Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Looks like the 16GB cards are finally starting to show up.

Patriot 16GB class6 card is available in www.ecost.com

Price $159 (after $20 rebate).

Anyone using 16GB card yet? (Personally I'll wait until the memory card corruption bug is solved before trying... )

Hmmm...do we know if the current operating system will support 16Gb? From a cost standpoint it is a good deal when you consider the average class 6 8Gb card will run you about $80 bucks.

I'd buy one of these and move my 8Gb to the external slot...when, as you said, people get a handle on the corruption problems.

I'd also wait for them to show up at some place like newegg or buy.com. I've used ecost with success in the past but ran into several issues; high shipping cost, out of stock when reported in stock, innaccurate descriptions, reports of issues when a return or exchange is required.

Thanks for the heads up of ecost... I never purchased anything from them.

While 16GB cards are not being told to be supported, I can not see why they would not work? AFAIK, the interface specification is not different than smaller size SDHC cards.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
This is an incredibly cheap price, I really hadn’t expected 16gb to be this low for at least another year. Maybe we should buy 2 now in case it is a mistake.

The only thing that holds me back is the vexed matter of sdhc corruption and there are reports of issues with Patriot cards. I wish Nokia would sort this out, somehow I doubt that it ever will.

Another US source for $169.99
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...facture=Others

Amazon Germany have it for €279.99
http://www.amazon.de/SDHC-Class-PATR...0317149&sr=8-1
Why do we Europeans always get rooked I wonder?

It's not like support for super-big SDHC cards couldn't be rolled up into yet another custom kernel.

Are you saying the current Nokia firmware does not support 16gb cards? I had assumed that sdhc support covered all card sizes up to the theoretical 32gb limit.

If a specific kernel is required for 16gb then I shall hold off on considering the purchase.

Though the question might be somewhat academic as I may not be prepared to risk the outlay given the Nokia kernel debacle and the prevalence of Patriot cards in the susceptible list.

There must be someone here in this forum who can speculate the 16GB support... Somehow I'm thinking about the writers of the original SDHC patch might be able to answer that question...

The 16GB cards are no longer in stock in eCost. Apparently someone must have bought them... but not N800 users?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Rebski - I'm sure the current SDHC kernels should work with 16GB+ cards, but nobody knows for sure until someone tests with a 16GB card.

With the latest kernels the developers didn't add "8GB SDHC" support, they added "SDHC" support which should cover all anticipated card sizes (8,16,32GB) covered by the SDHC specificiation.

However until someone tests with a 16GB card we will not know for sure if they did the job properly - bugs (as if we don't have enough already) could prevent 16GB+ from working, or it might work without a problem (I tend to think the latter).

Frustrated capability seems to be the hallmark of the N800.

All things considered, I am already pushing my luck with both 4 and 8gb sdhc's.

Best to wait this one out.