Active Topics

I have bought two N900 from cellphoneforever. They were not new! It seems to me, that they throw some pices together. It is better to look for a good one on Ebay.

The Following User Says Thank You to Acurus_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Florida
Hey guys. Long time, no post.

Yeah, I JUST made that mistake.

Bought an N900 for me and an N8 for my brother-in-law from celphoneforever. All in all, I dropped about $390 on them.

They finally come in and the N8 has the WORST battery life I've ever seen on a device. 6 hours of sparse use drains the battery. Along with about 40 pictures from the previous owner or whatever (there were some Chinese people, camels, what looked like a festival and some dude sleeping. No joke). I'm sure the battery is not genuine and since it's "hard" to get to, he figured no one would look. I'm not even gonna attempt to find out.

As for the N900, the only reason why I bought one is because I used to own one (broke the USB port on her and then destroyed the mem, rest her soul.) This "new" one feels very...not new. And to top off the whole bit, GPS DOES NOT WORK. Also, when I flashed the /root and eMMC, just to make sure the install wasn't corrupted, I used the USA eMMC file. Well, for some reason, it thinks I have an AZERTY keyboard when in fact its QWERTY. The strangest thing I've ever seen.

I already sent him a message about the N8 insisting on a new battery or phone. But after the crap I've been through, I'm gonna demand a refund on both devices.

Moral of the story: Bad sale is bad.

The Following User Says Thank You to vebulous For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by vebulous View Post
Hey guys. Long time, no post.

Yeah, I JUST made that mistake.

Bought an N900 for me and an N8 for my brother-in-law from celphoneforever. All in all, I dropped about $390 on them.

They finally come in and the N8 has the WORST battery life I've ever seen on a device. 6 hours of sparse use drains the battery. Along with about 40 pictures from the previous owner or whatever (there were some Chinese people, camels, what looked like a festival and some dude sleeping. No joke). I'm sure the battery is not genuine and since it's "hard" to get to, he figured no one would look. I'm not even gonna attempt to find out.

As for the N900, the only reason why I bought one is because I used to own one (broke the USB port on her and then destroyed the mem, rest her soul.) This "new" one feels very...not new. And to top off the whole bit, GPS DOES NOT WORK. Also, when I flashed the /r
I have an AZERTY keyboard when in fact its QWERTY. The strangest thing I've ever seen.

I already sent him a message about the N8 insisting on a new battery or phone. But after the crap I've been through, I'm gonna demand a refund on both devices.

Moral of the story: Bad sale is bad.
The GPS problem was not uncommon with real N900s and was fixed by changing the location info (located in settings) to Google from Nokia. I don't have a N900 in front of me now so I'm not certain of the exact setting, but it was something like replacing www.nokia.supl with www.google.supl.

You are a right with the have to changing. But your address is a little bit wrong.

supl.google.com

is right.

Last edited by Acurus_; 2012-07-21 at 08:50.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
The GPS problem was not uncommon with real N900s and was fixed by changing the location info (located in settings) to Google from Nokia. I don't have a N900 in front of me now so I'm not certain of the exact setting, but it was something like replacing www.nokia.supl with www.google.supl.

Originally Posted by Acurus_ View Post
You are a right with the have to changing. But your address is a little bit wrong.

supl.google.com

is right.
Tried that. That only helps the GPS to lock on your location faster. What my problem is that it made no connection with any GPS satellites, whatsoever. I saw a bug that was reported on the issue. I even downloaded a troubleshooting .deb. And yes, I did the change from sulp.nokia.com to supl.google.com, this only helps the coarse lock.

What I did was disable the Network Assisted lock option (con't remember exactly what it's called) then I stayed out under an open sky for an hour and still, it couldn't lock on my location. (GPS = dead)

I'm returning the phone, and unless someone on here can give me a good deal on another N900 (actually, real, used N900)... it brings tears to my eyes, but this is the last of the great Nokia Phones, and yet Nokia abandoned it.

Moral of the story: Nokia Dead900

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
you better start trusting Chinese. they will be producing everything you inhale in the very near future

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Look closely at the photo that shows the accessories. They are not N900 associated.

Can anyone tell me: I bought a new phone, again off Ebay, this time from the USA. On the box, the label says: N900_NOKNA_BLK

I.e. Nokia spelt wrong!

Date on box label is different to that on phone polythene wrap, and headphones are WH-101 and not WH-701.

Am I dealing with a fake N900 also?

Thanks in advance

Last year I have bought two N900 from Cellphoneforever via Ebay. Both had been sold as "new". The first one was ok and looked very non used. Othewise I found some things one this phone, therefore it was used before. The second N900 crashed always. I sent it back and get another one. When I received it, it was too late, to give cellphoneforever an bad Ebay feedback. This second one is a horror phone:

1. Rightwards to the border the display is getting slightly darker:

2. If your are wondering about the color of the "Nokia" character in the top left border, then you are right. The "Nokia"-color is wrong and the color of the boarder itself is changing to pink! Definitively: Cellphoneforever sold me a "new" N900 with an imitated boarder or what ever .... :

3. The "j" on the keyboard has lost color, therefore this one was used intensivly before (not me, I never used it!):

4. And this is the box, Cellphoneforever put the "new" N900 in:

I have paid 160 Dollar for this rubbish.

Last edited by Acurus_; 2012-07-25 at 17:24.

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by Maeman View Post
Can anyone tell me: I bought a new phone, again off Ebay, this time from the USA. On the box, the label says: N900_NOKNA_BLK

I.e. Nokia spelt wrong!

Date on box label is different to that on phone polythene wrap, and headphones are WH-101 and not WH-701.

Am I dealing with a fake N900 also?

Thanks in advance
NOKNA stands for Nokia North America, which is pretty much expected if ordered from the US. Don't know about the box and original headphones, frankly because I have no idea where mine are so can't check, but to me it seems legit. Mind though that I haven't heard of fake N900 (the model isn't popular enough) - all scams involving N900's I've heard of are genuine but refurbished devices posing as new - and these refurbished devices are easy to notice, i.e. if your device is a used one and you've unboxed it, you would have noticed by now.

The Following User Says Thank You to NiQ For This Useful Post: