Active Topics

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Dalat
Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
Tell us the name of the program.. then we could see what technic that are used.
+ The name of the Program is: "7MP", "HD Camera", "5MP"...etc...

+ I tried it, and it work great with my iPhone 2G with 2MP Camera. With really bring my photo up to 5MP, but the quality still good. I don't know how they did that

Originally Posted by masloff View Post
i strongly advice the topicstarter to read a book of Ansel Adams, and stop pointless pursuit of additional megapixels

although it wasn't an answer to your initial question
+ I really don't know what kind of stuff you guys are thinking in your head!

+ If you have no-interrest in photography, then just go, and don't post non-sense comments.

+ If you are interested in it, then here is the steps:

1. Buy an iPhone

2. Go to App Store, buy the App

3. Then take a Photo of yourself, compare it on the Computer to see which Photo is better (The 2MP Photo which is taken from Original Camera Program, and the 5MP which is taken from the 5MP App).

4. Find out how do they do it!

5 Then make a program using the same technic and use it on N900.

=> So? Anyone who gave no interest, please stop talking non-sense, and don't try to blame people about their idea and how big their photo is!

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
You really should learn the basics of digital imaging. The basic principle with those applications is that they just resize the image to a larger image and try to fill the gaps without providing any more information to the image.

But yeah, what the OP says, is somehow possible though in a few years. See the following article on wired or wikipedia.

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/02/ff_algorithm/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressed_sensing

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
You can touch up your images with the very nice Ansel-A application. I suggest you try that first. And there's the full gimp under easy debian that is the full desktop version with all the features.

PS this thread should be in Applications, and should have [Request] in the title, to avoid confusion.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Last edited by mece; 2010-08-18 at 08:29.

Ek! I see some photo taking program try to take 3-5 photo at a time, and a long time calculating, it produce a bigger and better quality photo...>_<

Posts: 266 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway

Hi can you please explain to me what your "signature" means?

regards

"Sex is not the answer. Sex is the question. Yes is the answer..."

The screen resolution on your iPhone is 480x320 (960x640 on iPhone 4), so even a 2MP image is downscaled when displayed on the screen. Downscaling means that only one in X pixels is displayed, depending on the ratio between your screen resolution and the image resolution.
As you zoom in you gradually see more individual pixels but less of the overall image. Eventually you reach the 100% zoom where every pixel on the image is displayed by exactly one pixel on the screen. Zoom in past that and you will see that several pixels on the screen show a single pixel of the image - the image will look blocky. Your screen is now upscaling the image using the crudest form of interpolation - the zero-order hold - where every image pixel is displayed by a square of Y screen pixels. The program you speak of does the same thing, but it uses more sophisticated interpolation techniques so that the image looks better. One thing remains the same in both methods - you don't gain any new information and detail that wasn't already captured by the camera.
Now, take a 2MP image and an upscaled 5MP image, view them both on your iPhone screen at full screen and they will look exactly the same, because both are downscaled to the iPhone screen resolution. View them on a larger resolution screen, however, and you can benefit from the quality upscaling because it would not, ideally, be as blocky as the 2MP image. However, you should note that even a full HD display has, surprise, 2 million pixels, so it will be hard to find an actual display where you can use this benefit.
Note that all this time I was talking about a 2MP camera. The N900 has a 5MP camera already, so upscaling those photos is even more futile.
Hope I cleared it up for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to thearcane For This Useful Post:
Thank you! THEARCAN, but I already compare both photo on my PC, on 1 screen. It bigger >_< OMG! It's really bigger, but somehow, the photo which is taken from 5MP app, it get a little bit brighter. But the quality feel like the same. That's why i'm so confuse >"<! LOLz, that's why I dream to have such a program on N900 5MP, hahaha...

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Shouldn't you have an iPhone?

We've been through this, and you simply skipped through the replies with longer words. So let me explain this in your style:

+ the PC screen you have is smaller than 2 MPx. You compared nothing.

+ brighter means more loss. It's hard, I know, but trust me and just accept it.

+ iPhone is magic. Several posters before you can swear by it having a better identical GPS, a better worse screen. We don't do magic.

+ You have been answered. There are apps in the "shop" that do what you want. Read Mece's post. You know, all the letters.

+ hihi, haha >-< and all that jazz.

If you can bring yourself together to stay in one place and read, here's the review of 7MPx IPhone app: READ ME!.

From the article:

"out first impression that there was no real difference at all"
We told you so.

"In fact, everyone in the office thought that the lower resolution version was marginally better, as it had better overall exposure (the 7MP version seemed slightly overexposed)."
Overexposed is "brighter". And, as I said, brighter is worse.

"Determined to give the app a fair go, we tried a series of shots, and each one had the same disappointing results."
[...]
"Unless there’s an over-riding reason for outputting larger sized files from your iPhone, you’d be better off sticking with the standard camera and saving that 59p for a nice choccie bar."

Sound advice.

So there you have it. Does nothing. Worse quality due to scaling up artefacts, recompression, loss of exposure due to recompression.

There you go. Stay in school.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
I disagree that a program can impact the image quality, what can impact the image quality is the setting , with some simple setting you can take Great shots which is reflected in the image file size

i use to take great shots with this phone and with my cybershot camera and really i'm convinced with what i'm saying