone needs or wants a data plan.
Not to mention that in the US, Verizon and AT&T are slowly changing everything in that regard:

http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com...rting-us-wifi/

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
It's possible that I may, in fact, be the only person who wanted louder, front-facing speakers.
I agree with louder. Front facing doesnt really do much for me. Personally, people are often very surprised at the speaker strength that I get from the n810. I havent used a single Handheld that sounds as loud or as clear.

Louder Louder Louder, as long as it doesnt sound like $h*t.

A 56% markup isn't too bad. But in the States, you're looking at 162% markup.

That is, an 8GB iPod Touch is $229. An un-subsidized, no-contract-required iPhone 3G 8GB is around $599 (at least according to the news stories, I've yet to see one available at that price.)
Ouch, that's pretty bad. Still, considering all the hardware in it, I think the rumored price for the N900 is quite reasonable. I've always paid for phones up front, and frankly I was expecting it to be even more. If you look at the manufacturers' profit margins, it's only Apple that's managing to charge huge premiums like that (big surprise there ).

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Cruelkix View Post
I agree with louder. Front facing doesnt relly do much for me. Personally, people are often very surprised and the speaker strength that I get from the n810. I havent used a single Handheld that sounds as loud or as clear.

Louder Louder Louder, as long as it doesnt sound like $h*t.
I would just be happy to hear the N810's GPS on a rural road.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I would just be happy to hear the N810's GPS on a rural road.
Really? I hate that crap. I always turn teh voices and sounds off. Drives me crazy. All you need is the map. Maybe a chime to tell you when a turn is coming up, but the voices, oh the voices, how I hate them. "Make a U-turn" ugh

I've had an N810 for two months now.

I like the device a LOT but I find that the applications and software that is available to it is very amateurish (is that a word?) and/or not supported anymore.

I would have gotten this device if it had run on another operating system.
Will not buy anything where I don't feel that it's supported by the manufacturer (like in the case with the N810) as the hardware looks great. Maybe Nokia should give up on trying to do s/w - or to try to 'outsource' it to an unpaid community. I thought that was why they bought Symbian as they realized their shortcoming in the area.

Anyway, to each his own. I respect anyone who wants to 'keep at it' with this operating system but it's simply not for me.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
A 56% markup isn't too bad. But in the States, you're looking at 162% markup.

That is, an 8GB iPod Touch is $229. An un-subsidized, no-contract-required iPhone 3G 8GB is around $599 (at least according to the news stories, I've yet to see one available at that price.)

Now, carrier subsidized, the phone is $99. But it requires a 2-year, $30/month data plan. As I spend my day at a computer, and have one readily available at home, I can think of better things to do with that $720.

I'm just sayin' - not everyone needs or wants a data plan.
For $599, you can get an unlocked 16GB 3GS now. That's a Cortex A8 device with a decent amount of ram. Right now Apple has the 3G 8GB at $499, but the rumor is that soon they'll replace that price point with a 3GS 8GB.